First Pep build and it's an ODST

Status
Not open for further replies.

demo084

Changing the first post with goals of what I want in the final product.

pep files being used:
Kirrou's ODST HD rookie helmet - resined
ODST by hugh bicep - resined
405th neck seal
Kirrou's ODST HD forearms (left and right)
ODST by Hugh belt and spine base
ODST by Hugh boot cover - printed
ODST by Hugh neck template
ODST by Hugh Shin V2
ODST chest assets by Hugh v2 - pepping
ODST chest core by Hugh v2
ODST shoulder base
ODST HD left and right thigh Nightshade
ODST shoulder & sniper plate Nightshade

Extra goals:
Helmet
- Dutch type upgrade
- HID lights
- HAZOP/EOD appearance on chin
- fan and duct system
- blue metallic tint on visor

armor pieces
- damaged modeled off of bullet impacts on metal

I'll be integrating a mask set like the M40 gas mask to help deflect exhaled air and reduce visor fog.
Brother, take it from someone who has been there, done that, and got the sand in his boots too... it will be much easier and more comfortable to get a set of battery-powered squirrel fans. Those will helm air condition the helmet as well as (with a bit of a vector flap) keep the visor free and clear. A little de-fogger on the inside of the helmet won't hurt, either. I would also suggest picking up a set of helmet pads from the PX/NavEx to go on the inside. Those things keep my Mandalorian bucket comfortable even in 100 degree troops.

And the most important thing will be adding the EOD "crab".
This will definitely be something to see. Are you putting it on the helmet, chest armor, or shoulder plate? Also, will you be incorporating any of the SPARTAN EOD armors into your build, but in a smaller scale?

Ok so here is where I stand right now on my poster board build. The only issue I've run into is with the two lower center pieces not aligning right but once I have the torso completely together I'll see what modifications I can do to smooth it out.
095.jpg

Here is how it printed on the poster board I cut out.
097.jpg

This is a rough sketch of how I plan on having the airflow through the helmet via ducts. The red is two HID lights. It will be two fans (one on each side) placed behind the HIDs and connected via CAT5 cable to a control unit on one of the gaunlets.
099.jpg

Hope that's enough pics for the start. As I progress I'll add more.

Jason-078 - I can see how the mask can become very uncomfortable. As a double edge sword, I wear the M40 mask and MSA full face respirator mask on nearly a daily basis. I'm planning on installing it if I can get the parts, and if it bothers me it's a quick and easy removal.

As for the crab, I'm not sure exactly where to place it. Most likely it will be on the upper left chest plate and "EOD" placed below the med tag on the left. I was looking at the MJOLNIR EOD armor, and if I'm able to put the image in my head to a ligit looking armor mod I'll blend them.

I'm going to take an Oregon Aero Helmet pad kit for the ACH and install it into the ODST helmet. Extremely comfortable and impact tested!

Well I trashed the first torso, since the neck plate sat high enough that I couldn't move my head without a helmet on. I just started working on a Kirrou test helmet. Planning on blending Kirrou, Hugh, and some of the files out of the 405th's zip file. Once I've completed the bucket I'll post pictures.

Also, got a great reference for my electronics package from JayAndhek.

http://youtu.be/8EBpFHYuv-0

Looking forward to tearing up one of my helmets back home as a sacrifice for the ODST helmet.

So I just finished up Kirrou's test bucket. No change to scale and I'm thinking of keeping it that way. The armor might be a hair too small but I like being more mobile. This bucket is going to turn into my test bed. If I have an idea I'm doing it on this bad boy first, so I can save my "final" armor.
002.jpg

003.jpg

006.jpg

Let me know what you think. I don't like the tabs though. Since I'm working with posterboard the tabs seem to keep the edge from aligning smoothly and tends to warp the flow of the helmet. Is this just due to the posterboard vs. cardstock, or am I just doing it wrong? If it's a posterboard thing I can live with it and my practice build. If not I'm cutting tabs and "welding" the pieces together.

I have never used poster board so I dunno... But I see what you mean, what do you use as a bonding agent?

I have never used poster board so I dunno... But I see what you mean, what do you use as a bonding agent?

I tried a couple pieces with super glue, and most of it is hot glue. Either way I'm thinking the thickness of the posterboard is what's causing the issue. I'm having my wife mail me some 110lb cardstock with the next care package.

I like how much room I have in the bucket. Definitely plenty of extra space for padding and electronics.

The scaling looks good to me (although I'm not all that familiar with ODST anymore...) the 110 is what I use an my outcomes are pretty good, and superglue works GREAT besides the loss of skin that's bound to happen ha ha

The only con I found with superglue was once the pieces touched they were set. And with this and the thick posterboard I had to do a lot of heating the glue to adjust parts. Part of me wants to try again with normal paper just to see the outcome. Unfortunately, they don't sale cardstock where I'm at. And I can't do fiberglass work, or foam work. So I'm pretty limited in what I can do until I get back home. Then the sky, or better yet my skill, will be the limit.

The superglue definatly takes some getting used to... And it seems like not a whole lot of people actually use it, but I can't do it any other way, and I use super cheap stuff too ha ha, I just find the finished quality is better, and the strength is HUGE, good joints a super tough, and I found I had very little warping on previous resin coats and I imagine its from the superglue...

But as for your location making that difficult that's crappy... But good to get practice in now?

One tip with superglue, have the peices held together exactly where they need to be and then while holding them, put a small bead on the err.. Edge of the joint, hold till dry, then flip it over and glue the whole tab down after. The superglue (if liquid and not gel) will get absorbed into the paper and make a good joint. That make any sense? I dunno ha ha hard to describe with ought visual aid...

Makes sense. I super glued the right intake/light bulge. I did a mandolorian helmet before with a PDF file and no tabs. It turned out pretty BA the way I did it, but when I moved out of Alaska it ended up being one of the things that didn't make the snow haul through Canada.

So the actual plan for a practice piece, probably will do another helmet. Will be to pep and build with normal paper. Then go old school on it with paper mache and build the inside up as though it's a couple layers of fiberglass. Then start making templates for the air ducts, fan and electronics holders, and pad mounts.

That could definatly work, Howcome you can't fiberglass?
And you moved from Alaska? Ha ha I live In Prince George B.C. Canada, you probably went through my city ha ha

I'm staying in barracks in the ROK (Republic of Korea). Since winter is rolling in I can't glass outside, and I can't glass in my room due to the smell. Yup, took my 28' uhaul and trailer from North Pole, Ak through Dawson Creek and followed 97 all the way to Seattle. My first time AK to the lower 48 and my third time driving the ALCAN.

Damn... That's a long drive...
And that sucks for winter... The mâché might work well though, dunno never tried it...

Damn... That's a long drive...
And that sucks for winter... The mâché might work well though, dunno never tried it...

Was easier before the wife and kid, easy with just the wife, long and expensive with both.

Challenge accepted, and I'll start it tomorrow with the pep for the helmet I plan on using.

Glad the superglue seems to be working! You will probably come to love it ha ha best of luck! Can't wait to see some pics,
Largen~

So work has been crazy and I've been prepping for a promotion board. And here is the latest update on my Kirrou helmet.

031.jpg

033.jpg

So I put a beanie under the helmet to simulate padding, and I'm amazed at how much visibility I have with it sitting like this. I'll put the visor in place just before I resin and rondo it. This project might get put on the back burner though. I'm going to "attempt" to make a MK V helmet for my brother in law by Christmas. Just waiting on cardstock, fiberglass kits, and bondo to finally show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back