fiberglassing how to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadidlehopp

Jr Member
[attachment=2770:master_c...done__5_.JPG]

hey i was curious why you have to fiberglass stuff inside a garage or omething y cant i do it in my yard ???

i mean in the summer time

................................................................................
a true spartan never dies................he just respawns

Because it's too cold right now, and the resin wont cure, it will just stay wet forever, and you dont want to leave your armor outside inthe rain/snow for several days.

AoBfrost said:
Because it's too cold right now, and the resin wont cure, it will just stay wet forever, and you dont want to leave your armor outside inthe rain/snow for several days.

i mean like in the summer

Last edited by a moderator:
In the summer, you can do it outside, thats how I did my suit, just leave it in the hot sun for 2-3 hours per side. Dont resin the entire piece at once, do one side of the chest for example, let it dry, then flip it over and resin the other side, then go for the inside.

MAKE SURE YOU USE A NOISH APPROVED RESPIRATOR! Dont use a cheap dust mask or doctors mask, use a respirator made for blocking out fumes.

AoBfrost said:
In the summer, you can do it outside, thats how I did my suit, just leave it in the hot sun for 2-3 hours per side. Dont resin the entire piece at once, do one side of the chest for example, let it dry, then flip it over and resin the other side, then go for the inside.

MAKE SURE YOU USE A NOISH APPROVED RESPIRATOR! Dont use a cheap dust mask or doctors mask, use a respirator made for blocking out fumes.

ok sweet thanks i donno if you saw my armour already its up top..
also another question why cant i make a new topic o the other fourms (outside of noob fourms) do i have to pay or somthing??

kadidlehopper markVI said:
also another question why cant i make a new topic o the other fourms (outside of noob fourms) do i have to pay or somthing??
That's just how it is around here. You can start a topic anywhere after you have reached 50 posts.

AoBfrost said:

NOISH?? Do you mean NIOSH National Institute of Occupational Safety & Health? Just trying to clarify.

NOISH?? Do you mean NIOSH National Institute of Occupational Safety & Health

Yep thats them. NIOSH and OSHA (Occupational Safety Hazard Association) are the to governing bodies that regulate this material safety stuff in the US. There may be different organizations in other countries though.

ahhh man is that tape i see? if it is, tisk tisk.
using tape will make you lose detail and when you paint it you'll be able to see the tape outline.
its nothing that some bondo cant fix but its going to take you a while to get it all smooth.

Falling_Jihad said:
ahhh man is that tape i see? if it is, tisk tisk.
using tape will make you lose detail and when you paint it you'll be able to see the tape outline.
its nothing that some bondo cant fix but its going to take you a while to get it all smooth.

well i just used the tape over it while it dried ill probably take it all of ..... if i can..

Whoops sorry, I got the two letters interchanged.

Also, tape will show after painting unless you sand it down after resining. But then if you use bondo, forget sanding it, just bondo right over the area and sand the bondo down to be smooth.

AoBfrost said:
Whoops sorry, I got the two letters interchanged.

Also, tape will show after painting unless you sand it down after resining. But then if you use bondo, forget sanding it, just bondo right over the area and sand the bondo down to be smooth.
ok nice ill probably use ether bondo or a few coats of resin and sand it down. i might start replying to comment on th top as edits (i gotten a few guys om me saying im makin too many posts 2 soon)

but beware of using bondo, there is no question, it is the best thing to do for both strength and detail, but it takes a lot of coats and lots o sanding... and be sure you fiberglassed the edges really well because bondo is not flexible at all and will crack at the slightest sign of pressure... also, be sure to use a primer because even though it looks smooth, it probably isnt and will need more bondo and sanding...

dirtymatt89 said:
but beware of using bondo, there is no question, it is the best thing to do for both strength and detail, but it takes a lot of coats and lots o sanding... and be sure you fiberglassed the edges really well because bondo is not flexible at all and will crack at the slightest sign of pressure... also, be sure to use a primer because even though it looks smooth, it probably isnt and will need more bondo and sanding...
ok sweet thnx for the tips guys these will realy help hen i start fiberglasing
heres the link to my halo suit so far
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=mnoDYliSdaA
u guys have been a great help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back