First Time ODST

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrialDuckling10

So I've been kinda active on the discord for a little bit but I've been neglecting to post here, so here it is! I'm mainly using Andrew DFT's guide but I've also been using some of the resources online and on here. Also, I'm a cosplay noob, so any advice or constructive criticism is appreciated. As for my progress, I have finished the making torso and the helmet, though I'm going to redo the helmet later because I know I'll be able to redo it much better. The torso pics are also from before I put on wood glue, but it still looks basically the same.

Attachments

• IMG_3512.JPG
    IMG_3512.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_3513.JPG
    IMG_3513.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_3545.jpeg
    IMG_3545.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_3546.jpeg
    IMG_3546.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 164
Looks great so far! Really love that torso. On the helmet it looks like you got a bit of squeeze out (of what looks like hot glue to me). It is possible to avoid that, although a tad tricky (it helps if you kinda spread out the glue with the nozzle of the glue gun before you join the pieces.) I would really recommend contact cement. You don't have to get the barge brand, I just got whatever they sell at my local dollarama. The important thing is that it dries fast. I find it much easier to assemble foam with contact cement than with hot glue, although different people have their preferences. I think it would definitely be worth tryin to test it out on a smaller piece to see which method you like better. So far it looks great and I can tell that whichever you choose you're going to do a great job!

Looks great so far! Really love that torso. On the helmet it looks like you got a bit of squeeze out (of what looks like hot glue to me). It is possible to avoid that, although a tad tricky (it helps if you kinda spread out the glue with the nozzle of the glue gun before you join the pieces.) I would really recommend contact cement. You don't have to get the barge brand, I just got whatever they sell at my local dollarama. The important thing is that it dries fast. I find it much easier to assemble foam with contact cement than with hot glue, although different people have their preferences. I think it would definitely be worth tryin to test it out on a smaller piece to see which method you like better. So far it looks great and I can tell that whichever you choose you're going to do a great job!
Yeah its hot glue, and I tried in to smooth out the glue with the nozzle but its kind of rounded with grooves, so it didn't work well. I think I did a better job with the torso since I was actively trying to hide the glue (I wasn't with the helmet), but I should have some time to look into contact cement before I start starting the next part so thanks for the recommendation!

Hey, great job so far looks nice!
I'd also agree with what N8TEBB said about contact cement. In my experience, it's more flexible and more forgiving if you make a mistake.

Yooo your scoring is excellent and I love that chest piece you did. Looking good so far man! My first cosplay I made was for my son and I also did the Andrew DFT one. Keep it up! Definitely try the contact cement when you get the chance. I made the switch when I started my newest build and it changed my cosplaying life hahaha can’t wait to see more man!

So I've been kinda active on the discord for a little bit but I've been neglecting to post here, so here it is! I'm mainly using Andrew DFT's guide but I've also been using some of the resources online and on here. Also, I'm a cosplay noob, so any advice or constructive criticism is appreciated. As for my progress, I have finished the making torso and the helmet, though I'm going to redo the helmet later because I know I'll be able to redo it much better. The torso pics are also from before I put on wood glue, but it still looks basically the same.
What did you reference for the torso piece? Looks really good!

What did you reference for the torso piece? Looks really good!
I just used the free DFT template, which is simple but looks good imo. I'm pretty sure the torso is the same design as that of the halo reach marine's, which might be easier to reference because its not obstructed by the breastplate.

So I haven't had time to work on the armor but I slowly finished painting the nerf MA40 throughout the week. It works too!

Attachments

• IMG_4144.jpeg
    IMG_4144.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_4145.jpeg
    IMG_4145.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 114
yeah i'm working on my first helmet and i'm thinking about restarting it. and i like your thoughts on it

Attachments

• 92E701CB-7355-4427-8B63-6B90355A079D.jpeg
    92E701CB-7355-4427-8B63-6B90355A079D.jpeg
    522.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 1623C27A-7CCF-426B-A881-BDADC4A48EC1.jpeg
    1623C27A-7CCF-426B-A881-BDADC4A48EC1.jpeg
    505.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 5EEAC266-59CA-4461-92D8-52E16797D847.jpeg
    5EEAC266-59CA-4461-92D8-52E16797D847.jpeg
    824.4 KB · Views: 94
  • DCF0B02C-ACDB-4DDB-820F-DFF9D0C35F32.jpeg
    DCF0B02C-ACDB-4DDB-820F-DFF9D0C35F32.jpeg
    659.4 KB · Views: 98
yeah i'm working on my first helmet and i'm thinking about restarting it. and i like your thoughts on it
Hi Mechace13 , welcome to the 405th! If you start a new thread with your question you'll likely get more feedback on it, and it'll also allow TrialDuckling to keep his own content on his thread. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back