First Foam build H5 MC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! I had to take a break had two weeks of almost full 12 hour shifts so it made my progress stop fully. But allowed me to redream the chest piece. Just got for kicks and giggle I remade the chest piece following the reference picture I was using and got it to 99% what I wanted! And altered my
original chest a little too in case I decid to ya know well. Build both chests. Just for the heck of it.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
So this is the new chest. The lines came out more how I wanted as well as the chest I created more relief lines behind the foam to make it more flexible allowing me to curve the top section easier! Also made it a bit wider! The next part is the only part that's a tad iffy but that's alright. It still came out pretty sweet! Also switched up textures from the original chest. As well as foam thickness for details! Now a side by side comparison

image.jpeg

The right one is the old chest and the left is the new I also replaced the texture in the old one because like I said I may keep it. All around I think my second attempt was much better and only took 3 hours to make ;D well tomorrow I'll finish the back and post then! But also will tackle some lighting issues! See y'all tomorrow!

Put a little progression down. Tomorrow will be more. Dremal broke down :( so had to go out and buy another but would not look back! Love this new one! So went back to the front of the Chest sanding and smoothing all or any rough edges! Seams were good to me so didn't touch them.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Then in for a new piece I started with the piece that goes between the jet pack just for a little work to get done today
image.jpegimage.jpeg
Used 6mm and 2 mm foam dor details other parts were raised or lowered accordingly. It seems small. But realized it'll fit fine where it's suppose to go! Tomorrow will tackle the jet packs and the rest of the backing in general!

Looking sweet so far. May I ask if you are using Rhinoc's foam template for the chest piece? I am currently working on my build, but what I plan to do with the torso is take the full detailed halo 5 torso template and convert it to foam like I did with the gauntlets. I just remove any pieces that aren't necessary for foam.

Looking sweet so far. May I ask if you are using Rhinoc's foam template for the chest piece? I am currently working on my build, but what I plan to do with the torso is take the full detailed halo 5 torso template and convert it to foam like I did with the gauntlets. I just remove any pieces that aren't necessary for foam.

Hey man, so I'm using a torso file by monkeyfuj which I found on rainbow dash's foam build I'll try to get the link for ya. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=38092&highlight=Rainbow it has files for all foam converted parts. Which is what I'm using for the majority of the build! I'm currently working on th back of the chest and slightly annoyed with the booster parts!

Double post alert, more progress! So decided to take a little bit of a break from the chest and turned towards the helmet spent a few hours smoothing and cleaning up the visor then taking a few lazy model shorts of the chest front and helmet just for posterity.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
Theres some helmet work for now! Have 3 12 hour shifts the next three days so progress will be halted or slowed! Will follow up when I do a bit more! Spartan22 out!

Nice, the helmet's looking great! How do you plan to do the visor?

im not fully sure yet how to tackle it. I have a few apart visors laying around and I'm going to pop them in and see how close of a fit it is and if they fit well! Then that's what I'll do! If not then I may go ahead and get the flexible visor from etsy which is card stock thin but see through but that's my last resort. I just want to make sure there are 0 gaps.

Hey man, so I'm using a torso file by monkeyfuj which I found on rainbow dash's foam build I'll try to get the link for ya. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=38092&highlight=Rainbow it has files for all foam converted parts. Which is what I'm using for the majority of the build! I'm currently working on th back of the chest and slightly annoyed with the booster parts!
Alright, thanks. Just wondering. The build looks great so far

im not fully sure yet how to tackle it. I have a few apart visors laying around and I'm going to pop them in and see how close of a fit it is and if they fit well! Then that's what I'll do! If not then I may go ahead and get the flexible visor from etsy which is card stock thin but see through but that's my last resort. I just want to make sure there are 0 gaps.
Sounds good, looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Although the visors in the commercially-available Disguise helmet look really good - I wonder how feasible it'd be to extract one of those and use that?

You did say in the beginning that this was your first foam build but that you had dabbled a bit before.......I find this statement to be hard to swallow. Your craftsmanship is FANTASTIC!!! Only someone w/ talent could decide that ...."Hey, let me take a quick 3 hrs to whip together another chest piece and add even more detail to it". How much "Dabbling" did you do?

You did say in the beginning that this was your first foam build but that you had dabbled a bit before.......I find this statement to be hard to swallow. Your craftsmanship is FANTASTIC!!! Only someone w/ talent could decide that ...."Hey, let me take a quick 3 hrs to whip together another chest piece and add even more detail to it". How much "Dabbling" did you do?

Hahaha sorry for no updates I actually got really sick and then had to take a month plus off from it! The foam dust plus pneumonia plus rocking a 103+ fever for half a month beat me senseless i plan on taking up the knife again this week. In all honesty this is my first shot with EVA foam...just when i finish a piece if I dont like it! I scrap it and start over that was my third chest in a week or so and it took lots of time. Ive made 3 backs already and none fit my idea of the back so i scrapped them. I want quality and accuracy so I guess practice makes better. Before this attempt ive cut foam twice that was it lol never any prop experience!

Hahaha sorry for no updates I actually got really sick and then had to take a month plus off from it! The foam dust plus pneumonia plus rocking a 103+ fever for half a month beat me senseless i plan on taking up the knife again this week. In all honesty this is my first shot with EVA foam...just when i finish a piece if I dont like it! I scrap it and start over that was my third chest in a week or so and it took lots of time. Ive made 3 backs already and none fit my idea of the back so i scrapped them. I want quality and accuracy so I guess practice makes better. Before this attempt ive cut foam twice that was it lol never any prop experience!

Yup practice makes perfect. I've thrown out some pieces because I felt like I could do better. And I had to take a month off from my build because I suddenly had to move. It happens. This has been looking great so far for a first foam build!

Yup practice makes perfect. I've thrown out some pieces because I felt like I could do better. And I had to take a month off from my build because I suddenly had to move. It happens. This has been looking great so far for a first foam build!

Thank you! I've been chipping away at the helmet today finally got time back to work away. And I'll have it all finished besides the visor. Some wip of it!
image.jpegimage.jpegFirst coat was a metallic silver for when I weathered towards the end the silver would peak through like metal. Next I followed up with a black and a OD green to do details
image.jpegimage.jpegBlack coat was added for main black details figured it was easier than trying to not overspray. Then came an hour of taping...
image.jpegimage.jpegTape was added to secure the black details and prevent overspray plus a few layers don't hurt.
image.jpegimage.jpegFollowed with OD green....main issue was it got too hot and I didn't pay attention and the spray paint cracked. But making the best of the worse the silver initial layer is peaking through! So it looks like the armor was cracked or damaged so unintentional weathering...haha.
image.jpegimage.jpegAnd for the final color of the suit I went with Italian olive. As the stores were out of sage but in all honestly I love the color much more. I've already peeled the tape off but you guys have to wait till I put lights in and weather it tonight!

Gotten some more time to chip away on my thighs and shins taking time away from the chest!
image.jpegimage.jpeg
One thigh is 90% finished didn't finish a few small details and sanding. also currently working on the shins
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegAbout to finish the left shin going to make the other one later before work at midnight. Sorry for the slow posts. But I've picked up the speed massive. Boots and final thigh tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back