Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaloGoddess

Yup, that's right! Microsoft has stepped in and demanded that a semi-popular Halo RPG site known as Halo Crusades be taken down. This is NOT the first time this has happened.

The first time happened when the creator of the site started to add in stuff to the game that was not an actual part of the Halo storyline. At that time, it was Bungie that stepped in and wanted the site removed. A few months later, the Halo Crusades site was recreated and this time it did not have any new stuff added to it.

The game is a simple, text based RPG game and has a decent sized community. There are those of us that have known some of the other players for almost 2 years because we have been around for that long! XD

Apparently, Microsoft not only wants the site taken down, but they want the rights to the domain name, thus HaloCrusades.com will apparently become property of Microsoft. There is still no solid reason as to why Microsoft demands this. They did threaten to sue for "damages" (whatever that is supposed to mean)and now the site that I have become a major part of is going away for good! :( *cry*

This may not be major news to most of you here, but I DO know of a couple people that are on the 405th that became members of Halo Crusades through me. I also just wanted to share the fact that I think it's crap that Microsoft would do this. Does this mean they plan on taking down more fan sites? It's almost the same thing!

What really got me was the fact that they want the domain name. Is that so it can't be created again or does Microsoft intend to do something with the Halo Crusades name? :eek

Well, Bungie did say that Reach will be their last Halo game for a while, so the name might be the title of a new Halo game that 343 is working on.

-Pony

ms takes anything halo related if they see a potential for a new money makeing sckeme. so yea its kinda anoying in a why but they do own the rights to anythinmg in tha halo universe because they own the ip for it. although the would not be able to close this site because it is fan based and community run and ms has no controll over hand made fan made stuff. but anything digital can be if it violates what the halo title is. an rpg may be just what halo may be cooking up next. so they shut it down early maybe to keep those ideas private or whatnot.. another rpg will pop up and then more people will find it. rpg's are a way of telling a halo story... ms doesnt want anyone but ms to tell a halo story

It's not the first time a fan-site gets closed and it definitely won't be the last. They have the legal rights to the Halo name along with all intellectual properties. The suing for damages probably comes from the fact that they used Halo in the name therefore (obviously not to anyone with a brain) it is conceivable that someone might mistake that text based RPG as a part of the Halo franchise. Facts are facts though and 90% of the time copyrights do more harm than good. Any community who starts using images, names, or any one of the other intellectual properties is at risk of the same consequences. There is a reason we do not allow sales of Halo armor and props here and why we crack down on them so hard. In the same sense it's also important why we have the 405th Source team who communicates, allies and keeps in good standing the 405th name with Microsoft, 343 Industries and Bungie. This site is in no risk provided we keep the same set of standards and rules we always have. With that said, it's sad to see a community that invests time and effort into something they love only to have it closed down on them.

Cheers,

Kensai

Dang I'm sorry to hear that HG! I knew you put alot of time into that community and I was proud to be a part of it! I guess this means more time to finish your busa huh?! :)

Damn. Microsoft and their IP Rights Infringement Case bee-ess... They just like to piss off the fans.

The aforementioned possibility of a 343 thing named Halo Crusades is possible, given the context that the Covenant are on a crusade, but I think it's more that they don't want that domain to ever exist again. This isn't the first time they've wanted domain name rights, as I recall.

Schaeden said:
Dang I'm sorry to hear that HG! I knew you put alot of time into that community and I was proud to be a part of it! I guess this means more time to finish your busa huh?! :)

Just so you know, your account STILL exists. :) EVERYTHING was moved to a new domain. The only thing that has changed is the theme. There WAS going to be an ODST side game add-on, but we can no longer do any Halo themed games, so I am in the process of creating the new game that will replace the ODST spot. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ms acts like they're super hero's or something, saving themselves time of making a online rpg of halo. Bloody hell, we better keep it on a tight leash here and keep sending them presents. What if 405th has a spy among us. GASP.

mjolnir follower said:
Ms acts like they're super hero's or something, saving themselves time of making a online rpg of halo. Bloody hell, we better keep it on a tight leash here and keep sending them presents. What if 405th has a spy among us. GASP.

0.0 *gasp* Well don't jynx us!! If microsoft shut us down there would be heck to pay. how dare they demand rights to the domain name?! They paid for it right? or did they just ask for it to be handed over?

Microsoft is on the top of the list for getting attacked by zombies. MWAHAHAHAHA!!! I shall lead the zombies towards a victory against the fowl microsoft and their terrible ways!

*cough* wait, what? anyway, they are full of such crap. No wonder people are going to PS3. they arn't traitors after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back