First Pepakura Attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacman11

Hey everyone. I just joined the forums a few days ago, so I thought I would make my second post (first post other than introducing myself). I've started my own armor and so far I have the mark Vi helmet almost fully pepped and also the left shoulder piece. I thought I would post some pics of what I have so far so I can get the comments and advice from people who have done this a few times. There are a few uneven spots on my helmet, but hopefully it's nothing a little bondo can't handle.

004na.jpg

013pb.jpg

015io.jpg

007qh.jpg

018vmq.jpg

The shoulder piece isn't complete, but I thought i would show the progress on it anyways.

016ys.jpg

The helmet fits me pretty good, but the shoulder piece is a little big (or so i think). should the shoulder piece be able to stay on my arm without any support? or is mine too big? It's the left HD shoulder from Robogenesis and i have it scaled at 86. Has anyone else used this file for their shoulder pieces? If so, what do you have it scaled at and does it fit well? I'm 6'2" and about 180 pounds. Any comments and constructive criticism is welcome. It's my first time attempting to make armor and my first pepakura attempt (probably shouldn't have started with the HD stuff :p). Thanks again and it's good to be here learning and working with the best.

dude nice work , well done! , you have done extremely well especially a hd version for your first pep keep up the awesome work

Looks good, your pieces may seem to be alittle big but remember you still have to glass the inside which causes the interior surface area to reduce and then you have to add padding which will help keep the pice on your arm. I have added strapping to my daughter's so it is attached to the chest. I on;y did this because she is only 3 and she is tiny! :)

Great work keep it up.

Nice work man, i got my helmet finished pepping, but i left the visor area on it for structural integrity reasons( hot glue and fiberglass resin can have some trouble), but other than that, yours is looking damn fine man.

How long did it take you to make the helmet?, and what scaling factor did you use?, i had 23.991115 for mine after i did the numbers....yes im short....BITE me XD

...hmm maybe grunty suit next hehehe

thanks for the nice comments guys! :D makes me feel like i did something right on the first try. that's always good. I actually used the default scale that was on the HD pep file from FlyingSquirl. .253260 is what it was im pretty sure. It turned out to be the perfect size. I am 6'2" with pretty long hair, so maybe the hair makes it fit nice and snug lol. And it took me about 20+ hours to cut, fold, and glue. I took my time and made sure the numbers were alligned. Right after I post this I am going to do a resin test run with a test low res pepakura model.. and if everything goes okay I will start on my actual helmet! wish me luck!! :D

Looking Great man, and yeah make sure that your pep pieces have some wiggle room on the inside to allow for reinforcement and padding, otherwise you just wasted lots of time only to not have it fit.

5N0WM4N said:
Looking Great man, and yeah make sure that your pep pieces have some wiggle room on the inside to allow for reinforcement and padding, otherwise you just wasted lots of time only to not have it fit.

I really appreciate the advice man. At this point (you know... me being a noob at armor building) I will take any advice that people can throw at me. I really want this set of armor to be a nice piece of work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey it's been a week or two since my last update, but i got a few more pieces done! Enjoy, and comments/advice are always welcome!

My new HD left thigh. trying it on for size. what do you guys think?

006qg.jpg

My progress on my chest piece. I think i did a decent job on the folds.

009mg.jpg

Me trying the front of the chest on for size

004zu.jpg

A closeup of the chest.

006wm.jpg

I'm working slow because of school and calc 3 and chem exams, but I should have it done by finals week so I can march around campus! haha. Let me know what you all think of what I have so far! Thanks 405th :D

Your progress looks great. I am just starting my helmet.. Any advice from one noob to another?

Do you have any tips you have learned that might help me out?

Something to share to another noob?

morgonzo said:
Your progress looks great. I am just starting my helmet.. Any advice from one noob to another?

Do you have any tips you have learned that might help me out?

Something to share to another noob?

well i have had a few failed attempts at pepakura, and it was because i was kinda rushing trying to finish something. So my main piece of advice would be just to take your time and make sure your folds are crisp and your numbers line up perfectly. I found that using hot glue is the easiest way to glue your pieces together (as long as you dont let it dry before you get the piece fully in place). Also I would just stick to one tab at a time. If you get one tab to line up perfectly, chances are that your adjacent tab will also line up perfectly. That's all i got for general tips. Slow is fast in the pepakura process. If you have any tips, I'm all ears. Maybe we can learn from eachother. haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back