fiberglass cloth

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjohnvu

ok i just resin the outside already, do i just lay out the fiberglass cloth inside my helmet?
or do i use glue to hold the fiberglass cloth in the inside?

Go buy lots of elmers glue, about 2 multi purpose white glue things will do the whole suit of armor, their 99 cents each at the store.

Resin the inside of the helmet lightly, then glue fiberglass to it, make sure you get lots of glue on each peice, do a thin line about every inch or so on your peice, then do it again sideways so it makes a squareish pattern of glue on your glass peice, then lay it inside, make sure it touches every nook and cranny for it to make the helmet strong, then once it's dried, glob resin on it until you cant see the glass, the glass should become the same color as the resin, then you can paint the outside...

In my first helmet I didn't use any glue. I just set the fiberglass in the right spot, then resined it, then did the next piece. Try to make sure you get fiberglass inside the whole helmet.

Glue is not a great idea because...(not to bash)

1. It's messy
2. It will soak into the fiberglass, filling teh areas you want the resin to fill, and thus slightly weakening your resined helmet.
3. Takes time to dry.
4. time consuming.

Heres the easy way which will be demonstrated in my upcoming complete fiberglass tutorial:

1. Buy Krylon spray adhesive: $3.00
2. Cut piece of fiberglass cloth.
3. Spray a little on back of fiberglass piece.
4. Position in helmet.
5. Push down with fingertips.
6. Drys almost instantly, but you have plenty of work time.

This method makes resining a breeze. Theres no movement of the fiberglass and you get no air bubbles. magic.

Master Chef said:

Heres the easy way which will be demonstrated in my upcoming complete fiberglass tutorial:

4. Position in helmet.

This method makes resining a breeze. Theres no movement of the fiberglass and you get no air bubbles. magic.
This is a wonderful plan. I just came in from the garage and did this exact same thing. The adhesive I used was 3M 90 something or other and I used the fiberglass cloth. Worked like a charm. :not worthy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Master Chef said:

1. It's messy
2. It will soak into the fiberglass, filling teh areas you want the resin to fill, and thus slightly weakening your resined helmet.
3. Takes time to dry.
4. time consuming.

4. Position in helmet.

you should have posted it before i made my helmet, lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I was about to post the same question.

Want to make it 100% clear though that you ONLY fiberglass the inside correct?
Because the fiberglass tutorial does it on the outside.

So this is correct
Resin Outside
Fiberglass inside
Bondo/Sand outside

Thanks!

Dont fiberglass the visor, then it becomes too hard to cut out, the visor doesnt have to be resined either, it's just there for support, it's not ment to be the final product peice.

I fiberglassed the shoulder peice of the armor, where the back meets the front of the torso, took forever to cut with my dremel, the glass and resin clumpd and it was soo dense and strong, I sat there for 10-15min cutting each side. I was trying to make it easier to wear when taking on and off, otherwise my head doesnt fit through the neckhole, cutting front from back solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back