Fibreglass tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murnhead

Hello all,

Sorry for cluttering up the noob forum but I could not find this question anywhere and this forum seemed appropriate. Anyways, I found some fibreglass tape in my garage, and I was wondering if I could use it in place of fibreglass mat. It would be convenient since it would stick to the inside of the helmet while i put resin on it. Also, it says for use for dry wall etc if that helps.

Interesting. I've.never seen this done, and I'm curious about the results. You should try this. If it doesn't work out, try fiber glass cloth (much easier to work with than mat). Tell us about it, because this seems like a nice alternative to cloth.

You can also use a few drops of regular glue to attach fibreglass cloth or mat to your model. Not too much, just enough to hold it in place.

But go ahead and see what you can do with this tape. Sounds interesting.

the fiberglass tape youre talking about is the ones that are used for drywall right? if so i thought about using it also, but decided against it becuase it seemed that the tape wasnt really fiberglass, more like a plastic. also the holes seemed to big for the fiberglass resin to really soak in, compared to the cloth. but if you do give it a try im curious to see how it turns out. good luck

Alright guys, it seems as if I will have to test this out myself. The only downside that I can think of is that the tape might not be strong enough. I'll just test it on a LD forearm I made a while ago. Just have to wait for warm weather....

the fiberglass tape youre talking about is the ones that are used for drywall right? if so i thought about using it also, but decided against it becuase it seemed that the tape wasnt really fiberglass, more like a plastic. also the holes seemed to big for the fiberglass resin to really soak in, compared to the cloth. but if you do give it a try im curious to see how it turns out. good luck

I noticed this too. I was thinking of maybe doubling up on the layers. I'll report back later, hopefully with positive results.

Hello all,

Sorry for cluttering up the noob forum but I could not find this question anywhere and this forum seemed appropriate. Anyways, I found some fibreglass tape in my garage, and I was wondering if I could use it in place of fibreglass mat. It would be convenient since it would stick to the inside of the helmet while i put resin on it. Also, it says for use for dry wall etc if that helps.

i have the same thing, im going to use since it says fiberglass. i suggest you use it.

Hello all,

i have the same thing, im going to use since it says fiberglass. i suggest you use it.

I've tried using the same stuff before but the adhesive on the tape doesn't stick well to curved areas and seams.
It may very well work if you glue it down first though. I would suggest doing it in two layers that alternate direction to compensate for the larger gaps in the weave.

If this does not work the best way to use fiberglass and resin is to first spread some resin on the area you want to glass. The resin will hold the fiberglass in place, tap it into the resin with the tip of your brush adding more resin if needed to make sure the fiberglass is totally soaked. As for fiberglass mat and cloth they both have their pros and cons. Mat is easier to get into tight places and can be shredded up easily for filling in details or corners. Cloth is more consistent in it's weave and there fore covers large areas faster. So in reality using both is a good idea. But it comes down to a matter of preference, the best thing to do is try them both and see which one you fells most comfortable with.

What I think I am going to do is buy some commercial grade Fiberglass Casting Tape. Like the stuff doctors use to protect your broken bones. This will create a sold base for my sculpting needs!! Just bond shape and sand! and it is super cheap plus it activates in water!! which is relatively free!!

I'll test it in the coming months.

on a side note. my account cant post a new thread and I don't know who I can get to help me let me do that again... Any mods able to help me fix that? I can comment but cant post a new topic.... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back