erayachi's Mark VI Build (WIP) - Part 1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It only took a day and a half of nonstop pepping, but left shoulder and right forearm now complete!

My cat figured it just wasn't worth taking the shot unless he was in it.

update_Apr27.jpg

Unrelated to that....I wish. Wish. Wish I had a printer that could print on cardstock. I've tried with 67lb and 110lb and this hunk of junk won't print on anything but regular paper. All of this pepping would sure be a helluva lot quicker if I didn't have to glue the paper to the cardstock (sometimes more than once crappy stick glue) before cutting it out and folding it. I just don't have the money to purchase a new printer...

Wait, you are printing on regular paper, transfering to cardstock, and you STILL get results like this? Wow, talk about lemonade from lemons... A difficult situation and you are trooping right through. I salute your determination. I'd let you use my printer but I'm a province to the east, so gas money would probably be about the same as a new (cheap) printer.

As I mentioned, great work! I look forward to more updates! Also, tell your cat that he has good taste in armour.

looks awsome so far, wouldnt think that paperclay would be light enough to go on the cardstock....im actually just starting a tex build myself haha. awsome work ^,^

Wait, you are printing on regular paper, transfering to cardstock, and you STILL get results like this? Wow, talk about lemonade from lemons... A difficult situation and you are trooping right through. I salute your determination. I'd let you use my printer but I'm a province to the east, so gas money would probably be about the same as a new (cheap) printer.

I think the price of gas to travel to a neighbouring province would probably be 4-5 times the price of a cheap printer. xD There is a plus side to using paper glued to cardstock. I waste a lot less cardstock when I run into scaling problems, because I only glue the regular paper to cardstock as I need the pieces. Thus, if it starts to look too small/big, then I just recycle the cheaper-to-buy paper and start over.

Still takes a buttload of time, though.

looks awsome so far, wouldnt think that paperclay would be light enough to go on the cardstock....im actually just starting a tex build myself haha. awsome work ^,^

Plaster goes on the inside first, to strengthen the armour. Then comes the paper clay/paper fluff. It is heavy when wet, so it's why it's the last stage before painting. :) Looking forward to seeing your Tex build soon!

----

*unfettered old gentleman's British accent* In other news, I have just super glued my fingers to my computer mouse. Huzzah.

One shopping trip later...I found some nice visors at a local motorsports store. Both visors were originally $39.99 each, but the very nice gentleman at the store said I could have 'em for $10 each (since he didn't think he'd ever sell them). They're not gold, but....they so pretty.

Oh, and I found the orange cone for the Grif costume. Heck ya!

update3.jpg

update2.jpg

And after I lined the inside with a few layers of plaster, I've started slathering the newly pepped pieces with oatmeal...er, paper clay.

update4.jpg
(this cat sits next to EVERYTHING I try to take a picture of...I swear...)

I'm lost. I have no idea what instrument to use when cutting the motorcycle visor. I don't want to use the wrong tool and crack/break it. I won't even attempt cutting it until I find out the safest way to cut it...

looks great so far! keep up the good work!!! oh and "protect me cone!" my big question is how did you find those visors!!!!! im so flipping jealous of you!!!!!! must...have...visor....*(zombie noises)

For cutting the visor you need to use a dremel, with I'd say a ehhh 1/16" cutting bit? If someone could confirm that I think that's a good size. But simply put use a dremel or other type of rotary tool.

Great job so far though!

looks great so far! keep up the good work!!! oh and "protect me cone!" my big question is how did you find those visors!!!!! im so flipping jealous of you!!!!!! must...have...visor....*(zombie noises)
I Googled for local motorsports locations. I called one of them to see if they stocked motorcycle replacement visors--they did. Then I took a bus to the store and bought them. :D I guess they don't sell them that often 'cause mine were coated in dust. It was a very nice little store.

If you don't got time to order them online, using a phone book or Googling can do wonders for finding local motorsports places. Also, thanks!!

For cutting the visor you need to use a dremel, with I'd say a ehhh 1/16" cutting bit? If someone could confirm that I think that's a good size. But simply put use a dremel or other type of rotary tool.

Great job so far though!

A dremel! Ahhh...I see. I...I don't know what that is. My father, who cuts and installs glass for a living, might have information on that. In any case....to Google! (Thanks very much!)

ooooo red visors?! Awesome.
Also lol @ the cone hahahah

Thanks, Anna. I think you and I are on the same 'what to do' stage with our visors, if I recall your recent postings. ^_^

Wow. Can't believe you print on regular paper THEN glue them on cardstock! So much work. If you lived closer, I'd just print it out for you. I could've just mailed it to you if you were in the same province. (I'm in BC)

But with that said, couldn't you just find a friend who has a printer and borrow it for a day? If that fails, just save it as a PDF and get it printed at a local printshop. Can't imagine it costing more than $0.15 a page. I'd say that's worth the price for your time and effort!

Great job so far though!

i confirm that you think that's a good size... jk :p ...

21R8Z5HK7WL.jpg

that's the best bit to use for cutting visors. a dremel 199 bit.
try either of these websites. as both are outside of australia i can't vouch for either's reputation, and i usually just buy mine through work...

amazon
acetool

you can pick them up for a few bucks at most hardware stores, but you will need a rotary tool to use it with. also, it won't shatter/explode and gouge your eyes with small shards like the fiber discs can... you still have to be careful though about not cutting yourself, or getting flying bits of visor in your eyes. remember to wear safety glasses :) ...

also, kudos on using the paperputty... i never would have thought of doing that...

Thanks, Anna. I think you and I are on the same 'what to do' stage with our visors, if I recall your recent postings. ^_^

yea we are! Except that I am putting my mark 6 helmet on hold and instead goingto install a visor to my Kat helmet soon. - Just finished resining it.

Yay for clicking on links in peoples' sigs here! I am loving how this is looking thus far! I can't believe how much extra work you have with the pep, you poor thing! But it's looking fantastic! :D Nice job on getting the visors cheap, too - not looking forward to that here x_x

Also totally love that you have a cone for Grif xD Just had to put that out there! I'm totally subscribing to this thread, can't wait to see more!

Alright, so it's been a little bit since an update with good reason. There's good news and unfortunate news (for me).

Good news first. I bought 67lb cardstock and my PRINTER WILL PRINT ON IT. So all of my remaining pieces, while having a flimsier base, no longer need 2x the work to complete.

I have pepped and/or finished 90% of BOTH costumes. Yes, both mine and the fiance's costume. I did that in less than 1 week.

Now here's the unfortunate news.

Anime North, the big debut, is this upcoming weekend.

Except for the chest piece for my fiance, I did the remainder of the pieces in Low Def, because I just didn't have time to go high-def. And I have to now turn all these freshly pepped pieces into solid armor in the next 48-60 hours. It's doable, sure, since the plaster and paperclay process doesn't take half as much time as the actual pepping. It still means I"ll be getting very little sleep before Friday rolls around.

Here's everything I've pepped/finished. Tomorrow the visor goes into my helmet--it doesn't look like Grif will get a helmet for the convention, but I will make one once it's over. It's okay, my fiance kinda looks like what I'd imagine Grif looks like...in my mind...I guess...

update5.jpg

The black armour gets a final coat of actual black spraypaint once it's ready, whereas Grif's armour must be painted by hand...maybe...well I'm going to worry about the painting job last. At the very worst, I'll have to pick up a generic orange spray paint and do the job on Thursday.

In the meantime....CAFFEINE. LOTS OF IT.

Thanks for the support, everyone :)

Glad to hear that you found a way to cut down on your pepping time. Hope everything went well, and that the caffeine crash wasn't too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back