Female Torso Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I started my armor with the goal of DragonCon being its big debut. Progress thread here. I'm really trying to keep things as cheap as possible and as quick as possible.

Now on the the torso piece... I am a female and I do have a larger chest, so I need a female special torso piece. I'm not sure what route I should take so that's where you guys come in.

Option 1
Taking a master chief torso 3D file into cinema 4D and modifying for a female. Then turn it into a pepakura file and do it that way. Which also means there will be a papakura fine for everyone to use...

Option 2
Sculpt it with clay and make a mold. That way I can do it just right and see what I am doing. I know it is more costly but then I could make casts and sell them to other people wanting a female torso piece. And hopefully I can get my money back out of it.

Any other options you can think of? Opinions please!!!

i believe there is a female piece somewhere, ill have a quick look

EDIT : Keegan beat me to it

EDIT EDIT: Keegan, those files are invalid it says :/

plus, i couldnt find it, i knew i had one but i cant find it anymore, sorry

is it really that big? i mean, usually, even being big, the spartan chest is pretty spacey in there, i would assume that most people have enough space for their "chest"

You may be able to simply use an existing Pep chest file and once it's complete, make a minor alteration on just the pectoral area. Just slit around the pec area and add in the appropriate spacer pieces for the depth you need. That may also have the additional benefit of being custom/comfortable while still conforming to the canon Mjolnir "look".

Of course if you are willing to take the time and modify the source file (Option 1) that would probably be the best option but Zenzeigen is right - there is usually a good amount of space in there. Maybe a minor alteration in conjunction with a sports bra? If you use Underarmour and/or a pressure suit they will offer some additional compression as well. You definately don't want to be uncomfortable...

Good Luck!

The female Spartan armor was the same as the male armor, per Bungie Canon, as given to team Ninja to do that female Spartan bonus character in .. Dead or Alive 3 (was it 3?) So it might be time to bust out the duct tape.. (I'm kidding!) It's not "required" to do it that way.. I certainly don't think anyone's going to mind some modifications.

If I were you, I'd go for the pep file, make the chest, and then determine how much you actually NEED to remake the chest. Make a new section to go over the old chest section that needs adjustment, and cut-out the old chest. It'll ensure you get the shapes you want without spending a lot of claywork time.

The pep scaling really helps, but if you have the ability to do it in clay, and don't forsee any symmetry problem (umm.. with the armor :) ) there's certainly nothing wrong with going that route.. I'm just suggesting how I'd personally want to tackle the problem.

I'd use the pep option because it'd help to ensure I get the scaling correct as I go, and allow me to check my modifications before committing to an option.. allowing me to "return to zero" easily if I don't like my initial redesigns.

However, if you want to "celebrate your feminity," which is always cool, but definately more effort, I'd suggest clay because curves and suchlike can be tailored into the entire thing much easier.. and a feminine approach to the armor should certainly accentuate long flatterning "slimming curves", rather than the comparitively flattened boxy look that you might have to fight against if you're forced to use the existing pep model.

Use an oil-based clay that you can heat the surface with to smooth it (ensure you have the RIGHT CLAY though.. some of those release toxic fumes if you surface melt them).. for a brief tutorial on this type of proceedure, take a look here: http://www.bioweapons.com/SculptBody.htm

Another other option might make things easier for you... make the pep one and then use it as a reference model for making the clay one.

I didn't want to modify it that much at all... I just don't want a huge bulky chest piece just because I'm large chested when I'm a smaller girl. I also figured if it fit my body shape better I would be more comfortable.

Maybe you could make a tape mannequin, the way Sean did, and either mold the clay around it or put the pep on it, and edit it that way. That would probably be the easiest way to make sure it fit you perfectly.

Well, I'm not very busty, though are ya going to wear any underarmor?? Maybe you could try wearing a Sports Bra too? On FS's HD torso, there was a decent amount of room in the chest, you could also make the chest plate a bit adjustable by putting adjustable straps on the side.

The other thing to mention, as much as I'd like a lot of my figure to show, the armor is going to rub against my against my skin, and that can lead to some nasty "armor bites". So I opted for a bit more padding between me and my armor. While I won't be as slinky as a Panther, I don't want to sport nasty chaffs on my body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back