Planning my first build. (ODST)

AChooChooTrain

I hope that I use this lots and document my journey for making an ODST cosplay.

I recently had a life changing surgery, so I will finally live my dream of having an ODST suit.

I'm still early into planning though, because I have to be extremely careful of fumes and dust, or other breathables. So I'm deciding if I buy hard armour parts made and sew ect myself, or what materials I can use myself that won't harm me.

So far the options seem to be printing with PLA+ as it's low fumes, although I'm scared of toughness and the amount of effort to 3d print in general. Or if I buy a seanbradley type kit off of Etsy which will have done a large bulk of it for me. I could also look at getting parts 3d printed locally but I don't know anyone or how I'd go about that...

Buying a kit and printing yourself are both perfectly viable options! Personally, I always enjoy the challenge of making something entirely myself. That's why I say that if you have the resources and are willing to put in the time to learn a new skill, you should totally go for the DIY option! I know that some members use PLA and PLA+ for their armour, but I've also heard that PETG is worth looking in to. Hopefully one of my other fellow members can weigh in on that!

In terms of safety, any time you are sanding you should wear a dust mask, or even better a respirator. Whether you have your pieces made or make them yourself, you will need proper PPE to protect yourself from fumes from glue and paint, and dust from sanding.

Buying a kit and printing yourself are both perfectly viable options! Personally, I always enjoy the challenge of making something entirely myself. That's why I say that if you have the resources and are willing to put in the time to learn a new skill, you should totally go for the DIY option! I know that some members use PLA and PLA+ for their armour, but I've also heard that PETG is worth looking in to. Hopefully one of my other fellow members can weigh in on that!

In terms of safety, any time you are sanding you should wear a dust mask, or even better a respirator. Whether you have your pieces made or make them yourself, you will need proper PPE to protect yourself from fumes from glue and paint, and dust from sanding.
I decided I'd give PLA+ a go after being recommended it. And I'm going to try print a Sniper rifle first, as practise, as I haven't actually printed anything in years. Hopefully I can get my a relative who is a handyman to do some sanding for me too. Hopefully will do the first parts today!

PLA+ is easier to sand than PETG, so its a good decision, the only down side is that PETG is a little more tough, but unless you are throwing your suit around it shouldn't be an issue.

I Hate Sand

-
Anakin

PLA+ is easier to sand than PETG, so its a good decision, the only down side is that PETG is a little more tough, but unless you are throwing your suit around it shouldn't be an issue.
I meannnnnnn you don't have to throw PLA very far at all for it to get damaged. I had a 3D printed AR in PLA. If fell off my back and fell about 4 feet. It broke into 4 pieces :/

The tougher plastic you use the better. Best to print to protect

Well. After speaking in the 405th discord, some lovely people helped me, and I actually got my printer working properly and not half working for the first time in years since owning it!

I managed to print 2 parts of the H4 sniper, which have been my longest, and biggest prints ever! The rifle body mostly worked except the trigger guard which I'm sure I can fix!

Attachments

• PXL_20240330_095703946.jpg
    PXL_20240330_095703946.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
I hope that I use this lots and document my journey for making an ODST cosplay.

I recently had a life changing surgery, so I will finally live my dream of having an ODST suit.

I'm still early into planning though, because I have to be extremely careful of fumes and dust, or other breathables. So I'm deciding if I buy hard armour parts made and sew ect myself, or what materials I can use myself that won't harm me.

So far the options seem to be printing with PLA+ as it's low fumes, although I'm scared of toughness and the amount of effort to 3d print in general. Or if I buy a seanbradley type kit off of Etsy which will have done a large bulk of it for me. I could also look at getting parts 3d printed locally but I don't know anyone or how I'd go about that...
As someone who was very cautious about fumes and other breathable issues due to recent health discoveries that I have. PLA seems to be fine with an air purifier next to it for fumes or in a open room that's ventilated. For crafting wise. I made no expense on good quality masks for sanding and for painting, 2 separate masks. Don't forget glasses!

Besides that, its a fun journey and the big prints may seem scary but when they get put together, your hard work really starts to feel like it pays off :)
Take your time and have fun :D
I'll be following your journey for sure!

Well, after a fair bit of work, I've printed a lot. So far I have a full Halo Infinite sniper printed, although this is the only photo I have of it post first coat of primer, and not fully assembled. And the first half of a chest piece for my ODST. I set my own record again by printing for over 2 entire days printing the single half chest. Things are going well! I also have been making a couple of kukuris for friends birthdays as both gifts and test pieces for colours!

Very happy so far

Attachments

• PXL_20240413_220514863.jpg
    PXL_20240413_220514863.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20240408_142508245.jpg
    PXL_20240408_142508245.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20240407_130028128.jpg
    PXL_20240407_130028128.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
Big chest piece is done (ISH), going to test superfine milliput in the front gap, so I can make do with the stock I have for 40k modeling. Haven't quite figured out how I'll attach it to myself, but people have suggested Molle carriers, so I'll have a think when I've printed the back, and more pieces for the torso.

Prints are slowly upping in time with all this, starting at 4hrs, and now at 3 day prints! Never thought any of this would've been possible :)

Attachments

• PXL_20240420_142149380.jpg
    PXL_20240420_142149380.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
Big chest piece is done (ISH), going to test superfine milliput in the front gap, so I can make do with the stock I have for 40k modeling. Haven't quite figured out how I'll attach it to myself, but people have suggested Molle carriers, so I'll have a think when I've printed the back, and more pieces for the torso.

Prints are slowly upping in time with all this, starting at 4hrs, and now at 3 day prints! Never thought any of this would've been possible :)
Looking good brother!
Do you have something in mind to smoothe the layer lines?
Secondly how many walls did you give to your settings? If it's just 2 I would be gently sanding the layers themselves!

Looking good brother!
Do you have something in mind to smoothe the layer lines?
Secondly how many walls did you give to your settings? If it's just 2 I would be gently sanding the layers themselves!
3 walls I think, and my current plan is to do the main sanding with a palm sander, and smaller bits get someone else to do for me. Or possibly get all of it done for me so I can avoid the hassle of where/ how I sand avoiding breathing it in, or I'll XTC3D it, but that seems expensive

3 walls I think, and my current plan is to do the main sanding with a palm sander, and smaller bits get someone else to do for me. Or possibly get all of it done for me so I can avoid the hassle of where/ how I sand avoiding breathing it in, or I'll XTC3D it, but that seems expensive
Sounds spendy!
I may try wet sanding to avoid the particulates geting into the air. Learned the hard way.
Down side no palm sander but you get a work out from it haha.

Sounds spendy!
I may try wet sanding to avoid the particulates geting into the air. Learned the hard way.
Down side no palm sander but you get a work out from it haha.
Oh yeah, wet sanding is a good idea! I'll see how much I'm able to do by hand (gotta be careful with upper body ATM)

Blocked out the main colours, taping took forever though, and it needs a few touch ups.

Still don't know which extra colours or details to add, any recommendations welcome (I do have some blues which I'll be using for my Romeo colours) then I'll weather it, and wash it which should hopefully bring it all together!
1000018011.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back