First of all..

Status
Not open for further replies.

SagittariusArt

..Hi People!^^

I´ve searched Hours for a Site that shows how tu Build a MJOLNIR Armor, and now, i found it (Please ignore for some Errors in the Text, i cant speak English perfect, because i speak German).

I go insane when i see this many self-builded Armors here and want to build one too, so i startet to copy the Paper-Helmet from Gamescanner.

Well, its not really like the real Master Chief Helmet, but its not very bad for me, i prefer to build it for playing Airsoft with it.

As the Paper-Modell was finished, i glued some Layers of Epoxyd an Fibreglasshred on it for a harder surface.

After one Week the Helmet´s now very hard, but i don´t know how to build the next Step, the inner Helmet.

BTW i would integrate some Gimmicks like a PMR-Radio, HighPower LEDs on the Sides etc...that is very easy, but like i said, the inner Helmet is my Problem.

What i must do tho do that?

Here some Pics of my Helmet:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/3726/chiefif9.jpg

The FrontPanel is not attached yet, because i build a Recon-Style, or i make a modular Panel.

Sisko4 said:
After one Week the Helmet´s now very hard, but i don´t know how to build the next Step, the inner Helmet.
I recommend that you put a helmet liner inside to make the helmet comfortable to wear and to stop it from wobbling.

Sisko4 said:
BTW i would integrate some Gimmicks like a PMR-Radio, HighPower LEDs on the Sides etc...that is very easy, but like i said, the inner Helmet is my Problem.

What i must do tho do that?
There's a tutorial that tells you how to put LEDs in your helmet:

Wiring LED TO helmet

Other electronics gadgets can be mounted the same way.

Last edited by a moderator:
K thx, that´s what i am searched for!

The KnowHow for the Electronics is already present, maybe i make it rly mad und integrate 2 Surefire Beams *gg*

If you play airsoft with it, you can kiss your armor good bye, this is a costume, not REAL armor. If you play airsoft it will break.

AoBfrost said:
If you play airsoft with it, you can kiss your armor good bye, this is a costume, not REAL armor. If you play airsoft it will break.
If you are wearing a plastic cast, your armor will not break.

That is logical, but the Helmet becomes min. 10 Layers off Fibreglassshreds-Epoxyd Mixes, i think 7 on the outer and 3 on the inner Side will be the Best.

BTW, ive builded once a own Protecting-Fullfacemask, it was with only 5 Layers of 5min. Epoxy/Fibreglas very hard, a Shoot from 7m with 350fps maked only a very little Breakpoint, but it was damn hot under this Mask :p

Hope the Helmet would be better with a Ventilation-System, and when the Helmet comes to a point where i can not aim is this also not bad, then comes the complete Armor for Halloween or Carnival :cool:

Short sayed, i builded it first for Decoration, but thinked then it would be a good Fullfasemask, also test it, then look whats next.

BTW2: Where i can get such Helmet Liner?

THX!

K thx, will search tomorrow for that.

BTW: I´ve seen some very good Pep-Files here, now i want to build the Armor more than befor, but...what for a Paper-Thickness is used? Normal 80g/m² or 100g/m² (the harder one) ?

7 layers on outside? That will look very ugly. Then you gotta bondo the outside to make it look smooth, then, bondo wont hold up to the airsoft's power, it will crack off very easily if shot by a airsoft bb. Plus, that much fiberglass, resin, and bondo will probably cost around 500-600 dollars to make a suit.

Read stickies for what paper to use, it clearly says 110lb.

Well, have readed some other Topics, i think i wear it only for Halloween and Carnival...it must be very hot under this Suit in Summer, as Suit for Airsoft isnt that good...

How much Layers of Epoxyd are you gonna put on in my Case then?

I didnt use epoxy for my armor, I just used 2 layers resin outside, 1 layer inside, 1 layer fiberglass, 1 layer resin over fiberglass.

That being each step they finished drying before the next step was done.

Hmm...well, everywhere i was i could only find Epoxyd and others, Resin was not findable oder out of Stock....maybe one other building a Suit to? *gg*

5 Layers with Fibreglas should do it too, 2 Layers inside an 3 Layers with Fibreglass x2 outside, Material is enough in Stock ;)

K, thx for all, People!

AoBfrost said:

He is talking about metric measurements for the paper. I am in South America and they don't sell 110lbs card stock so since he is in Germany he might not be able to get it.

@ Sisko4 I bought some paper yesterday that was 200GR. And it is almost exactly the same as the 110lbs card stock everyone uses here. ;)

Hope that helps. Good Luck with your armor!

AoBfrost said:
7 layers on outside? That will look very ugly. Then you gotta bondo the outside to make it look smooth, then, bondo wont hold up to the airsoft's power, it will crack off very easily if shot by a airsoft bb. Plus, that much fiberglass, resin, and bondo will probably cost around 500-600 dollars to make a suit.

Frost, we're not all living in Yuppieland, we don't all work by grams. And we're not all arrogant enough to assume so.

Europeans (and for that matter, everyone BUT Americans) work by gsm, or grams per squared metre. A decent card weight would be 200-220gsm, which works out at around 110lbs.

Finally - a properly-resined, glassed and filler-covered helm will indeed stand up to airsoft - granted, it WILL pick up damage after time, but that can easily be repaired or sprayed over, although I WILL agree that the interior should be fibreglassed, not the exterior. Seven or eight layers of resin and fibreglass will almost certainly be strong enough to handle an airsoft pellet, even if the piece will be a little hot and cumbersome, and I'm sure that the cost of the project has been taken into account.

I'd like to point out, however, that my own personal armor system will only be setting me back $200 or so - the entire system will receive three coats of fibreglass and three resin coats, as well as the filler needed to smooth it off. Scaring new members off with large figures isn't what we need here - encourage them, and yes, note the cost. But it isn't a restricting figure, and there ARE ways around it. You just have to shop around.

Still though, my point stands, spending hundreds for a costume, then ruining it, it isnt worth it, no matter how cool you look paintballing/airsofting, you will ruin the suit. The suit is a costume, not real battle armor.

I would argue that the person creating the armor has the power to dictate how he/she uses it.

Spending a large sum of money on a flash car may be a good investment to some, but useless and pointless to others. The choice therefore lands in the hands of the creator and owner. If Sisko wishes to spend the money to make a structurally-sound armor, and then run out to have it shot at and indeed, eventually degraded to the point of destruction, then it is his decision, and more power to him no matter what his choice.

1. Armor though called armor, in no way will protect you from real combat, what we make, is just a costume. The person who makes the suit can dictate how he/she uses it, but the person should have common sense and what is in the best interest for their wallet and costume.

2. Any car, flashy or not serves a purpose, to get from point A to point B. A car can race on the streets, but you shouldnt, it's dangerous and you could reck/kill yourself.

Same with armor, use it responsibly, and use it for it's purpose, you dont buy a car to race the streets then reck it 15 minutes after pulling out of the car dealer.

Primal Weyland said:
I would argue that the person creating the armor has the power to dictate how he/she uses it.

Spending a large sum of money on a flash car may be a good investment to some, but useless and pointless to others. The choice therefore lands in the hands of the creator and owner. If Sisko wishes to spend the money to make a structurally-sound armor, and then run out to have it shot at and indeed, eventually degraded to the point of destruction, then it is his decision, and more power to him no matter what his choice.

(y)

And he don't have to pay 3000$
Just have to mold then cast his armor.

ABS plastic will protect him for airsoft and paintball and won't be damaged at all.

AoBfrost said:
1. Armor though called armor, in no way will protect you from real combat, what we make, is just a costume. The person who makes the suit can dictate how he/she uses it, but the person should have common sense and what is in the best interest for their wallet and costume.

2. Any car, flashy or not serves a purpose, to get from point A to point B. A car can race on the streets, but you shouldnt, it's dangerous and you could reck/kill yourself.
Same with armor, use it responsibly, and use it for it's purpose, you dont buy a car to race the streets then reck it 15 minutes after pulling out of the car dealer.

Regardless, Frost, my point stands. His armor, his decision, and I'm quite sure he took into account the cost of the investment before he considered doing it.

Heck, I've taken on a few commissions for helms that are going to be used purely for airsofting. I've taken the time to outline the damage potential to my clients, and most don't seem to care as long as it will stand up well to airsoft pellets. My research and testing shows that even three fibreglass layers are sufficient to stop a pellet with minor aesthetic damage - I work for the safety of my client and will be adding five layers. A certified motorcycle visor will also be added, and the client realises that the armor will degrade under heavy use.

However, my point is this: some people are willing to spend the money in order to achieve something. That achievement may seem fruitless to you, but to them it is a good investment. Therefore, I ask that even though you may find the practise of airsofting in armor disagreeable, you keep your opinion to yourself and let the creator worry about how he or she is to use his or her set.

like we ceep saying plastic wont break so cast some plastic or make steel like i do for airsofting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back