First post First build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyhtem

Greetings to you all.

Recently I have started my first project, which is Midwestern brotherhood of steel power armour. i extracted 3d model from fallout 3 mod and started downscaling it using blender and metasequoia. although i just hit the wall which is unfolding. I still end up with small 1 "face" pieces and no matter how hard I try I end up messing it even more than it was in the beginning.

Is there any trick to unfolding? or someone with more skill could do it?

For now it looks like this :) pep.png

There is no real trick or short cut to unfolding. It takes a lot of time. Took me 20 hours to unfold the halo reach commando helmet. Take your time with it. Try to unfold it on a laptop so you can relax on the couch. It also helps to take the color off of the design.

- - - Updated - - -

But if you want I'll finish it for you. It will take some time. Send me the file davidnicklas@ymail.com
I'll send it back after its finished

Ok so by trial and error i foud out how to unfold complicated models. yay:) right now i`m waiting for my 250g/m cardstock and I can start printing it. I`l update this thread as i progress. I hope that some Fallout fans will be interested after im done:) ohh and one more thing :) sry for my english :)

Materials that I`ll use:

Cardstock 250g/m
Polyester resin
Polyester putty
Hobby modelling glue
80 to 300 grit paper if needed 3000 grit water paper
allot of time:)

Method: poly resin on top then "rondo" since i live in Poland i have to use substitute of bondo putty and poly resin. after that some poly putty

PS: After im done ill start preping classic M72 GAUSS RIFFLE

There is no real trick or short cut to unfolding. It takes a lot of time. Took me 20 hours to unfold the halo reach commando helmet. Take your time with it. Try to unfold it on a laptop so you can relax on the couch. It also helps to take the color off of the design.

- - - Updated - - -

But if you want I'll finish it for you. It will take some time. Send me the file davidnicklas@ymail.com
I'll send it back after its finished

I`ll send it as soon as i`m back home although (at least in my opinion) i`m nearly done still got some problems with small pieces in curvy places but im getting there:)

PS: i noticed that it is better to "Cut" in horizontal stripes Pepakura tends to unfold them betten that pieces that are cut vertically

Things just got real:)

here`s my Brotherhood of steel jumpsuit (cap is getting done) and my helmet pep printed :)
Jump.jpg
Pep.jpg

as soon as helmet is assembled I`ll post more pictures

Nice looking jumpsuit, and man does that look like a difficult helmet to put together lol

Nice looking jumpsuit, and man does that look like a difficult helmet to put together lol

Thanks and yeah it is hard some of the bits are 2mm wide and 2 to 5 cm long allot of curves and hard to acces areas i think thats the reason why noone did it before

Love fallout, good luck with the build buddy :)
I tried unfolding a few bits the other day and became loss very quickly :-(

It was hard bud i did it somehow:D and i had to downscale it face by face verticle by verticle to make it look as it should look original was around 5000 faces after i was done around 2000 faces which gave me around 1200 parts to glue:D anyway it looked like that two days ago :D

2014-11-30_01-06-45_145.jpg
2014-11-28_14-28-59_9.jpg

That file looks like a doozy, you're doing great so far though :thumbsup
Been too long since I played Fallout, almost didn't recognize it o.o haha

That file looks like a doozy, you're doing great so far though :thumbsup
Been too long since I played Fallout, almost didn't recognize it o.o haha

Yeah it does:) although it`s fun to glue all those small pieces hopefully i`ll be done in a day or two:)

2015-01-11_23-00-39_622.jpg2015-01-12_00-19-31_0.jpg2015-01-12_00-19-37_424.jpg2015-01-12_00-19-42_987.jpg2015-01-12_00-19-47_162.jpg

And there it is
bigsmile.png
First Time EVER made Midwestern Brotherhood of Steel advanced power armour helmet
bigsmile.png

Unfortunately resining will be postponed due to weather and temperature outside as most of resins and bondo need at least 15 degrees (celcius) and right now it`s 3
smile.png
Anyway now I`ll start building chest and shoulders
bigsmile.png
after that legs and arms
smile.png

Attachments

• bigsmile.png
    bigsmile.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 368
  • smile.png
    smile.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 346
  • smile.png
    smile.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 336
  • bigsmile.png
    bigsmile.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 339
  • bigsmile.png
    bigsmile.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 350
  • bigsmile.png
    bigsmile.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 364
  • bigsmile.png
    bigsmile.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 361
  • smile.png
    smile.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 342
Well long time no see
bigsmile.png
although it`s been a verry busy time for me since im running two projects at one and the other one is nearly done
bigsmile.png
so here are some updates on my helmet
bigsmile.png

2015-03-11_23-49-56_961.jpg
2015-03-11_23-50-24_247.jpg
2015-03-12_00-50-30_190.jpg
2015-03-12_00-50-41_933.jpg

Attachments

• bigsmile.png
    bigsmile.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 321
  • bigsmile.png