Finally got my cell vids converted - odst helm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arioch

Ive been trying to find a way to convert the vids on my cell phone forever. I finally figured it out today.

Anyway, here are the last vids I have of my helmet before I started making a mold. I did more detail work on it than is present in the last (primer) vid, so it looks pretty nice now imo at least.

Any comments/ideas/criticism, post away!

And special thanks to BenStreeper for teaching me what to do in his videos and to Rundown for his pdo.

Very nice. I like the attention to detail. a lot of times pep ends up looking like spraypainted paper and that sucks. also it's smooth so it looks more realistic. can't wait to see more.

Thanks, my molds almost done. I quit taking vids when I realized I was having file format issues, but, Ill have more soon now that I know how to convert .mp4 to .wmv

*** UPDATE***

OK! Kinda excited, just finished up a ton of work last night. Here are a few videos to show my progress on the ODST helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
looks really nice... what would you expect how much does the prop coast. how much have you invest to built the mold?
is there a way you can post some prictures of it?
sounds interesting

I didnt keep real good records of how much money it cost me.

Here is a list of as much as I can remember. These are gonna be estimates -

Fiber glass resin 1 can- 12$

Bondo (1/2 Gallon) = 18$ per gallon

Primer, Spay paint, Clear coat - about 5$ each

Ceramic plaster 1 tub - 10$

Bondo-Glass 1 small can- 12$

Extra hardener - 2$ each

Spray can of expandable foam - 5$ ( I just lined the helmet with this stuff to reinforcement. Using the resin to cast with makes a helmet that is brittle where the resin is thin. I would have used a plastic to cast with if I had any at hand )

I used latex for the actual mold. It gets expensive. About 12$ a piece. I used almost 4 tubs to make a thick mold.

You will also need misc tools like a dremel, knife, scissors, etc.

And other things like mixing cups, stirrers, etc. probably a lot of small things I cant think of right now.

You can definitely do it on a budget, but you will need patience lol.

Ill try to put up some better pics of the mold soon.

About 12$ a piece. I used almost 4 tubs to make a thick mold.

latex or the prob?... why have you done the mold? sell the pieces? and is the 12$ a piece price the price for the latex or the piece which comes out of the mold?

btw have you any experience with making visors? my motorcycle visor gets some heat damages and its make the visor not see-through... so the key is that ive a visor and i have no idea how i can form it to the odst one... but Deep drawing it is a hard work...
how can i tint the plastic visor because the plastic is transparant

The price 12$ for 1 tub of latex. I have not decided if I am going to sell pieces or not at this point. I want to finish my complete ODST before I make that decision.

I have not made a visor yet, but I will try to make one before I buy one. If I find a way to make a decent one, I will post how I did it.

If a moderator reads this, can you change the title of the thread to a WIP type of title for me? I dont have the option it seems.

** UPDATE**

Here are a few more short vids to show how the work is going....

Man,that helmet turned out GREAT! very, very nice, sir. I like what you did around the ears, that area has ben giving me a real headache. I think Im going to fill in a little of that empty, recessed space around them.

Thanks for the compliment! Ya my helmet isnt exactly correct, lol, but theres no drastic changes either. Im trying the visor again here in a few minutes, then Ill start in on details and finally paint it and move on to the chest piece.

Im very happy with it so far even with its flaws. I doubt that I have a suit in the next 8 days, but Ill have one for the next con at least!

Thank you, but Im not familiar with that free word!

J/K, I havent decided if Im going to sell them or not yet. At any rater Im going to finish a suit or two before I would be able to sell if I do decide to do that.

Id like to get better at this stuff before I took anything for my work. Id feel wrong if I didnt think it was my best effort.

Hey Arioch, I had a question for you. How thick is that plastic quarter inch? ( or is it plexiglass?)

Its pretty thick, 1/16 inch. Its the thinnest and smallest sheet of plexi-glass sold at our Home Depot.

The only problem Im having is the bubbles. 2 pulls and bubbles in both.

Im working on a solution and/or trying to cover them up tonight. When I get a fix, Ill post what I did.

Small update - Along with asking for opinions, I am showing my visor and installed fan.

Ok here's the newest video of the helmet, hope you like it! All that's left is the electronics, securing the visor, some flat black paint, doing the liner and some weathering.

Should be done in a day or two, then Ill move to the chest. All comments welcome.

Ok, tonight I'm moving on to the rest of the armor. There are a couple of small things that Ill come back to the helmet for later, but for now it is done.

Here is the last video of progress on the helmet.

Not sure why my thread was moved for the noob forum to here. I have only 43 posts, and there is no paper or cardboard at all in this helmet. It is molded fiberglass... I did ask for a title change to show this as a WIP thread, but w/e. I guess I will find a more appropriate thread in which to post my next update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back