Fibreglass cloth vs Matt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used cloth on mine. I cut it into sections and used a light spray adhesive onto the pieces the laid them in the armour, This work out perfect for me, and hasn't seem ed to affect the quality of strength of the armour.

I started to use matt, and thought it was the worse things i have ever tried ( probably just my lack of experience)

Cloth is a lot easier to work with (less messy)

The benefit of matt is if you decide to sand it you get a more even surface than cloth.

I agree. Fiberglass mat is awful for shredding apart and going EVERYWHERE.

Stick to cloth, and you'll be glad you did :)

Matt is yuck.. I used it without knowing the difference and I wasted a pint of resin for my chest and back piece.. The matt is easy to rip and all the fibers will get all over the place. Especially if you have parts that are not finish drying.. Total nightmare.. I would use cloth.. It's more user friendly, less of a mess.. Lay down a layer of resin and you can stick the cloth on top of that.. Resin over the fiber cloth... Goodluck!

you should use matt for the top coat with a layer of body filler and use the cloth after the matt....so when you sand the filler and you go too deep the matt sands alot even then the cloth, the cloth leaves the pathern texture

I have been using just resin on the outside of the part and the cloth mat on the inside to strengthen it. The resin on the outside leaves a nice smooth finish. No real need to do any sanding on the inside of the part.

In cloth, the fibers are bidirectional, as in they only go side to side, and up and down in a weave.
Mat Fibers are non directional, they go every which way and are not alligned.

Cloth is easier to work with as it does not spread and frey like mat.
Cloth will be harder to work into tight bends and complex corners.

Bidirectional cloth will not be as strong as the mat when both are correctly applied... maximum strength, use both, alternating layers.

For these used here for armor applications, if you are not expereinced with fiberglass aplication, just use cloth...

This if for pep helms by the way, laying up fiberglass in a mold is different if you would like to have a quality product when done.

Sigma-LS said:
Link is talking about a molded armor perspective vs. the pepakura perspective you are referring to.
it doesnt matter if its in the mould or not.....when you sand down to the fiberglass layer and you used cloth you will get the texture surface....so its best to use the matt 1st then the cloth
if you really want to use cloth make sure you use lots of filler to get rid of the textures

Last edited by a moderator:
link4044 said:
it doesnt matter if its in the mould or not.....when you sand down to the fiberglass layer and you used cloth you will get the texture surface....so its best to use the matt 1st then the cloth
if you really want to use cloth make sure you use lots of filler to get rid of the textures

I agree... I skim everything in glaze like I were doing body ork so the texture of the layers disappears... but your right.. I just wish I could make my mold this week... DAMN Smooth-ON Sales rep... damn her ruining my week...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Thanks for so many great replies! As I said before, I had trouble when using it, mostly on my larger helm. My next one I will most likely do cloth then.

Thanks again! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back