FAQ: Papercraft & Pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any way to use pepakura to make a 2D template? Or is that something that would require converting the 3D model in another program?

Hi, I'm brand new to this and I cannot for the life of me figure this out.
2016-03-19.png
why on Earth do I have random pieces floating all over the place!? Several of my files are like this and I'm not entirely sure what to do.

I think this is a Pep for a foam piece, so they only have the parts at the paper you need to work with foam. The other parts are filler´s to get the form of the armour if you work only with paper.

I'm trying to make halo 3 mark 6 foam armor. I'm pretty petite and short but I have really long legs. I've collected a lot of foam pep files and some fit but some pieces don't fit after scaling. (Arms, legs, possibly the chest plate.)
After making the shins out of cardboard, I found out that they were a little too short but WAY too big. I had already scaled them and since you can only scale one measurement, the model won't be able to fit me. If I get the correct length, it's too wide. If I get the correct width, it'll be too short. Is there a way I can change the width of all the pieces in pepakura designer at the same time so they would be able to fit?

I'm trying to make halo 3 mark 6 foam armor. I'm pretty petite and short but I have really long legs. I've collected a lot of foam pep files and some fit but some pieces don't fit after scaling. (Arms, legs, possibly the chest plate.)
After making the shins out of cardboard, I found out that they were a little too short but WAY too big. I had already scaled them and since you can only scale one measurement, the model won't be able to fit me. If I get the correct length, it's too wide. If I get the correct width, it'll be too short. Is there a way I can change the width of all the pieces in pepakura designer at the same time so they would be able to fit?

Unfortunately, no. Without exporting the file into a 3D modelling program, you won't be able to scale along one dimension alone.

It may be worth trying your pieces on with some padding - remember, the undersuit is meant to bulk you up somewhat. However, it's also worth noting that the Halo 3 Mk VI pieces aren't scaled to a real human - the player model in Halo 3 is built more like a dwarf, with a barrel chest and disproportionate limbs.

Oh, ok. Thanks. The pieces are WAY too big to add padding though. I could fit both of my legs in the shin and thigh pieces.

Do you know what the best editing soft wares would be to scale one dimension at a time?

Oh, ok. Thanks. The pieces are WAY too big to add padding though. I could fit both of my legs in the shin and thigh pieces.

Do you know what the best editing soft wares would be to scale one dimension at a time?

Sure thing - I personally use Blender, since it's free to download and has (if you're willing to actually read the tutorials) a fairly intuitive, easy-to-use UI. I'd be more than happy to walk you through and help you out if you need to.

It's also probably worth showing off some examples of what you mean - it sounds like you're way off-scale if you're able to get both of your legs into one piece. I have a fairly slim build and even I'm unable to do that without having my pieces monstrously over-sized.

Thank you so much! I have blender on my computer. I'm converting them to blender files. It might be awhile before I can actually try to change the scale.

There is a new program that is coming out called Armorsmith. You can find it on Facebook. It's still in beta testing. It does allow you to scale in only one dimension of a build.

There is a new program that is coming out called Armorsmith. You can find it on Facebook. It's still in beta testing. It does allow you to scale in only one dimension of a build.

Wow. That program looks awesome! Thank you, all of you for taking time to answer. :)

I double-checked, this question is not in the FAQs list. My printer only prints in portrait (cheap little 80 dollar printer) and cannot be changed to print landscape. However, the pepakura file I'm using is lined up as landscape. When I changed the orientation in pepakura to portrait, the paper on the right switches to landscape but all the pieces stay portrait and become completely out of line and not printable. While I could take a solid half hour moving and shifting and rotating the individual pieces to realign them as they were, I'd rather ask if there is an option to rotate the pieces WITH the paper when changing the orientation. I tried selecting all pieces and rotating but it only lets me rotate one piece at a time. Thanks very much for your time.

In hoping this thread is still active as I have i guess a strange question....

I am making a very large pep piece, And I Have Multiple full pages That Need To Be Joined Together.

Is There A Way To Print Them Without The Face, And Still See The Border Of The Margin So I Can Join To Pieces Of Paper Together. In The Current State Its ALOT of Wasted Ink.

My only workaround is count how many i need total, print one and then go to a photocopier to make copies. Though this is kind of a pain...

Thanks in advance

Hi Skeet103 , I'm having a little bit of a hard time understanding your question. (The capitalized words aren't helping)

There is a way to print page corner lines in Pep Designer for helping line up multiple pages. I can't seem to find this option at the moment. I know it existed in Pep Designer 3.

The quickest solution would seem to be to just break up your large pieces to fit on their own pages. 2D Menu > Edit Mode > Join/Disjoin Face - Then when you hover over the 2d pieces a green line will appear and if you click it your piece will be separated. Click the red line to join back together. And be sure to set you page margins to the minimum possible.

If you are still having trouble, try to take a screen shot so I can see what you're trying to do.

Good luck!

[QUOTE="PerniciousDuke, post: [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply and the good info

and sorry for the CAPS...its a weird thing my tablet does... OK so I am not crazy, I thought PEP3 had something like that but for the life of me it doesn't seem to show up in 4

that being said I thought about breaking it up which is what I think I'll do, just seemed like so much work...

Unfortunately sometimes when unfolding a 3D item in Pepakura, some pieces tend to be much larger than a single sheet of paper and needs some fine tuning. I was also a bit confused like PerniciousDuke regarding your post.........And 1 final item; the previous post is over a year old. Be aware of posts you reply to. Older post tend to push more recent and relevant posts down the line.

I disagree Dirtdives about the old thread. Imo it's better to post a question ina FAQ or Help! Thread than to create a whole new thread just for one question.

Skeet103 it is a bit more work. I'll poke around some more when I get a chance to see if that feature is hiding somewhere.

Hey pretty new to the sight. I'm having an issue with print scale.
I fix the settings for the paper size im using. But ita still auto scalling it to nearly 1/4 the size it shows in pepakura. Instead of a 14inches tall helmet, Its coming out like 5 inches tall any common fixes?

Hey pretty new to the sight. I'm having an issue with print scale.
I fix the settings for the paper size im using. But ita still auto scalling it to nearly 1/4 the size it shows in pepakura. Instead of a 14inches tall helmet, Its coming out like 5 inches tall any common fixes?

Can you screen shot your scale and also screenshot your pepakura printer settings?

The only thing I can think of is that you previously printed something at 50% and your regular printer settings are still set at that scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back