First time builder: MK7 Build Journal (Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also wanna know the same thing.
Could it possibly be a roll-up Yoga/Camping mat?

Interesting question, I'm gonna join too.

K so here are the labels on the stuff I've been using. To my knowledge, the medium thickness material in black is 5mm, and the thinner stuff is 2mm.

20130924_232155_resized.jpg

20130924_232215_resized.jpg

Looking amazing!! Love what you've done so far cant wait to see more.

Looks like some great work so far my friend

Thanks fellas!

Oh for real? I've been stupid.

I got a pack of craft foam from a local shop a few days ago and the stuff just seemed way too flimsy, It was practically useless. Since then I just kinda discarded the idea of craft foam except for basic details. Thanks for clearing that up though, I just had a look around and it turns out there are a lot of types of craft foam, so I'll be picking up a variety of types to try out, in order to hopefully find something a little more rigid.

EDIT: This is the flimsy stuff I picked up from the local shop...

Don't judge me... I wanted a Zebra-print magnum... :p

Zebra print weapons FTW LOL!

K so here are the labels on the stuff I've been using. To my knowledge, the medium thickness material in black is 5mm, and the thinner stuff is 2mm.

Thanks fellas!

I can get 2mm easily and I have acces to plenty of thick EVA mats, but this is something I cannot find in the UK ANYWHERE. My search is not over yet, but Amazon has never failed me until today. All I get are these sheets called "Foamboard", which only come in single sheets and are way over £10 just for a sheet. No way I'm paying that. Might have to venture into eBay territory. If only Amazon vouchers worked on eBay. D:

Thanks for taking a pic though, good to know exactly what I'm looking for.

-S420

EXACTLY what I have! Hmm, alright then. Thanks for that :)

I can get 2mm easily and I have acces to plenty of thick EVA mats, but this is something I cannot find in the UK ANYWHERE. My search is not over yet, but Amazon has never failed me until today. All I get are these sheets called "Foamboard", which only come in single sheets and are way over £10 just for a sheet. No way I'm paying that. Might have to venture into eBay territory. If only Amazon vouchers worked on eBay. D:

Thanks for taking a pic though, good to know exactly what I'm looking for.

-S420

No worries, hope it helps!

I haven't checked up on your build in a while and it's a good thing too, if I wasn't already finished with my foam work I would of have up all hope. That is the same types and even same brands of foam I used (I bought a pack of assorted colors of each thickness though) and your build is sooooo much better than mine!
But seriously your work, and level of detail is outstanding.

I haven't checked up on your build in a while and it's a good thing too, if I wasn't already finished with my foam work I would of have up all hope. That is the same types and even same brands of foam I used (I bought a pack of assorted colors of each thickness though) and your build is sooooo much better than mine!
But seriously your work, and level of detail is outstanding.

I've been following your thread, it's exemplary work man! Thanks for looking, and keep yours going strong!

For a beginner which would be easier fibreglass or foam?

Both can be equally challenging really. For your very first build I would go ahead and go with foam. It's cheaper and a bit easier to work with, plus you eliminate alot of chemical fumes associated with fiberglass.

Updates: Thruster packs finally FINISHED. Not gonna do another thing to them, I swear. I seriously considered rebuilding the shoulder pieces altogether for the sake of complete accuracy, but I think I'll save that for another time. For now, i just want to put this thing on. Halloween was my target to begin with, but not looking good at this time. We'll see. Plan to flesh out the back of the torso next, then tackle the legs- starting at the feet.

20131014_101222_resized.jpg

20131014_101845_resized.jpg

20131014_102059_resized.jpg

20131014_104701_RichtoneHDR_resized.jpg

20131014_105833_RichtoneHDR_resized.jpg

20131014_120950_RichtoneHDR_resized.jpg

20131014_112906_resized.jpg

20131014_121952_resized.jpg

20131014_163429_resized.jpg

20131014_173140_resized.jpg

looking absolutely beautiful man :D awesome foam work! but i just realised, this is just the chest...still abit to go lol

I've begun construction of the center piece that bridges the two thruster packs. Kinda odd being able to wear the thing without holding it together with my hands...

20131015_190112_resized.jpg

20131015_190043_resized.jpg

20131015_185856_resized.jpg

20131015_190826_resized.jpg

20131015_190949_resized.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back