Emile Foam Build-- NO PEPAKURA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Combinestrider: Thanks. Welcome to the 405th, btw!
Also, I have a little sneak preview for everybody:
mms_picture (47).jpg
....mwahahahahaaa!! More later..
Happy building!
-TBB

All right! Did some cranking and mostly finished the kukri and sheath!! Not quite done; still needs detailing and color and sanding, etc. but it is mostly done. Pictures!
Parts- I sanded down the tang(still doesn't go through all grip parts, that's why some are whole) and put it through a bunch of grip sections which I will sand and detail later.
mms_picture (48).jpg

The knife in my hand-- self-explanatory.
mms_picture (49).jpg

The rough sheath, made of cardboard. let's hope the hot glue holds.
mms_picture (50).jpg

Knife in the edited sheath. Again, still needs editing and finishing.
mms_picture (51).jpg
17 days until Reno Wizard Con! Hope you enjoyed, and happy building!
-TBB

Quick update: did a little sanding as well as some dipping and painting on the kukri and sheath over the course of the day. Still in progress.
mms_picture (52).jpgmms_picture (53).jpg
Happy Building,
-TBB

Awesome! The build is really cool, Emilee is my favorite on Noble Team. Really cool how its all freehanded. I like your approach with doing the knife.

Thank you! Glad you like it. Your build was also really neat. I'm trying to work in some crunch time because I'm going to a con in Reno on the 20th..

All right! Finished and painted!
mms_picture (54).jpgmms_picture_1 (8).jpg
Now, the matter of attaching it to the shoulder! If ANYONE knows how to attach it(preferably non-permanently) PLEASE tell me.
Happy Building!
-TBB

All right-- the shins have been killing my brain as I try to think of a non-crappy way to do them, but this is the best I've come up with. Still needs sanding, still needs testing; this is just one shin piece. Wish me luck.
mms_picture (55).jpg
Happy building!
-TBB

Good luck on the shins man! For the kukri, did you want just the knife on non-permantly, or the sheathe too?

Good luck on the shins man! For the kukri, did you want just the knife on non-permantly, or the sheathe too?
Well, since they're kind of a package deal but I want to be able to draw the knife and possibly remove it later, I guess I would say the sheath? Also, I may end up re-doing the shoulder(s) because they kind of suck.

Sooooooo, anyway: Update on the shins. Piece one is nearly done and I think I'll use nearly the same template for the other one. I just need to shave down the back edges so it's not a long front to back. Unfortunately it's 10:45 at night, so I can't exactly break out the dremel and go to work; I'll have to do it later. What I CAN do is post pics.
mms_picture_1 (9).jpgmms_picture_2 (10).jpgmms_picture (56).jpg
If it seems short, it's because I need to do the upper-shin bit and the knee guards. It's not the best, but it's progress and I'll take it.
Happy Building,
-TBB

Hi all! I finished the shin. I took off some of the back extra and added the final piece. Just needs sanding, detailing, dipping and painting.
mms_picture_2 (11).jpgmms_picture_1 (10).jpgmms_picture (57).jpg
Later! Happy Building,
-TBB

Well, since they're kind of a package deal but I want to be able to draw the knife and possibly remove it later, I guess I would say the sheath? Also, I may end up re-doing the shoulder(s) because they kind of suck.
Hmmm, you could hot glue gun the sheathe on, and then attach a buckle fastener to the side of the knife and the sheathe facing the costume. Might not look one to one, but it'd be functional. You're right though, that's a tough one.

All right! The new shin is slightly smaller than the other but it's not that noticeable. Here they are rough, then sanded with the base black coat(sorry for the poor quality):
mms_picture (58).jpgmms_picture_1 (12).jpg
Happy Veterans' Day and happy building, everyone!
-TBB

edit: 4 pages! Hell yeah!

how about magnets? Attach some earth magnets to the shoulder piece and the back end of the sheath and you can remove w/ leaving any permanent remnants like hot glue or Velcro. You can them paint over the magnets and it becomes part of the suit's look.

I considered magnets and tried it for the other shoulder, but that won't be what I'm doing. What I will be doing is gluing a plastic adjustable strap buckle onto the piece and its twin on the back of the kukri sheath. That should work pretty well. Thanks for looking at this thread though... :)

I don't yet have pepa but i have been doing costuming for over 6 years and your pieces are quite good. Another method for getting correct sizes is wrapping paper around the area you are making. you may need 2 people for this. once you have the area covered, you can trim off pieces you don't need and cut what you don't want on the piece it self. once that is done, cut a straight line in a spot you think best where to attach the piece back together at a seam. for example, on a forearm piece, i would cut on the bottom from the crook of the elbow up towards the palm along the edge of the arm, not dead center (i tell you after why). you now have a perfect size template for a of piece of armor. Keep in mind, the template is now sized to wrap around, not be seamed anywhere. to do that, you need to do test pieces. Take the template and cut it in to 4 parts (but if you cut the template off dead center your cuts will be in the wrong spot). your arm is not perfectly straight so don't cut straight lines. If you look at your forearm, the top part is near straight but the bottom portion tapers off towards the hand. so your test cut needs to have that angle as well. assemble all the parts and try it on, cut and trim where necessary. i know this is sounding like a lot of guess work, but the end result will be a better fitting piece than if you just had generic plans sized for a 7 foot Master Chief and tried to fit yourself in to it. This is the plus side of free handing.

That is actually a pretty interesting idea. I'll consider that for my next build.
Now, a costume update! The lower half of my costume needs detailing, a waistpiece, and kneeguards then it's done. Maybe some ankles. Enjoy!
20151112_221448.jpg
Happy Building!
-TBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back