Expierimenting in Vaccuforming

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazybunny

Jr Member
Hey guys, I've decided to practice vaccuforming. Here is my hand plate made from firing clay, not perfect, but still okay. The vaccuform came out like crap though(luckliy i can reuse this plastic...), I should've used the shop vac instead of my house vac, that'll wait till tomorrow .Here are pics:

med_gallery_3756_243_259806.jpg

med_gallery_3756_243_231703.jpg

I should've used the shop vac instead of my house vac
for such a shallow peice it wouldnt make much difference which vacuum cleaner you used, the problem you're having is caused by the fact that there are wells in the shape, so the vacuum cannot act on the depressed areas, as the outer edge of you plug is forming a seal keeping air trapped in the details, to make a part like that you should make a negative version of it in something like mdf, let the vacuum work into the plug instead of onto it, you will end up with much sharper edges. Great start though, vac forming gets pretty addictive once you start

Last edited by a moderator:
NZ-TK said:
for such a shallow peice it wouldnt make much difference which vacuum cleaner you used, the problem you're having is caused by the fact that there are wells in the shape, so the vacuum cannot act on the depressed areas, as the outer edge of you plug is forming a seal keeping air trapped in the details, to make a part like that you should make a negative version of it in something like mdf, let the vacuum work into the plug instead of onto it, you will end up with much sharper edges. Great start though, vac forming gets pretty addictive once you start

its not the wells, i got those in earlier pulls before this, its that the plastic wont wrap around the piece, and im using an old ass vac cleaner, but i might make a negative cavity of it tommorow. maybe out of hardening candle wax is what im thinking if the shop vac wont work

very simple, take a drill and find a really really tiny bit, then drill one hoel in each depression.

Xavier said:
very simple, take a drill and find a really really tiny bit, then drill one hoel in each depression.
That's what I was thinking. The holes won't be large enough to pull the plastic through.

Sean Bradley said:
Build your own vacuumformer here:

http://www.tk560.com/vactable4.html

Supplier for vacuumforming polystyrene:

http://www.professionalplastics.com/cgi-bi...&sesent=0,0

It's been listed here for more than a year...

Yes, a very good site if your wanting to build your own vac-former. I learned how to do it there. Professionalplastics is a good source, and they will cut down large sheets into what ever size you want for free. Im still working on a source for ABS plastic at the moment, they do not sell both side smooth sheet there.

Just letting you know, be mindful that polystyrene is not as strong as ABS plastic. For making armor from polystyrene, use at least .080 thick sheets.

-tubachris

i hate having to order/wait for ****, i like to know there are places nearby i can stop in at my convenience and buy. and btw i called the 2 hobbytowns in charlotte and niegher one have thermoplastic or sintra

Ironcobra3000 said:
what would you guys suggest for making a visor? I need it to be round, so I'm going to vacuum form it

If I were to vac-form a visor, I'd probably use PETG, however, you will need to find the appropriate colored adhesive window tint. Ive heard of automoitve places selling gold colored adheasive rolls, but Ive yet to actually find it. Even better if you can find plastic already colored the way you need it.

Im actually curious now, as to what plastic they used to make the ODST helmets in that live action short they made. From the looks it wasnt exactly gold in a sense, but a somewhat bronze color. However, I remember being able to see light shine through part of it, so it wasnt totally a one-way visor.

-tubachris

Don't you ever say that about vacuforming ever again! You here me!!

J/K

1. you didn't heat the plastic enough and your mold is ****.

sorry but true

If you really want to get into vac-forming then fellow the links Sean gave. I am making it and 1/3 done.
Or you could make an industrial vac-former. Witch the heater is above the former and the plastic kind of rides a poly system of sorts, then it goes to the oven then the former.

WarHead9705 said:
Don't you ever say that about vacuforming ever again! You here me!!
J/K

1. you didn't heat the plastic enough and your mold is ****.

sorry but true

If you really want to get into vac-forming then fellow the links Sean gave. I am making it and 1/3 done.
Or you could make an industrial vac-former. Witch the heater is above the former and the plastic kind of rides a poly system of sorts, then it goes to the oven then the former.

i know youre right.I heated like 2 mins longer, and it worked. I got better mold now, made from better material.i just didnt post anything new

you can also go to http://www.instructables.com And they have many different vac formers in there. Some even use your in home oven for small projects.

I wonder if you could make a negative for the top and the bottom, and clamp them together once the plastic is hot enough. That might work too.

Dude If you're getting your Styrene from Hobby town you are getting ripped off. Those prices are sooo high. Go grab your phonebook and look for plastics distributors. Most likely they will have sheets that are like 4 foot by 8 for 20 bucks. They also have resin and molding compounds.

It may be that the plastic is not getting hot enough. The guy over at TK had his going for ever. Then he even pushed the plstic into the certain depressions. It will also help if you get a sealed vacuformer, by the looks of it it didn't get a proper seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back