EVA Foam Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuricanMeerkat

Hey guys,

Ive been doing pepakura build for years now and I finally decided to try out this EVA foam stuff. People have told me when its finished (the foam armor), you need to spray it with plasti-dip spray. Will the spray change the texture? There is some spots of unwanted hot glue on the outside of the armor. Will the spray do a good job of hiding it?

The texture itself won't change as plasti-dip will bond with the foam. Put a couple layers of plasti-dip on as well to help harden it, and it will also help keep the paint from cracking if the foam bends too much when wearing the suit. You'll want to remove any excess hot glue before applying the plasti-dip, and you'll also want to fill in the gaps with either joint compound (i.e. wall plaster) or silicone. Don't be afraid to sand on the foam either, but when you do don't use anything below medium grit. I worked with pep for 2 years before switching to foam, and I can say it is a lot easier to work with and less time consuming, though I still recommend pep for helmets.

I normally just pluck at the excess hotglue with my fingernails or tweezers. Don't yank to hard though or you might tear the foam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back