Film/ Animation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, have you ever done anything like this before? Making an animated film can be a HUGE endeavor. I'm sure you can find some tutorials on the Interweb, though.

No, i have no clue how to do this. I really need advice
My advice to you is this: if this is not a passion of yours, drop this out of all thought and mind. This is an extremely arduous task that will take years before you see any major fruition in your goals. I am not saying that it is not worth it, because I think that it is. But if you are not committed 125% to learning this art, there is no reason to even start.

If you are serious about this though, I would suggest starting with Blender 3D. It is a free, community driven 3d program that is extremely powerful and capable of producing jaw dropping animations. If you are not familiar with it, a lot of this community use it to create the 3D models to import into Pepakura. Last year, the Blender community came together and produced Sintel, an animated short that showcased the capabilities of the engine. I am not a fan of the whole concept/story, but the animation is breath taking. See it here.

If you are interested, let me know. I can walk you through some of the processes that will make your initial start much easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I request a thread for your tutorial thingy Templar_320! I think lots of us, myself included, would love to learn how to do this. I tried it before with some video tutorials but didn't really get too far.

Also if you are looking to make a 2d animated film, no so 2d but more like cartoony, try adobe flash. I took a few years of classes on that, it's really a great program and not too hard to get the hang of.

Depends on how detailed and in-depth you want.
If you've ever seen Regular Show, the creator made this as a short and entered it into contests and won several awards.
And all it seems to be is pictures of drawings on paper.
Still pretty awesome and cracks me up every time.

EDIT: Has some grown-up language (f-words)

My advice to you is this: if this is not a passion of yours, drop this out of all thought and mind. This is an extremely arduous task that will take years before you see any major fruition in your goals. I am not saying that it is not worth it, because I think that it is. But if you are not committed 125% to learning this art, there is no reason to even start.

If you are serious about this though, I would suggest starting with Blender 3D. It is a free, community driven 3d program that is extremely powerful and capable of producing jaw dropping animations. If you are not familiar with it, a lot of this community use it to create the 3D models to import into Pepakura. Last year, the Blender community came together and produced Sintel, an animated short that showcased the capabilities of the engine. I am not a fan of the whole concept/story, but the animation is breath taking. See it here.

If you are interested, let me know. I can walk you through some of the processes that will make your initial start much easier.

I have to agree, Blender is a smart way to go for beginners. It also has a Maya keyboard layout if you want to migrate later. I've used Blender for all of my 3d and even a lot of 2d creations and it works great.

As Templar already said, if you don't want to put your life into this, you'll probably give up before you really get anywhere. If you want an animated film, you have to make the models (characters, props, vehicles, scenery, etc.) and everything related to them, then you have to rig them (give them bones and muscles basically) then animate that. After that, you have to do all the editing, compositing and sound work. So it is a very time consuming process, but if you're willing to give it your all and are patient enough to wait several years before the project is finished then go for it. There are many here and all over the internet that will help you if you really want to do this, just make the final decision and let us know. Best of luck to ya.

Your other option is to go the way of drawn, stop motion animation (as seen in Ronster's post). Unfortunately this is not the easiest option either, you would have to read up on the topic and learn the shooting techniques. Despite that if you stick with it, the whole process can be very rewarding.

I am currently in college for animation and game design. Animation on 3d scale can be very harsh time wise, It took me three months to make an accurate dragon. There is a video of an animated pirate and bird it was made for cartoon network its like a minute long but very detailed it took them 8 months to make it in auto desk maya.

My advice to you is this: if this is not a passion of yours, drop this out of all thought and mind. This is an extremely arduous task that will take years before you see any major fruition in your goals. I am not saying that it is not worth it, because I think that it is. But if you are not committed 125% to learning this art, there is no reason to even start...

I agree. Unless it is your full-time job or if you have 36 hours in your day, you may not want to pick this up. I have Blender on my laptop for 3 years now. I only touched it twice. I always wanted to start some modeling, but work, life, kids, armor making and sleep get in the way. With this rate, I may have a full animation video in 10 years time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back