Employability Skills Gained From Armour Making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Of Intent

I'm at the point in my University life where I really need to start thinking about what skills would be desirable for employers, and as far as my hobbies and interests go, all I can really think of is gaming and making armour - Neither of which seem applicable to a career in Geography.

To an extent, employers are even interested in those who participate in team sports, if only for the "teamwork" aspect. Given the amount of time I've put into armour making so far, surely there would be some general transferable skills I can make note of in a CV, such as the ability to adapt to problems when they arise, and dealing with time constraints or deadlines.

So, fellow 405th'ers, I ask you, is fibreglass armour making something which would be recognised as a valid hobby by employers, and if so, which specific skills would you say you've learned during the completion of your projects?

Many thanks for any advice you can give!

I would actually advise caution for who you share it with. I think it actually cost me a job. The interviewer asked want sort of hobbies I was into and I mentioned that I do this. There was a short pause, after which the interviewer said, "well, my son would be interested in that." I think I knew right then that I had been disregarded for the job, even though I had interned with them before and they were more than aware that I was a very capable employee. This was an interview for a job within an architecture firm where creativity is sought too, so it was a real let down. You mentioned that you're looking for something in geography. Unfortunately, I don't think this hobby will help you out in that area. It would probably help out in a field like engineering or something like that.

Gauge the interviewer though. I may have just been talking with someone who had something against video games or something like that. You could talk with someone a bit more in tune with what your interests are and really make an impression.

Good luck either way.

I was worried they might just see it as an extension of a person's interest in video games... sorry to hear about it costing you the job.

It might be safer to take it out of the context of video games, and only mention it with respect to 3D prototyping from card and fibreglass, although that's pushing the boundaries of honesty.

At the present, I'm only using it to fill out a sort of "reflective diary", like the work experience aspect of a CV which details what you have learned from activities / societies, so it's not like my future job is depending on it right now. It's unlikely I'll head straight into a career in Geography, but I'd like to at least start off with somewhere that requires some of the qualifications I have. Cheers for the heads up on the interview though, I haven't had much experience with judging an interviewer's character, but I'll make sure that if it does come to me describing costuming as a hobby I'll play down the "gaming" part as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back