Fiberglassing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartanNumber623

I've been trying to find a quicker, easier way to glass my pepped helmets. I noticed Bondo-Glass in the auto parts store. Would this actually work for helmets? it already has the fiberglass strand in the resin? Any help would be great.

thanks guys

Bondo/glass will still be as thick as regular bondo. Yes it has chopped up fiberglass mat in the mix, but that is for strength. You need to make the pep sturdy. For me straight resin 3-4 coats on the outside, a couple of more inside, makes a good shell. From there you can do what you want. Rondo the inside, resin/fiberglass mat inside. Bondo/evercoat outside. Not real familiar with the smooth-on family of products yet, but have seen them used alot here.

This is one reason why I switched to Aqua Resin. It cures much faster. Also I can do it inside because it's not harmful (just don't eat it). This allows it to be used whenever regardless of weather conditions.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Bondo/glass will still be as thick as regular bondo. Yes it has chopped up fiberglass mat in the mix, but that is for strength. You need to make the pep sturdy. For me straight resin 3-4 coats on the outside, a couple of more inside, makes a good shell. From there you can do what you want. Rondo the inside, resin/fiberglass mat inside. Bondo/evercoat outside. Not real familiar with the smooth-on family of products yet, but have seen them used alot here.

Go with this dude's suggestion it's the best for cost effectiveness and simplicity but so you know rondo is a 50/ 50 mix of fiberglass resin and bondo and you use both hardeners in the mix and rondo by itself will crack so you will need resined fiberglass cloth or mat under it which one you use does not matter and only apply this on the inside of the helmet NOT the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back