First Pep and Resin Problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRickoning

I just finished Pepping a ODST helmet and started applying resin.

I hit a big a problem. I had a can of resin in my garage that looked pretty new so I figured I'd use that. It was an unopened can, and the hardener was still sealed. SO i thought I could save a little money since I already had a can of it.

I mixed up a batch and applied it to the helmet, let it sit for a day or so and it never cured. I did a lot of research from applying heat with a heat gun to spraying it with hardener and found a thread that said, mix a new batch with extra hardener and apply it. So I bought a new can, and did just that. Mixed up a batch, and applied it.

So I let it sit for a day and the problem is, in some spots the resin is literally peeling off, or just sliding off the model. Looks like the original layer of non curing resin is just not having it and the curing resin over that can't adhere to the pep.

Is there anything I can do to save it? Can I clean up the non-curing old resin and go from there? or do I need to start over? It took a long time to pep the thing, and It would suck to have to start from scratch.

Thanks for the help!

Well i had a similar problem my first pep. I never knew i had to have a hardener because it didnt come with one. So i went out and bought some and just reapplied it and it worked. From my judgement i think you should try a couple more layers of resin. If it doesnt work im afraid to say move on.

Depends, how bad is it, is it like dripping in resin, on the verge of collapse? Or is it just slightly sticky to the touch and still standing strong?

If it's soaked, leave it in the sun for the day or under a lamp so most of the resin will drip off or evaporate, leaving your model with a sticky surface.

If yours is already at that point, try spraying over it with lacquer. I got some from a hardware store, it's just a can of clear gloss spray paint that seals models and stuff, and it usually dries fast. Spray a few layers on your piece and it should dry. It doesn't give too much strength, but it will give your piece a dry surface which you can work with again. I've found in my experience that when mixing different adhesives it normally starts to react and cure instantly before it's out of the pot. My hope is that the drying lacquer will also soak in with the resin and harden it as a whole, not just the outside layer.

Like I said, try this as a last resort, as it may make things worse. If you're UK the spray lacquer I got was from Wilko and it was dirt cheap.

I ended up peeling off the bits that were peeling off of the pep, sanded it down a little and will reapply some resin over the bad areas. Crossing my fingers that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back