Evangelion EVA Unit 01 foam build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I have encountered a bit of a conundrum. Does anybody know how I might be able to attach these foam peices to the black suit i will use as the undersuit? unlike halo armor which fits snug around certain places, Evangelion has pieces that need to be physically attached to the undersuit, such as the belly pieces I have been working on. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, this is my fourth post in a row. I know people are looking at this thread, so please, discussion is greatly appreciated.

suit: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Full-Body-Suit-Large/dp/B006Z8ZHVI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_t_3

hey man i dont have a solution for ya but i love your work so far keep it up. i love eva. i was thinking of making unit 1 or 2 cosplay

thanks dbz, I'm gad you actually posted. its post like that which help motivate people to continue work (if you do an eva build, do unit 2, so much simpler)

anyway, UPDATE
half way done with the chest base
IMAG0019.jpg

What I have so far torso wise:
IMAG0020.jpg

You can hot glue your pieces straight onto fabric and will hold fine. I must confess I have not read all your thread so it may depend on the material your undersuit is made of but hot glue does bind to foam very well and will soak a little into the fabric so in my experience get it right first time cause you can't pull it off the fabric once set. When I glued the panels to the back of my gloves one wasn't quite right and was a b**ch to get it off. If you check out Toja's build I think he hot glued his foam straight onto his undersuit and it turned out fantastic, I might be wrong though. When I get round to finishing my Iron Man MK V suit ALL the pieces are going to be hot glued straight onto the undersuit so that's how much faith I have in the technique.

Good luck and keep up the good work,
Tom.

Well the undersuit is made of that stretchy fabric is it is a cover all suit. I'm going to cut out a hole for the face. links at the top of the page. Also I finished the flaps that go in front of the chest. I think I'm going to start work on the entry plug/ backpack area next.

okay just got to say, unit one is the best one of them all, not because it's an angle but becasue in the end it's a key. sure halo 4 has unit 00's head but man if you put that head on the chief i'll take a step back. oh and one more thing have you made the pilot suit to wear under the main suit.

okay just got to say, unit one is the best one of them all, not because it's an angle but because in the end it's a key. sure halo 4 has unit 00's head but man if you put that head on the chief i'll take a step back. oh and one more thing have you made the pilot suit to wear under the main suit.

Uh, this is just a Unit 01 build. It would be pointless to go through the trouble of making a plug suit to wear underneath because I wouldn't be taking the unit costume off, plus everyone and their mother who did an evangelion build chose the plugsuit because it's so easy. Also, Unit 01 isn't an angel. The only evangelion that was an angel was Unit 03. It doesn't look like the rebuild movies are gonna end the same way as the series, and this build is based off of the unit 01 from the rebuild movies.

I have close to ZERO experience with models. The only reason why i recommended simplifying it was because you said the tabs where too small. Also if you noticed hotfile requires a half an hour restriction between downloading each file. As said be fore I recommened anybody to use 4shared, works for everybody and doesn't have ridiculous restrictions. Also, I was able to get a copy of your chest plate unfolded from mediafire (was the only one that worked for me) and it was all connected which wouldn't work If I were to print it out. How did you fix that for you? Also, what size did you use for the chest? if it wasn't too small i can just make it a size it up a bit in my pep program and see if it will fit me.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, I've been swamped with work and other stuff. I haven't even found the time to start on my torso!

About the tabs, its possible, I was just having a cry because it was so time consuming. I did get there eventually and it looked legit. Too bad it was too small.
As for the other stuff, I would usually say GOOGLE IT but since you've all been so helpful to me, I'll divulge.

Its stupidly simple to collate them all into one page. You just turn on page numbers, print them all out, and glue them all together. Provided you've got some super glue or high strength adhesive, its legit.

There are various methods for scaling, and the best one would be to have some photos of someone who already did your suit and get a ruler and calculator out and do all this junk, but I won't explain because I didn't do it. I didn't do it because I can't find any pictures of decent eva 01 builds. So instead, you just measure yourself up on one dimension of the piece of the suit (length, width or height eg. for the chest you would use width because that's the most easy to measure, whereas you'd use length for a leg) and input it into the corresponding field in the scaling menu- 2D Pattern window> change the scale of development> specify the scale. But it takes some trial and error. That's why I made too small the first time. It's not perfect.

Btw, love how you wound up doing the chest plate anyway. Did you wing it? It's just such a great way of doing it. Like, if you do a pose where you push out your chest, the chest plate will move with with your pecs. Don't know if you intended it that way, but it's awesome and I never would have thought of it.

Considering how goddamn small eva01's hips and abdominal area are, we're probably going to look like the fat versions of it...

Hehe yes I did wing it. the only problem i have with it is they cover my entire chest right up to my shoulder, so I am hoping that the shoulder pylon has room to fit. I plan on attaching it to the chest and back somehow because in the movies if you look closely they don't move with the shoulders, but with the upper torso. also the hips and shins will be pretty skin tight pieces, basically hugging the form of my legs. I will focus on that after I'm done with the crotch, back piece(s), and the pylons. I am still trying to figure out a way to color the undersuit for the shoulder and forearms

Dying the fabric?

Also, have you given any thought as to not ballsing up the human proportion factor like this?
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=e...nw=80&start=0&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0,i:88

Don't get me wrong, it's a valiant effort that didn't turn out too badly, I just wish that it turned out more like this
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=e...39&start=17&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:17,i:138

This one isn't too bad either, although they make them look kinda chibi.
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=e...w=141&start=0&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:76

Just from what I've seen by image searching, most people can't work out the head but this one's freakin sweet.
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=e...w=153&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0,i:82

This one too
http://www.meetup.com/bayareaanime/messages/boards/thread/21679872

well I don't have much control over it. Remember, I am going solo on this. unlike other builds, I have no real guidelines, no reference, no previous projects or progress threads to work off of. that picture on the first page is the only good reference picture I have. Right now the only thing i can worry about if finishing one body part at a time and praying it looks good put together. As for dying the fabric, unlike all those other builds, I plan on doing the shoulders like they should be, directly on the shoulder. If you look at unit 01's shoulder, you will see it is purple and green before going into black again. It isnt armor, so I'm not gonna make it out of foam. that leaves me with two choices, either color the fabric of the undersuit or uses that colored fabric and sew it on.
shoulder.jpg

regular mech, though beserker/divine mode would be easier. You would only have to do one pylon and the right arm would be flesh. You also wouldn't have to make the chest.
divineunit01.png

evangelion222-03.jpg

If you were a skinny, tall dude you could just paint your skin for the arms and other non-armour parts. That would be awesome

I'm too scared to start on the torso, because i have to stick 124 pages together. I'm starting the head instead, but I'm halfway through the chin and something doesn't feel right. Do the numbers and lines go on the inside or outside when you're pasting the model together?

Tried it on the inside an scrapped it because when they're on the outside its easier to tell where the next piece is going to glue to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back