First Suit Build (Noob Commentaries)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got another update for you guys! So, I have now applied all of my hinge devices and have put primer on all of the pieces, meaning they are all ready for paint!

First off, one problem I had was putting the screws through the hinges. Despite the fact that my suit could still be a little bit stronger in some areas, it was WAY too strong for me to drill through! So, I had to use this dremel head to bore holes where the holes would go:

10141215071.jpg

I just hot-glued the hinges exactly where I wanted them to go, then meticulously bored inside the holes where the screws would go, then glued the screws in place with PVC cement and more hot glue, then removed the glue on the outside hinge. Here's a hinge with the first screw in it (forearm):

1014121507a.jpg

I then used the ends of popsicle sticks to make bracings so they wouldn't move. I may take a picture of that, or may not. Here's the forearm and the handplate on my arm:

10071220141.jpg

I know it's a little small, but I wanted to have some more mobility, as I will be wearing this to school soon. I also just dislike the appearance of the elbow-end of the forearm being really large that some costumes tend to have.

I then did the strapping for the torso. I just did simple strapping for the top, but had attached buckles directly to the lower rib section. I wanted to try using adhesion rather than drills and screws, so nothing would show on the outside. I first tried the PVC and hot glue method again:

1007122059.jpg

This would have worked great, had the buckles stayed in place. Unfortunately, the bond was too weak, so I finally tried epoxy putty, which REALLY worked! So, I was finally able to put on the torso! Here it is:

Torsoandhead.jpg

And so, here are all of the pieces together, with only painting, padding, and strapping left:

1015122217.jpg

I have already primered the rest of the pieces, and closed the gaps between the helmet and the lenses I will be using (I will talk about it in the next update), so my next step is painting.

Got another update for you ladies and germs. Last update, I still had to make the eye-holes able to support the lenses I will be using. First, I covered the lenses with masking tape:

1016121941.jpg

I originally tried clear wrap, but that was just a complete debacle. Then, I added epoxy putty to the insides of the eye-holes to close the gaps, making sure it was as absolutely smooth as possible:

1017121339.jpg

After that, I sanded down the rims of the eye-holes to make sure they were smooth. After paint, I'll attach the lenses (they're reflective lenses from a pair of sunglasses I bought at Walmart for $10).

Then, I started painting. Here are all of the suit pieces - minus the greaves and helmet - with the first coat of paint:

1017121703.jpg

Same picture, another angle:

1017121704.jpg

Then, I added the color stripe to the thigh. Here's the newspaper on it:

10191216361.jpg

And, here's the paint stripe on it:

1020121643.jpg

Here's the back of the torso after blackwash and detailed paint:

1020120027.jpg

Here are the gauntlets after blackwash and detailed paint:

1019122051.jpg

Here are the hand plates post-blackwash, post detailed paint, and post scratch paint:

1020121644.jpg

For the black wash, I used a watered-down acrylic paint, while the details were also acrylic, but not mixed with water. I still have some minor imperfections to fix and the emblem to paint on. But, all black-washing, scratch paint, and detail painting has been done. After today, I'll just have to pad and strap it together, and I'll be done!

The joy of painting :D u almost have it mate...

i didnt use the water method ... i used the spray 'n whipe technique if u want to know how it looks like just check my thread . :) maybe it gives u more room for decision u will make !

u almost have it keep it up!

DAT HELMET.

Your suit is coming alone nicely! I like the paint job so far, and your helmet is incredibly slick ! Keep up the good work! (And, if possible, try to get some pictures with a bit more lighting, the blurriness hides some those precious, delicious details!)

Guys, I just want to thank you all for the nice comments I've been getting. You guys are really making me feel encouraged. Again, I'm really sorry about the poor picture quality. The finished suit will be taken with a better camera, and will also be in a few of my senior pictures, so with luck you will be able to see what I've done a little bit more easily.

Anyways, I have another update for you kind peers. I've finished all of the painting with the exception of the emblem and some final details that will both be on the security shoulder. I also have completed the padding on all of the suit pieces, with the exception of the upper arms.

So, here's the back of the torso, completely done with paint:

1020122241.jpg

And, here's the helmet with all of the paint, as well as padding and the necessary lenses:

1022121408.jpg

Here's the security shoulder with the background for the emblem painted on:

1022121417.jpg

I know it has quite a few noticeable voids in it and doesn't look exactly great, but I had initially intended for those to be chips in the armor. I still may paint some silver in them to get the desired effect, but I'm currently debating it.

Anyways, I mentioned earlier that I completed the padding on almost every suit piece. I used EVA foam to build up the foam so it was able to actually reach my body, then used eggshell camping pads we have laying around the house for what would actually touch my body:

1022121407a.jpg

It ended up being quite comfortable to wear, especially with the helmet and torso.

Here's a picture of the padding for the right thigh:

1022121407.jpg

Well, that's all for now. I am now finishing the final details on the security shoulder and strapping the armor together. My next update may be pictures showing the completed suit, but who knows? Later!

I actually have no friggin' idea what this is! I just found it lying around in my house, and decided to put it to good use. It really looks like the spur to a cowboy boot to me. Any ideas on what it is?

It's used to mark stitch patterns in leather or other thicker materials. Sorry to jump back to page 1 on you but I recently started following this thread. Armor looks great!! Looking forward to more progress pics!

So, I have that final update for you guys!

Before doing the strapping, I used the drainage pipe method to finish the boots. I feel they turned out splendidly:

1102121611.jpg

I then strapped the suit together, using side-release buckles and regular strap webbing. I used rare-earth magnets for the gauntlets. I finished the strapping and a test fit on the morning of October 31st at midnight.

So, with the help of a good friend of mine, I finally donned my first Spartan suit for the public eye. And now, without further adeu, I present Spartan S-529!

Here’s Hercules and I:

HerculesAndI.jpg

Here’s a picture of myself with all of the jocks in my classes:

MeAndTheJocks.jpg

And, here’s my favorite pose o f the day:

AwesomePose.jpg

This was an absolutely awesome day! I got so much attention and pictures taken of me, and all for six hours straight! I was even called out of the audience for a school rally for a game, so I was under a huge spotlight! This was definitely the best Halo-ween I’ve had so far.

Despite that, there were some complications. I made the error of using hot glue for the straps (I had seen other people do this, so I did it as well), and they kept on giving out throughout the day. Fortunately, I have some awesome teachers with glue guns, so I was able to fix the problems easily. Now, I’m going to resin the straps to ensure they stay there. I actually did this to the legs before the big day, so I know it works well. I’m working on them right now.

I will be taking more pictures of my suit during my senior pictures, so I will probably post them here. I will also be starting more projects before too long. Until next time!

that's pretty good work there son, now let's try useing HD files next for the next one.

I'm amazed at how well you guys are able to do on your first suits. This one looks like it came out really well, and I like the personalization you added to it. Being a nuclear engineering major, I have a soft spot for radiation symbols.

Thanks for the comments, guys! Yes, the next build of mine will utilize HD models. But, this is my first suit, so I wanted to start with something easy.

Nice build, I was wondering how to add small details like that, I'll have to try that out at some point. Keep up the good work man!

Moving on to actual pep work: For you VERY new members, the only program that is NECESSARY is Pepakura Designer. However, I like to use Pepakura Viewer for when making the actual pep models. I personally believe it makes it much easier in the long run when putting the model together simply because of the ease of the program. But I digress.

When actually building the pep models, a very common practice and HIGHLY useful one is to score your folds before cutting out your pep pieces. There are various ways to do this, ranging from using a pen and a ruler to using the dull side of a knife. What have used with great success is this thingy:

CreasingTool.jpg

I actually have no friggin' idea what this is! I just found it lying around in my house, and decided to put it to good use. It really looks like the spur to a cowboy boot to me. Any ideas on what it is?

So I've been thinking of how I could refine my scoring process....OMG thank you for posting that pic. For the luv of God you have just saved my sanity. I've been peping for about 30 hours this week and I only wish I found this pics and thread sooner. Thanks for the tip bud!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back