Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor (Spartan Commander Sarah Palmer) Build [+ more]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you can visibly see the difference between the two, some areas look smoother and straighter.

That one stupid thing I didn't notice, hah. The very important thing - that whole beak not being strange has impact on the whole front side of the helmet. :/
But well, you learn from your mistakes... at least that's what they say XD

Started to add padding on the armor pieces. You can't see the inside, so I just make sure it's tight enough to not slide... but you can see the elbow, so I made sure it looks all nice and aesthetic.
I use and very recommend the upholstery foam. It's a lot better than EVA foam for that job. It has a bit rougher surface, so it won't slide like EVA and it's a lot softer... and found a nice dark gray color. ;)

WP_20160918_21_32_24_Pro.jpg

Alright, finished the almost last pieces for the undersuit. This is the inner-padding thingy. I glued it inside to raise the parts I want to. In the models they have those things raised at this angle in the game.
Instead of attaching them outside like with the spine, crotch and shoulder pieces, I thought it's better to attach them underneath.
Why?
While other pieces are not covered by any armor, here those can be covered by thigh pieces and knees. Meaning it could put stress on the pieces so they could tear off... To avoid that, I thought it's better to glue them underneath.

They may not look amazing and not detailed, they don't have to, they just go underneath the undersuit.

WP_20160914_14_01_58_Pro.jpg

Finished. This is how it looks like. While it's just a detail which partly is covered by armor, I thought it was important and wanted to include it.

undersuitlegs.JPG

Now I only have to do the elbow padding-piece similar to that.

- - - Updated - - -

hey! as per usual your build looks amazing! keep up the hard work!

Thanks! Will do. ;)

Are you afraid that they will slide around under your undersuit?

The inner padding,

Oh. I'm not. I already tested it, had the undersuit on and put on the gauntlet. Tried shaking it and all - didn't move or slide. :)
The upholstery foam has a rough surface, unlike EVA, that means it has a much better grip, despite being softer.

I think what Dirtdives meant when talking about parts sliding was the raised pieces you crafted for the undersuit with eva that go inside your morphsuit... If that was'nt what he meant, my bad, but I think you said you glued them inside the morphsuit right ?

Btw, nice job on everything Commander, that undersuit is realy coming along nicely ! I'm jaleous of your pistols, they came out perfect and cant wait to see more progress on that new helmet ! Could I ask if you plan on lining it in any fancy manner ?

I think what Dirtdives meant when talking about parts sliding was the raised pieces you crafted for the undersuit with eva that go inside your morphsuit... If that was'nt what he meant, my bad, but I think you said you glued them inside the morphsuit right ?

Btw, nice job on everything Commander, that undersuit is realy coming along nicely ! I'm jaleous of your pistols, they came out perfect and cant wait to see more progress on that new helmet ! Could I ask if you plan on lining it in any fancy manner ?

Yes, those small pieces on legs? I glued those pieces permanently onto the undersuit.
Thank you very much! :)
What do you mean 'lining it up in any fancy manner'?

I plan on eventually doing a full h4/5 suit in pep as of right now I have 3 suits I'm working on. your determination gives me the drive to get it done by either scifivalley con or latest dragon con

I was wondering If you were going to finish up the interior of your bucket with the same atention to details than the exterior of your suit of armor ( pads, fans, maybe subtles leds) . By lining it up I was meaning creating a cousions array arranged to pad the inside of the helmet as if it was in universe :p ( or like the inside of a motrocycle helmet ) :p

I was wondering If you were going to finish up the interior of your bucket with the same atention to details than the exterior of your suit of armor ( pads, fans, maybe subtles leds) . By lining it up I was meaning creating a cousions array arranged to pad the inside of the helmet as if it was in universe :p ( or like the inside of a motrocycle helmet ) :p

Oh!
I plan to have 2 fans (one on the top front and one in the bottom front because I don't have any space on the sides). No LEDs, because, well, there are no lights on the helmet in Halo 5 (Scout set has no lights in Halo 5), while it has lights in the back of the helmet in Halo 5.
I don't really know how I feel with doing lights in this area here. Rather than that, I want more to make an AI chip sticking out.
But, I'm not completely scratching this idea - if I would do lights, I would just make the top ones without the small bits at the bottom, but as I said, I'm not really fan of it...

But otherwise, the helmet has no lights on the sides like Master Chief's helmet does. I don't want to change that because I'm not too big fan of these either. They aren't practical - they won't light your way and mostly they blind the people standing in front of you (unless some people make them facing to the helmet visor so it won't blind the people). As practical flashlights in the FUD movie, these were great though. Or at least I couldn't see them on Scout and there is no place to implement it anyway... Just, rather I'd say the side-lights look good one some helmets, but not all.

Also, I'm not going to pad the helmet like a motorcycyle visor. I don't want to melt and my head to overheat in there. I rather just do few foam pads for better airflow than fully pad it like it was a motorcycle helmet. For more comfort, the Halo helmet isn't for protection, it's to make you look good AND you have to wear it, so I rather would care about it looking good from outside and me still being as comfortable as I can get.
Also, I don't need much padding as the helmet is small and it's a tight-fit.

AND I have to see if I'd still have a space for another battery box anyway. Because well, fan is more important than a light in the back of the helmet... Mostly people see you from the front, not the back.

helm.jpg

I got a few questions. I decided to build this armour and since its my first time building an armour i'm gonna have a hard time for sure. how tall are you? and How did you scale it so it can match your height? Because Because i'm using some scaling tutorials that i found here and I did my arm piece but it does not seem the right size. These are the tutorials i'm using and have used. I've used this one for the helmet but it turned out small so I stopped half way through it. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=31627 and right now im currently using this one for the arm peice which it also came out small. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=25588

I got a few questions. I decided to build this armour and since its my first time building an armour i'm gonna have a hard time for sure. how tall are you? and How did you scale it so it can match your height? Because Because i'm using some scaling tutorials that i found here and I did my arm piece but it does not seem the right size. These are the tutorials i'm using and have used. I've used this one for the helmet but it turned out small so I stopped half way through it. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=31627 and right now im currently using this one for the arm peice which it also came out small. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=25588

I'm 160cm (5'3"). I tried scaling it for length.
I didn't use any Master Chief armor tutorials because well, Scout armor is different than Mark VI.
It was a trial and error and I've pepped pieces even multiple times to get the scale perfect.
I just tried to measure it on my body, imagining it there to see if it wouldn't be too small or too big.

Same as Scout helmet, it's a quite unique helmet because it isn't wide, but long while having a wider bottom than top.

If you already pepped a piece and it was too small, you know you have to do it bigger and you can try to measure just how much.

Oh!
I plan to have 2 fans (one on the top front and one in the bottom front because I don't have any space on the sides). No LEDs, because, well, there are no lights on the helmet in Halo 5 (Scout set has no lights in Halo 5), while it has lights in the back of the helmet in Halo 5.

Another thing that you might want to consider integrating into the helmet is a microphone. In terms of comfort having a microphone inside your helmet and a speaker hidden elsewhere on your body is almost as awesome as having a couple of fans inside because it'll save your voice from having to project through all the material of the helmet and save a bit of headache from yelling all day inside of an enclosed space.

I picked up an AKER MR2300 to save my voice for the weekend since I planned on trooping two of three days at a recent con and it's up there on my list of must haves for conventions now along with comfortable shoes.

Oh wow, today marks the day when I've started the costume. A full year ago.
This is the day when I registered and joined the 405th and the same day when I started working on the costume.
Hah, full year later I'm still not done BUT very close!

Another thing that you might want to consider integrating into the helmet is a microphone. In terms of comfort having a microphone inside your helmet and a speaker hidden elsewhere on your body is almost as awesome as having a couple of fans inside because it'll save your voice from having to project through all the material of the helmet and save a bit of headache from yelling all day inside of an enclosed space.

I picked up an AKER MR2300 to save my voice for the weekend since I planned on trooping two of three days at a recent con and it's up there on my list of must haves for conventions now along with comfortable shoes.

Thank you very much for the idea of the microphone! :)
However, I have no plans for installing a mic. I don't have much space there. I could wear one of those small mics you attach to your ear, you can find very small ones.
But, I don't feel I need them. I can always take my helmet off. Hell, I can walk without a helmet as Palmer was mostly seen without her helmet, so I don't have a reason to hide my face in the helmet - if I did for example Master Chief cosplay - sure, I wouldn't walk around without a helmet, but Palmer? Hell yes.
But thanks for the suggestion with the mic, appreciate it. :) And good luck with the con! I hope everything will work out for you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back