First project...Dr. Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Fur

Alright, I am a complete noob but I thought I would post progress on my first project. I am going to try and build a Dr. Doom armor. I am going to try and modify an Iron Man pep build for this. I have completed my first pep....well part of a pep. I started with the Dr. Doom mask pep that has the green hood. I just pulled the mask out and put it together. This weekend (depending how bad you guys say I did), I am going to start adding some additional detail and resin it. Or I am chunking it and starting over. I might have to start over anyway and resize it a bit. But I want to see it resined before I chunk it for that reason. I am hoping to give it this look....
1241641419685.jpg

and here are the pics of my first put together pep....

doom1a.jpg

doom3a.jpg

Thanks Chez. I am playing with Metaseq to see if I can pull that mask off the Doom pep and add it to an Iron Man helmet. I want to try and make the faceplate rise like an Iron Man armor. I am most likely to going to redo this one as a whole helmet. I have never played with a 3d modeler before so I am hitting the learning curve. I am hoping I can pick it up fast enough to figure out how to chop something up. :) Thanks again for you comments and will have some more pics this weekend after I resin this one....I am dying to get my hands dirty.

I think it looks good. A little constructive criticism if I may, The mouth on your pep looks like it has too much of a "frown" to it. I would try and reshape it with some spare cardstock to get the right look if you're going for an exact of your reference pic anyways. Otherwise, I think it looks good as is.

Keep up the good work! :)

Well, sorry for the long delay. I have been busy and doing things in stages. I have gotten 3 layers of resin on the front and 2 layers of fiberglass layed on the back. I am going to do a third sometime this week/weekend. I noticed the chin piece was a bit out of wack (on the left side looking at the mask)and tried a couple of times to fix it but got it as close as I could and left it. I will try and repair it with bondo/clay. I have also started marking some stuff I want to add/sand/bondo as I go. You will see I have put in marks for rivets to go and where the "vents" will go at the bottom/sides of the jaw. I am also going to cut out the mouth and put in a mesh backing and mouth piece like the one in the original pic. I have also made some notes on it on what to be mindful of the next time I do this.

Since this is the very first time I have done this, I am going to complete it all the way down to the paint job just to get used to all these processes and what to look for in the future. Figure this will be good experience and will be a good conversation piece later. "Hey, look at how far I have come from this piece!" :)

I stopped on the glassing the back because I got a couple of air bubble in the fiberglass cloth on the last layer and I am going to attempt to sand those out before putting the last layer in. Let me know what you guys think!

resdoom3s.jpg

resdoom4s.jpg

resdoom2s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back