Energy sword

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most likely you won't find any Energy Sword that can be used for stunts. Ultrasabers and other sabersmiths make them durable and most of the available sabers are marked as stunt sabers. Only ones that are more fragile, like they have open crystal chamber, etc. they are not really recommended.

However, there is no durable energy sword. The whole construction is impossible to make it withstand blows and stress and it will break every easily.

As for the effect where it lights up - along with other BoomCos, Mattel will release an Energy Sword later on that can light up and has sounds.

But those will be more geared towards children sizes. Nothing that wouldn't look a bit awkward in an adults hands.

What you are looking for would be like a "stage sword", meaning It looks just like the real thing but the entire build is thicker (To withstand blows and not mark up much) but, it makes the sword slightly heavier than normal. Though, your odds of finding one already built are slim to none, I recommend building one or talking to people who make acrylic props and see if you can work something out. If made right, I'm sure it could have some glowing effect added on to it. Hope this helped out some.

But those will be more geared towards children sizes. Nothing that wouldn't look a bit awkward in an adults hands.

Actually it looks nicely in adult hands. Sure, the sword isn't 126cm long, but it still looks actually great.

attachment.php

What you are looking for would be like a "stage sword", meaning It looks just like the real thing but the entire build is thicker (To withstand blows and not mark up much) but, it makes the sword slightly heavier than normal. Though, your odds of finding one already built are slim to none, I recommend building one or talking to people who make acrylic props and see if you can work something out. If made right, I'm sure it could have some glowing effect added on to it. Hope this helped out some.

Sorry if I barge in, I don't mean to intrude. A sword for stunts - duelling is quite impossible. The lightsaber has the shape you can manipulate to make it durable to the stress of duelling. The energy sword hasn't got the shape and will break under the stress - the blades don't come out straight like on lightsabers - they go out at the angle and this is where it will break.
Mattel does their BoomCos more durable, as you can see on the sword higher - the blades are already connected twice to prevent them from moving, but still if you'll use too much force, the blades will break from the handle.

Iam shure it can be done ...... got a grand?

If you are willing to get crafty anything is doable within reason
only math ( FEA physics can stop something from working )

so layers.
polycarb
LIGHT bounce in here /\/\/\/\/\/\\/\/\
mylar( can be chrome paint ...
core of FR4 fiberglass sheet 1/4 in thick or heck honeycomb AL sheet you want sometihing super stiff and rigid
mylar( can be chrome paint ...
LIGHT bounce in here /\/\/\/\/\/\\/\/\
Poiycarb

with thus you need 2 sets of lights top and bottom of blade
whole blade is about 3/4 inch thick...
Whole thing is wrapped in One layer of fibergasss and clear epoxy. as a bonus it will help diffuse the light well!
sand a tad and then have it

FR4 is what we used to make PCBs for electronics stuff , super stiff and impact resistance
http://www.mcmaster.com/#grade-g-10/fr4-phenolic/=11olaxt

you can embed UHMW or DELRIN as a wear strip in the edge of the blade.

at the handle beef up the FR4 board. Yet mount it in a way where it can bottom out and not crack. " compliance " as its known in mech eng.

man at arms makes them only they'll cut through just about anything.

You can't be serious. xD
They make them out of steel, so it isn't a real Energy Blade. XD

- - - Updated - - -

As for non-duelling energy swords, you can do them and many people can do them. You can use plexi to make them.
But none of these will be a dueling sword that you'll able to play and duel with.

The blade itself can be made out a durable material like Lexan. The hilt is made from a resin cast. They are attached together with glue, screws, etc...

The failure point is rarely the blade or hilt; but the blade hilt junction. The torque from a simple swing is enough to tear it apart, let alone a strike.

The 3 dimensional vacuuformed blades are more durable. I know from experience that they can handle some light sword play. Just nothing as durable as a "stunt" lightsaber.

I've done some light sparring fun with mine when the kids would attack me with light sabers. It is layered 1/8" polycarbonate (think plexi-glass) glued together. No real problems. Sure it's not perfect but she gets the job done.

20150129_004138.jpg

I put a build on here.

Attachments

• 20150129_004138.jpg
    20150129_004138.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 556
The blade itself can be made out a durable material like Lexan. The hilt is made from a resin cast. They are attached together with glue, screws, etc...

The failure point is rarely the blade or hilt; but the blade hilt junction. The torque from a simple swing is enough to tear it apart, let alone a strike.

The 3 dimensional vacuuformed blades are more durable. I know from experience that they can handle some light sword play. Just nothing as durable as a "stunt" lightsaber.

You've explained it better than me.
While blades and hilt can be durable, the connection of these two parts is the weak point that can break a lot easier. :/

You can't be serious. xD
They make them out of steel, so it isn't a real Energy Blade. XD

- - - Updated - - -

As for non-duelling energy swords, you can do them and many people can do them. You can use plexi to make them.
But none of these will be a dueling sword that you'll able to play and duel with.

no but they did have them for training.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back