First Build: Spartan Emile and Spartan Kat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another Update time! okay so finally after going thru one cutting disc and trying to use a hand saw to make the side latches for the forward grip I caved in went to home depot and bought a pack of cutting discs for my dremel. On the bright side of things I have finished off all parts and pieces and added every detail I could find from reference photos, which means this Weapon is officially assembled! Or as mblackwell1002 or the Emperor would say (this battle station is fully operational!!!) followed by a maniacal laugh. Any how here is the final pics before I get started sealing and painting.
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG

Also plan on measuring and weighing tonight for all those who asked about it. I plan on having my wifes Kat legs painted by tonight so with that update tomorrow I'll also throw in those measurements.

***ERROR 1374734***
Feed hacked
Unidentified transmission received...

Here is another early morning update!!! vivalablake89 gave me permission to do this one so here I go. So he was encountering some issues with the Kat arm file and with the current circumstance with the website transfer, a lot of files are currently inaccessible. Sooo, I am giving Kats prosthetic arm a shot and here is what I got so far:
kat%20arm%202_zpsbeogirmm.jpg

kat%20arm_zpscokwucnv.jpg

kat%20arm%203_zps44hjkhkb.jpg

The arm is a bit tricky since it follows proportions of a normal arm, not one with armor on it, so some thickness modifications have had to be done to get it to fit over an arm. I still have to build the bicep and shoulder bit so maybe I'll be able to hack the feed again.

Thanks vivalablake89 for letting me do this and wow you got a great build! That gun is soooo nice!
***Unidentified transmission canceled***

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick Update,

So we finally got most of the painting down, and some strapping still need to clear coat everything too. Was finally able to do a quick test fit of the legs and torso together. The chest might be a bit too small but let me know what you guys think. I mean my wife and I both agree it fits well but just doesn't sit low enough on her chest. Other then that I think everything over all looks good.

photo 4.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 1.JPG

I also realize we switched the shins by accident on the test lol didn't notice till now. This week we will be focusing on painting all the other pieces helmet and bicep and creating some abdomen panels for the under suit. So hopefully by Thursday we can be looking forward to full body test fit.

It looks like the fit (width) is correct but yes it does look a bit short in the front. You could compensate by building a very detailed under-suit or redoing the lower cross connecting piece and making it thicker than the original by 2-3 inches. That could take away the look that says "Hi tech cross your heart bra from Playtex". If you look at the Pic above that Thom A293 posted about Kat's arm, you see that the armor front and back are nearly the same length from the collar down but the upper ab piece comes down much lower. Her's is almost level w/ the back piece. You may have lost some length on that because the piece is actually pointing towards your wife's abdomen rather going down the front of her torso. She might find that annoying when bending over. It may even force the whole chest piece up and damage that section of armor w/ continued movement.
Don't get me wrong....It looks FANTASTICT!!!! Great job Blake.

Thanks Dirtdives very insightful stuff as usual I may go to route of just building a nice under suite as a distraction seeing as how you might be right about the restriction of movement or possible damage if I lower that upper abs piece. I mean technically its placed where the model had it set. My wife just has a slinky for a stomach lol... Either way I guess I'll try to work best with what I got in front of me. I may raise the Cod piece just an inch or inch and 1/2 I think the placement would like fine there.

The build looks great over all. I would have to agree on the height of the chest piece. Seems a little short for what a spartan armor is. you could fix it with the mid section foam to look like the under suit that there is a file for in the armory. Overall very impressive and the paint is... well..WOW. Emile and Kat are gunna make some heads whip at cons.

probably so. I don't think an undersuit is necessary, but Heck, who doesn't want undersuits? you should go ahead and make loads of em'; you'll need them eventually anyway.

but the one thing I will say is that you need to dull the color a little bit. it looks a bit too bright. I'd mix up a little bit of black paint, and a lot of water, and do a blackwash on it to dull the colors.

but Dang! nice foam work! and the weathering? HA! awesome, man! now paint the dang chaingun! :D :D :D

The build looks great over all. I would have to agree on the height of the chest piece. Seems a little short for what a spartan armor is. you could fix it with the mid section foam to look like the under suit that there is a file for in the armory. Overall very impressive and the paint is... well..WOW. Emile and Kat are gunna make some heads whip at cons.

I was thinking the same thing on that file Harri. I tried making one before with 1/2 inch foam so I think I will go with 6mm and 2mm and leave some spacing in between pieces to allow movement hopefully it will work out. And thanks for compliments on the paintjob I'll let my wife know she is the one who painted most of this. Been trying to teach her the tricks and trade for that battle damage look.

probably so. I don't think an undersuit is necessary, but Heck, who doesn't want undersuits? you should go ahead and make loads of em'; you'll need them eventually anyway.

but the one thing I will say is that you need to dull the color a little bit. it looks a bit too bright. I'd mix up a little bit of black paint, and a lot of water, and do a blackwash on it to dull the colors.

but Dang! nice foam work! and the weathering? HA! awesome, man! now paint the dang chaingun! :D :D :D

Well I probably wont get the MG painted till spring time, going to wait for better weather. And yes Glad you pointed that out. I forgot to mention it in my post but I save my mud wash until after I clear coat things. Apologies I didn't specify before, it does look a little too clean lol... ;)

That is terrific!!! Excelent work Thom, you've done us all a great service! Can't wait to see you put this together Blake!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back