First time pepakura ODST helmet (pics inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODST RULE

Well my first ever attempt at anything like this here it is so far

425396_147140402089119_1421928418_n.jpg

and another angle
548482_147140788755747_275862335_n.jpg
whats my next step?
any advice
thanks all

Well your next step is to resin and fiberglass the helmet to harden it, you should put 2 or 3 thin coats of resin on the outside the helmet, but you should put less resin on the detailed parts so the resin wont cover it up.You have 2 options for the inside of the helmet. 1. You fiberglass the inside with resin and fiberglass cloth. 2. You RONDO the inside of the helmet. I like to fiberglass mine because it makes the helmet very light when you have it resting on your head. RONDO is like resin but hardens like cement on the inside. If you choose to fiberglass it, it may take a little longer to fiberglass it than RONDO it, but it's worth it, so i believe on my preferences. Anyway this is a very nice start for your first pep. Who were planning on making the helmet based off of? Mickey? Romeo? Rookie? Or Buck? Be sure to keep me informed i wanna see your progress :)

just a plain generic ODST still undecided whether to do full ODST or my reach Spartan.
Which is more difficult in your opinion?

Well your next step is to resin and fiberglass the helmet to harden it, you should put 2 or 3 thin coats of resin on the outside the helmet, but you should put less resin on the detailed parts so the resin wont cover it up.You have 2 options for the inside of the helmet. 1. You fiberglass the inside with resin and fiberglass cloth. 2. You RONDO the inside of the helmet. I like to fiberglass mine because it makes the helmet very light when you have it resting on your head. RONDO is like resin but hardens like cement on the inside. If you choose to fiberglass it, it may take a little longer to fiberglass it than RONDO it, but it's worth it, so i believe on my preferences. Anyway this is a very nice start for your first pep. Who were planning on making the helmet based off of? Mickey? Romeo? Rookie? Or Buck? Be sure to keep me informed i wanna see your progress :)

Hey i would just do what recon said to do. I would also suggest fiberglass to rondo.
As most people will tell you on this site make your own ODST or spartan then once you have that work on a master chief build when you've gotten use to all the materials you need to work with.
As for difficulty, i think the ODST might be a little easier depending on the pep files you are using but in my opinion its always worth starting out with something harder than easier. If you get frustrated just take a break and come back to it.

Am I right in assuming this is Kirrou's Low-def ODST Helmet file? if so, I got one sitting right next to my printer, and it doesn't look half as clean!

I have not made a reach spartan, but I am nearing the end of my ODST (see link in signature), and I'll say that ODSTs can have their fair share of difficulties, esp. when it comes to the shins and making the angled ODST visor. ODSTs seem to have somewhat more strapping involved, too, but don't take my word for it.

Anyhow, I think rsmith said it best :

As for difficulty, i think the ODST might be a little easier depending on the pep files you are using but in my opinion its always worth starting out with something harder than easier. If you get frustrated just take a break and come back to it.

Keyword : fun. Keep the fun, keep the passion, keep up the good work!

Hey i would just do what recon said to do. I would also suggest fiberglass to rondo.
As most people will tell you on this site make your own ODST or spartan then once you have that work on a master chief build when you've gotten use to all the materials you need to work with.
Yeah, i agree on what he said, the thing that i do is i make 2 or 3 different projects at once. I do this because when i get frustrated i go onto another project. Ive got a halo reach pilot and eod helmet and a halo 3 body piece i am working on all at once. Doing this technique isnt a bad habbit at all. Trust me lol

I love Kirrou's tester file! It's fun to pep and useful for scaling.

I would suggest using the HD ODST helmet file if you plan on completing it all the way with hardening and bondo work so your arms don't fall off from the sanding/shaping work. I like Kirrou's file, but I heard really good things about Hugh's file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back