European Adhesive brands for

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickNuman

I have a short question, and maybe I'm just triggering the noob-trap for not having researched enough or something.
I also hope I don't misuse the forum with opening a single thread for my issue, but I don't wanted to mess around in the non-new-recruit-forums (if could, anyway).

I read a lot in the forums about adhesives for pepakura and now I am wondering what kind/brand of glue you people in Europe/Germany use for assembling your pepakura models.
Since I am not a big fan of hot glue I have tried the "Pattex 100%" but either I did something wrong or the drying process takes about ages.

Maybe this is a little blunt and noob-ish, but my question basically is: with which kinds and brands of glue did you guys in Europe/Germany make the best experiences?

Cheers.

EDIT: Aaaaand I accidentally hit ENTER while typing the thread title. Great. Here wo go. Shame.

Dont worry mate! We've all been new at some point!
Except for Chernobyl.
I think he was born a master of all things Halo to be honest. I doubt he is human anymore o.o
Anyhow, I personally used UHU glue which im sure you would find in Germany since its a German brand.
To go a bit more into detail, i used the UHU twist and glue since i thought i could use the flat option to glue the fiberglass mat on the inside.
Also, here's a pro tip: Use only a small drop for each flap and then use the back end of a brush (or any stick you have lying around) which i for example have sharpened to get to corners easier, to spread the glue around the area you plan on sticking.
In that way, you save up glue, it dries a tad faster while still giving you time to adjust and you dont have a lot of excess glue going everywhere :D
Best of luck mate!
Cheers ^^

Well, it doesn't really come to the brand as to the type of glue you're using.
You can use best glue in the world, but if it's a slow-drying glue and not meant for that type of stuff - no-go.

I personally always use a super glue.
SUPER GLUE - this is love. this is life. Brand doesn't matter as much as you want to use this type of glue.

After what you said, I can only guess you did use different kind of glue, but you really want to use super glue. It will bond the pieces within 2-5 seconds and then they will tear apart, not come apart like you said. Super glue works always.

I read a lot in the forums about adhesives for pepakura and now I am wondering what kind/brand of glue you people in Europe/Germany use for assembling your pepakura models.

I was at exactly the same point, when I started researching on this armor-building stuff... Lot's of Google and Wikipedia Usage later, I think I managed to "translate" the most product names into german and putted everything together in an invisble amazon.de list so I could remember and order it long-term. I'm not in the pepakura stuff that much and plan to use the foam-method, so my knowledge maybe a bit missing your targets, but hopefully it comes in handy anyways to you or maybe some other project-starters in Germany...

To glue your paper parts together, any "Sekundenkleber" should be OK - use Pattex or UHU and using some gloves could be a good idea to not glue the paper to your skin... I guess the point here is, that it drys fast which lets you work at a proper speed. It's like Palmer said: SuperGlue is your life in this case.

When the tutorials speak of "BARGE CEMENT", "Kontaktkleber" is meant. The brand (like BARGE seems to be one) does not matter. Example: "UHU Kontakt Kraftkleber flüssig, 645 g in Dose"

"Adhesive Spray" is exactly what it sounds like: "Sprühkleber", "Velcro" seems to be just standard "Gurtband" which you can get in several widhts, "SINTRA" in the States is the same like "FOREX" here in Germany: "Kunststoff Bastelplatten" - you can find those on amazon or order them at photo shops, cause this stuff is used here to put photos on it...

"Styrole" sounds like "Polystyrol" or "PS" and that's just right - you may look for "Polystyrol Platten" in your local Hornbach, OBI, Bauhaus or on amazon.de - this is quite handy for creating flat areas inside spaces you dremeled out of foam or anything else.

The famous "PlastiDip" can be found on amazon here, too, under the same name. Otherwise it's just called "Sprühgummi".

"EVA mats" or "puzzle mats" are "Schutzmatten" or "steckbare Turnmatten" you can buy in sets of 4, 8 or more on amazon or in many sports-shops, mostly sized 60x60 cm. "Foamies" or "Craft Foam" are thinner EVA mats you can buy at the most "Bastelgeschäfte" :) - on amazon.de you will find some marketplace-shops which will import/deliver the original Foamies from the US.

If the plan is, to connect several layers of "Kunststoff", you may try the above mentioned "Kontaktkleber" which seems to be the solution for the most glueing issues or you give "UHU Allplast" or a try. "UHU Spezialkleber für harte Kunststoffe" is nice for glueing FOREX on FOREX - don't ask why, it's just what the text on the packaging sais...

And if you don't have to heat the suit up too much, after it's ready, maybe "hot glue" is quite handy, which here in Germany is exactly what it sounds like: "Heißkleber" - the most common or maybe the best bet is to use the stuff from "Steinel" - they produce the "Klebesticks" as well as the "Heißklebepistole" - I used their products for many years to glue nearly everything together and I was never disappointed.

Hope, that someway helps anyone. :D Happy armor-smithing!

... I think I managed to "translate" the most product names into german and putted everything together in an invisble amazon.de list so I could remember and order it long-term...
This basically is my life right now. :D

Thank you, your post really helps a lot. All that brand names can be a little confusing when it comes to research.

CommanderPalmer said:
After what you said, I can only guess you did use different kind of glue, but you really want to use super glue. It will bond the pieces within 2-5 seconds and then they will tear apart, not come apart like you said. Super glue works always.
Just what you said. I decided to give "UHU twist & glue" a try (which in german apparently is "UHU flinke flasche", which actually is NO kind of a translation here), and in my first test it does work to get the cardstock together.
Since my first helmet model turned out WAY to small and i rage-crashed it to the garbage can, my second try will be supported by this UHU stuff. Wish me luck, I'm not really the patient type of person. :D

Thanks for the advice!

I watched some pep-tutorials and was like: "NOOOOOOOOOOO WAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! :angry"
I actually encountered my first real problem after assembling the first few parts.
Halo 4 Recon Helmet. And now there are two pieces which should fit together by the Pepakura designer, but the numbers don't align.
So before crashing the whole piece again I'm just calling it a day, hoping for some kind of solution tomorrow. Grr.

Not exactly the description of the perfect Pepakura-User... :p :angel Man, you have all my respect. I watched some pep-tutorials and was like: "NOOOOOOOOOOO WAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! :angry"

I'm VERY impatient person with huge problems to focus on one thing at once... basically ADHD. xD
But well, at least there is time and even if at slower rate, we can get this done.

At least you watched some pep tutorials... I just went in and printed pages... without even scaling first...

My thinking was: If I do this, I'll do it right. But my first try went into trash after a few pieces anyway. :D

So tomorrow I'll figure out that stuff with the incorrect numbers on these pieces that should fit. Or I'll build my way around somehow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back