First Foam Armor Warhammer 40K

Status
Not open for further replies.
in my experience in building, and being around war hammer i have got to sat this Armour looks good for a foam build it's not bad at all i love the detail. and small stuff. I have never been big into foam building cause i have never done it but i have used cardboard before. over alll this doesn't look that hard to do seeing is how you have the pep models right in front of you. i might have to try the foam style sooner or later .is the suit so far comfortable and or heavy??? and is it a pain to work with ? and is it easy to cut cause i know your using the think mats and was wondering .Over all man nice job on this thread i love seeing war hammer fans make suits when i do mine its ether black Templar or ultra marines .. good luck getting the rest done i cant wait to see more pics and soon weapons lol keep up the nice work man (FOR THE EMPEROR)!!!

Nice work so far. What chapter are you going for? Also, for you and any others interested in 40k costuming, check out http://www.obscuruscrusade.com/forum/index.php
There is a great community there who do 40k work, and there are some awesome builds. I did a space marine too, from the Raven Guard. You can check it out in my signature.
Good luck finishing it up for Halloween!

WHOA this looks great! Crafty uses of found textures (I particularly like the small circular vents) and your painting skills are boss. The hammered-and-worn edges are my favorite detail!
I am sorry for your recent losses, though. :c

Thank you all.

As for a chapter.......I have no idea. I have played two console games with Space Marines in them and loved the armor. Never played the table top or messed with the miniatures. I really need to read up on the lore someday.

Clothar,, thank you for the link. When I get more time Im gonna have to look through that site.

Dude that site is priceless. Thanks so much, found exactly what I was looking for!!
Glad to hear!
As for a chapter.......I have no idea. I have played two console games with Space Marines in them and loved the armor. Never played the table top or messed with the miniatures. I really need to read up on the lore someday.

Clothar,, thank you for the link. When I get more time Im gonna have to look through that site.

You are welcome. We always like to see new builders over there. Best of luck finishing up!

Last edited by a moderator:
in my experience in building, and being around war hammer i have got to sat this Armour looks good for a foam build it's not bad at all i love the detail. and small stuff. I have never been big into foam building cause i have never done it but i have used cardboard before. over alll this doesn't look that hard to do seeing is how you have the pep models right in front of you. i might have to try the foam style sooner or later .is the suit so far comfortable and or heavy??? and is it a pain to work with ? and is it easy to cut cause i know your using the think mats and was wondering .Over all man nice job on this thread i love seeing war hammer fans make suits when i do mine its ether black Templar or ultra marines .. good luck getting the rest done i cant wait to see more pics and soon weapons lol keep up the nice work man (FOR THE EMPEROR)!!!

The foam is pretty easy to work with. The hard part is figuring out which parts of the pep print outs you really don't need or can be cut out in one piece instead of two or three or more. Cutting is easy enough. Just use a exacto knife and either replace the blades as they start to "drag" instead of cut. Or buy a sharpening stone and sharpen often. Also, for some of my cuts I used a band saw or a scroll saw.

The suit so far isn't all that heavy at all. And while I haven't worn it for long periods of time it seems comfy enough. I am worried that it may be hot once complete. But, I have plans drawn up for a liquid cooled undershirt I can wear under the armor to keep cool. Mobility is another concern. As it is right now I can't walk through a three foot door facing forward. And arm movement is limited by the shoulder bells. Pretty sure I can figure all that out once I get it finished.

A few tips from my experience. Get one of those UnderArmour cooling shirts, they work well. Also, it is pretty easy to mount some small computer fans in the suit, either pulling air through the backpack, or the helmet. The first time I wore mine I had no fans, and it was exhausting. Then I put a fan in my helmet, and I could wear it all day! And yeah, get used to go through doors sideways haha! It's actually kind of fun.

Curious to see your liquid cooled shirt ideas. That could be a great addition.

Basic concept is a camel back with water and some dry ice or maybe just plain ice. A small water pump that is battery powered. And a shirt with tubing sewn into it that will circulate the water slowly. I have a ton of space inside the chest piece so the camel back should fit in there with no problems. Pull water out of the bottom of the camel back and it will return back into it at the top.

Love the build man I'm a warhammer 40k collector my self and collect some marines, for a chapter I've notice your armour is blue I could suggest crimson fists, that blue is practically spot on, the only additional colour needed is a red for your hands and the plate that sits over the hand.

A bit of back ground if you want it,

They were nearly all wiped out when the orks blew up their chapter barracks and killed most of their chapter, nearly 1000 space marines, their chapter master Pedro Kantor (I apologise if I spelt Kantor wrong) led a band of the surviving marines to a nearby city, battling through countless orks. When they made it to the city they were exhausted but were able to defend the city from the ork horde.

Didnt get it done for Halloween. Ended up getting sick and not really doing anything for Halloween...........majorly bummed since its my favorite holiday.....oh well next year. I did manage to at least get to try on the upper half of the suit. Doesnt look to bad considering nothing is strapped in place.

image_zpsd5cba0d1.jpg

image_zpsc399ef2d.jpg

Weather has turned cold and since my garage isn't heated yet I started on my hammer. This is just the start and I just free handed it with whatever foam I happen to have left over so far from the suit. Still have a lot more to do and hopefully my ideas will work out but here is what I have so far. Its 60" tall 6" wide and the hammer head is 20" long.

URL=http://s763.photobucket.com/user/kry97/media/IMG_0079_zpsdd8f1b1e.jpg.html]
IMG_0079_zpsdd8f1b1e.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0075_zps23a89016.jpg

IMG_0076_zps66de768d.jpg

IMG_0081_zps6b77fbb5.jpg

very nice dude it looks great though i prefer Tyranids I've actually been thinking about doing a Tyranid costume

Added some detail to the hammer last night. And I think that cutting this out has been the hardest thing I have done for this little project. And also learned a little something. Don't add battle damage before you glue detail pieces to your armor/weapon cause it looks funny when the battle damage runs under the details you just glued in place. Live and learn.

IMG_0087_zps0d9834f7.jpg

IMG_0085_zpsa88c72bb.jpg

Did some more painting on the hammer. Please let me know what you think.
174_zps7db1d7bd.jpg
180_zps624b877d.jpg

Also have a question for everyone. After looking at this picture more.....
image_zpsd5cba0d1.jpg
Im thinking that I really need to lengthen the black section between the chest plate and the belt. It sits 6" to 8" to high on my body. What does everyone else think?

This is looking great! I can't wait to see what you do with the rest of the suit. Regarding the spacing of the black section: depending on how the bottom half of your suit looks, you may want to give it more room than you think you need. I've never played Warhammer, but with a bulky suit like this there's a lot of opportunity for the suit interfering with itself. If you want to be able to turn at the waist with ease, I'd say leave it like it is. Especially since it would be a lot of extra work to do so.

The hammer is so sweet. How sturdy is it? I'm looking forward to seeing more updates.

This is looking great! I can't wait to see what you do with the rest of the suit. Regarding the spacing of the black section: depending on how the bottom half of your suit looks, you may want to give it more room than you think you need. I've never played Warhammer, but with a bulky suit like this there's a lot of opportunity for the suit interfering with itself. If you want to be able to turn at the waist with ease, I'd say leave it like it is. Especially since it would be a lot of extra work to do so.

The hammer is so sweet. How sturdy is it? I'm looking forward to seeing more updates.

The hammer is pretty darn sturdy. There is a bit of flex between the head and the handle but, I'd say no more than 1/4".

Good points about the waist and the legs. I do plan to hang a tabard in both the front and back from the belt/cod and that would help hide the gaps between the leg armor and the suit itself. And as you pointed out I will need a gap between them in order to walk about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back