First Time. Marine Helm Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

II BLiiTZER II

Ok, this is my first helm and project. Was put on to this stuff by xXFemaleSpartanXx and shes answered most my questions, but there is one before i start fibreglassing this afternoon. Do I need to fibreglass the outside of the helm? Ive read various tuts but they all vary. I know your bondo, but do i bondo on the fibreglassed outside, or just stick some resin on it then bondo over?

Anyways, onto the pics! So far its only a pep model, but i should get some more up later once ive started fibreglassing.

[attachment=7742:med_gall...0_221309.jpg]​

[attachment=7743:med_gall...0_343477.jpg]​

Last edited by a moderator:
Roflroflroflroflrofl
You can't go rong with the low-res marine helmet :p
I have one of those but because of how much bondo i would need to use to get it smooth i didn't continue after i finished the pep, and not to mention the size of the thing!

Resin the inside then fibre glass the outside, then bondo i believe, im not sure, haven't started my resin and fibre glassing yet. just about to though

delta38 said:
Roflroflroflroflrofl
I have one of those but because of how much bondo i would need to use to get it smooth i didn't continue after i finished the pep, and not to mention the size of the thing!

Resin the inside then fibre glass the outside, then bondo i believe, im not sure, haven't started my resin and fibre glassing yet. just about to though

Yeh lol, i did think the same thing :D well, ill be starting mine in a couple of hours time, but ill follow your guidelines. So i it goes wrong, im blaming you! ;)

delta38 said:
Roflroflroflroflrofl

huh, this got me to thinking, did anyone ever tackle trying to make a "hi-res' halo 1 marine helmet?
did a quick look with the search, but just found halo3 marines...

want a little tip to help you smooth that out... Might save you a little on filler and bondo.

I am sure you have scrap cardstocklaying around, cut it into smaller versions of the polygon shapes on the top and glue them into place trying to center them if you can, make each layer smaller and smaller. 2-3 layers won't hurt anything, it should help to start to smooth it out for you.

Resin the outside. use superglue or hot glue and apply the fiberglass matt to the inside. If you decide to use fiberglass cloth you are going to need a couple layers of it. Then apply the resin on top of the fiberglass. When you are done it wouldn't hurt to apply a second, thicker coat of resin to the outside. You won't have to worry about losing details with the second coat of resin as there really aren't any in the first place.

Then you are to the point you can start sanding and adding filler

Well, i got my grandad to give me a hand. This is good because he is a carpenter/joiner and so is good with his hands (;)) but, erm, unfortunately, hes very rash and just does what he thinks is right and wont let me tell him other wise. So, instead of following any of the tuts ive read, we just cut the matting out, slapped some resin through it and pasted it on with more resin.

I took some pics, and tbh, its looking "ok". Wont be perfect, but im hoping itll look good for a first time helm :cool:
These were taken a few minutes after we left it to harden. Should be putting another layer on at some point.

[attachment=7745:DSC00063.JPG]

[attachment=7746:DSC00064.JPG]

[attachment=7747:DSC00065.JPG]
Sorry for poor quality, camera on phone :cautious:

All the bits that i know are sticking up i shall remove before applying the next layer...

You did a good job on the glassing and I bet you used a fiberglass mat. It's clean. Then again and no offense it's kinda a shell.. Lol

Nice name to ;)

HaloFreakX said:
You did a good job on the glassing and I bet you used a fiberglass mat. It's clean. Then again and no offense it's kinda a shell.. Lol

Nice name to ;)

Yeh lol i kinda realised that :lol: I did use the matting, and its turned out pretty thin in areas, so giving it a second coat should solve that. Also, to answer beths question, i havnt done the inside, but that is coz, tbf, it was hard enuf doing the outside, let alone getting inside too. Im hoping though that the 2 layers of fibreglass, along with the body filler on top, should be enough to make up for not doing it inside. My grandad is also on about sticking some fibreglass putty stuff over the top, so i dunno... but well see how it all turns out! So far its cost me £11, which is $22 for you americans ;)

Looking good for a first project :). If you are able to sand down the finerglass on the outside, and add some bondo, you should be able to get rid of that "angular" look. ;)

Overlord_Ian said:
Looking good for a first project :). If you are able to sand down the finerglass on the outside, and add some bondo, you should be able to get rid of that "angular" look. ;)

Yeh, well, some of the fibreglassing has "blown out" on each side, causing a bulb if you like of fibreglass on the sides. This means i may need to use a bit more, or less, bondo to make it smoother oe whatever. It doesnt look to bad though, because the bits that blew out are same on both side, so it looks simetrical :D

Hopefully, ill be sticking a second layer on next weekend, and then bondo week after, but im not sure because of GCSEs and i gotta redraft and sort out my english essay :cautious: fun.

Also, could someone please post a good bondo tut for me? i check some of the links in the tut thread, but most are broken or not very helpful. Thanks.

Bondo is something you really have to actually do before it makes any sort of sense. But I can give you a few pointers that may help you avoid common mistakes.

Make sure your hardener is a different color than the bondo.

The "rule of thumb" is to spread out bondo on a piece or cardboard and then put a line of hardener through and mix it up.

Don't do it near flammable things.

Apply in sections, sand, and apply again.

Make sure you do it in the shade.

Wear proper safety equipment (glasses, respirator, gloves).

This is the basic process I use when ever I apply bondo. Eventually you get a feel for the working time (roughly 3 minutes) and when it's good to sand.

First you did pretty good with fiberglassing part. :) Second is it me or does the helmet look like a shell. Nevermind Other than that looking good :cool: I know it says Marine Helmet as the topic, but do you plan on making the rest of the armor?? o_O

Shad0wJ0ker said:
First you did pretty good with fiberglassing part. :) Second is it me or does the helmet look like a shell. Nevermind Other than that looking good :cool: I know it says Marine Helmet as the topic, but do you plan on making the rest of the armor?? o_O

Lol, tbh i also thought it looked very much like a shell, but it was the low (quality? there is a better word for it its just escaping me :cautious: ) version. im hoping to check some pics after i bondo and use the engraver i brought my dad for christmas to put some detail in it.

To answer your other question, i mite do, i dunno about boots though. If i do make boots, theyll be last on my list. Also, finding time and money is pretty hard atm as my gf will most probs be expecting summat for valentines (lol) and the next 2 years are GCSE years. So im gonna be writing essays most of the time fun fun fun! Next though, ill probably follow onto the shoulders, and thighs etc. Big pieces (apart from the helm obv) likethe chest and boots will come last, if at all.

Thanks for the possitive feedback :D feel like im on ebay again ;)

Veritech017 said:
Bondo is something you really have to actually do before it makes any sort of sense. But I can give you a few pointers that may help you avoid common mistakes.

Make sure your hardener is a different color than the bondo.

The "rule of thumb" is to spread out bondo on a piece or cardboard and then put a line of hardener through and mix it up.

Don't do it near flammable things.

Apply in sections, sand, and apply again.

Make sure you do it in the shade.

Wear proper safety equipment (glasses, respirator, gloves).

This is the basic process I use when ever I apply bondo. Eventually you get a feel for the working time (roughly 3 minutes) and when it's good to sand.

Forgot to mention my thanks yesterday, this will help me loads when i get round to it :D

this is actually really helpful because, knowing me as i do, i would have probably applyed the bondo all over before sanding, making a mess of it, then applying more to repair the damage! lol. Just a quick question before i get onto the bondo part, how much do i need to apply? Ive never actually worked with bondo before, so do i need to stick it on thinly (say a 5-10 mm thickness) or slap it on (around 30-50 mm thickness)? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back