First Armor build: Arch Angel Tyrael

Status
Not open for further replies.
progress coming. i'm hoping to finish the boots this week.

I've got 5 more weeks till dragon con starts, lets hope i can grind out the fiberglass and bondo phase in a few weeks to give me a lot of time to work on the detailing.

wow, not long dude, i really hope you do make quik work of fiberglassing and car "fillering"... XD this armour looks really beutifull on some of the concept pictures (fine detail wise)

cant wait to see how you do those bits.

I haven't had a lot of time to work on the legs this last week unfortunately, but I did manage to finish about 85% of the design build for 1 of the legs.

Not showing are the detailed disc pieces for the inside ankle to match the outside, and a larger more intricate duplication for the sides of the knee.

Well enough blabbing, what do you guys think?

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

YEs!
Looks splendid man!

In the front picture it looks kind of crooked; like the middle line of each piece isn't lining up with the next piece of armor
Might just be the picture or that you are standing with your foot pointing outwards

still great, keep them pictures coming

I think that this armor is outstanding. Very unique indeed. I really like how beefy it is. Keep up the excellent work!:)

OFF topic, people need to watch some of the language they use on the forums. There are young kids present that don't need to hear errr.... see that kind of stuff being posted. After all, it is in the rules.

ON topic, Please keep us posted on this amazing build. You really are talented!!!

In the front picture it looks kind of crooked; like the middle line of each piece isn't lining up with the next piece of armor
Might just be the picture or that you are standing with your foot pointing outwards

Yeah I noticed that as well, it wasn't lined up properly. That's a great example of why i get everything shaped out and tape it together before I glue it down :p

Looks good. Are you going to build it over a shoe or boot?

It's built over a pair of puma motorcycle shoes. They're super light and comfy, plus low profile and black... Best part is they're old as hell and I'm going to glue the pieces right to the damn things! :D

I'm trying to work out some logistics with walking though. I know many of you have completed one or more forms of the Marine armors from halo, and I'd really appreciate some help on The best ways to attach the armor to shoes. Also any experience with mobility problems would be a big help too, especially since I'm under a huge time crunch.

Update: Wing design

Bit O' History:

So After doing a little research on my own I'm fairly certain the first use of winged armor comes from Poland in the late 1500's. Hussar warriors wore these massive wings for a couple different reasons, mostly because they were just awesome like! ( My opinion :p ), but In reality they were a tool in attacking the psyche of their enemies. Apparently they made a buzzing noise as wind passed through them (Like on a horse at full gallop.)

Tyrael being an Archangel is based loosely around Gabriel and Micheal. The Arch just means highest, so they're the ones in charge. Micheal is said to be the field commander for the army of god. He's depicted as a warrior with armor and a sword by baroque painter Guido Reni in 1636.

/endHISTORY

So going on the ideas that i'm sure blizzard used to create the character I'm going to say that the resemblance of wings on his back (the short spiky things that fan out as seen below) are in-fact another set of wings :D

WingCloseup.png

And since I don't have time or money to accomplish the giant feat of designing and building the massive tendrils I've come up with a way of combining both sets.

This is Wonderflex:

IMG_0544.jpg

Well... Rolled up and taped wonderflex anyway :p It comes in sheets of 4 by 2 1/2 which is a bit bigger than your average poster board. And it has some pretty amazing properties.
It's pretty much low heat forming plastic and its also translucent.

so.... exhibit B is me using a few articles of clothing to simulate paint on the wonderflex, and shining an LED flashlight through the end to simulate what it would look like lit up.

collageofcoloroptions.png

I think this will do nicely :D

I realize I only did blue, but what other color would I do?

Exceptional work! I love what you're doing here. Not familiar with the character, so I'm afraid I have nothing to say about your wing idea, but it's looking really good! How are you keeping the separate plates together? Are they simply glued in place, or do you have some internals so you can get some movement out of them? Keep up the great work!!

Exceptional work! I love what you're doing here. Not familiar with the character, so I'm afraid I have nothing to say about your wing idea, but it's looking really good! How are you keeping the separate plates together? Are they simply glued in place, or do you have some internals so you can get some movement out of them? Keep up the great work!!

The pic of the leg armor is held together by masking tape for initial sizing and testing purposes, I do it with all the pieces to insure they look and move the way I want. Once I'm satisfied with the design I'll take it all apart and make the other side for perfect symmetry purposes. After that I reconstruct and glue the pieces in place with hot glue.

Dude I have to agree with everybody else, amazing job so far!, Im a big fan of the Diablo series, just out of curiosity, are you planning to make the tentacle-like wings on his back or are you sticking only to the spiked wings over the shoulders due to the dragon con deadline? anyway, Its an amazing build keep up the good work.

how did you make this things?
just looked at the drawings and shaped it yourself?
I love the way it all looks together!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back