Finally! My Reach Spartan Build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

andr3w1sh

So this has been a long time coming, but school is out for now, and I'm unemployed so I have all this free time to work on my Spartan build. Sorry, this first post will be picture heavy because it's going to cover the first 3 days or so of my build.

I started with the Grenadier helmet (Jorge's sans attachments), as that is what my multiplayer character wears and I'm making my multiplayer character. So it's pepped (after having to custom fabricate some pieces that weren't correct in the pep file) and today I started applying resin. For this build my intention is to use the pep, resin, bondo method to get a clean model to make a mould then cast my pieces for paint and assembly.

Alright let's get to the photos! (I decided to skip the pep progress shots, cause you guys know how that goes, so I'm just showing mile markers.)
IMG_1642.jpg

see the piece on the visor that don't have reg numbers? I had to make that piece.
IMG_1643.jpg

that hole took me two goes to get a proper piece to fit. I'm still not completely happy with how it turned out, but I can fix it in bondo work.

And here's a helpful tip I learned the hard way. Plastic cups can't handle the heat produced by the chemical reaction of mixing resin apparently. This is what happens.
IMG_1647.jpg

I watched a very helpful vid by TheHeroTutorials on youtube that suggested using tin pie pans. Works way better. Ok guys back to work, I should have an update tomorrow!

I love the last pic lol, I did the EXACT same thing.

The pep work looks clean, and for a scratchbuilt piece that piece it's pretty impressive. Something I found is to use pop cans you cut in half as resin/acetone holders. They hold just enough to do one piece at a time. It's just something I found if you want to give it a try.

yeah ive noticed this problem with the plastic cups but if you put two together like one inside the other they hold up atleast they did for me and my suit. helmet looks great keep it up looking forward to seeing more

nice work so far! and bad move with the red party cups. too thin in my opinion, i use clear plastic, and like megatron says, double up! mine dont melt through, but sometimes it happens, ive never had resin burn through 2 cups though. keep up the work!

wow i really like your helmet, you pepped it really clean =D keep up the good work
btw i learned the same way, use two cups

Thanks for all the props guys! I went to the Dollar Tree and picked up some of those tin pie pans. They're great. When the resin hardens you just peel it out and reuse them. Anyway, the piece is all resin'ed and drying. In the morning I'll make a run for more brushes and start fiberglassing the inside.

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

that last shot is not entirely straight on, so it makes it all look a little wobbly. I assure you it's as close to symmetrical as I could get, and the rest I'll fix when I bondo.

Nice work so far! I think we need more grenadier builds out there. I've actually been considering starting mine over using the pep model you are using, and seeing this has me pretty well convinced it will turn out cleaner than the other one I used on my first attempt.

Can't wait to see more progress on this, keep up the awesome.

Thanks for the continued kudos guys, and Antidromic I'm glad to hear that I'm inspiring someone. Round 1 of fiberglassing started today, pics to follow. I have a question for the pros, though. I'm a bit unclear on when to cut out the visor. I haven't put any fiberglass on that part yet. I'm also considering eventually casting the helm in multiple pieces and assembling it. When would be a good time to cut it all apart for mold making? I'm just not too clear on how hard it is to cut it up into sections after it's been bondo-ed.

IMG_1653.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_1655.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back