First Timer Foam Mark VI for Child

Status
Not open for further replies.
200_d.gif

... if you say so...

So, it's been a few days since I posted, and I've made some progress. Front chest, and upper rear parts. Will continue with the rest of the back and jet pack this week.
Then moving on to the rest of the extremities.
My Amazon helmet shows as delivered to my office...excited to see that bad boy!

20180812_222712.jpg

20180812_222804.jpg

Hahaha dude that looks fantastic! If I were a child, I'd be thrilled to wear something like that. Looks good!

Made it through a few more late nights working on the torso. Back done, minus the jet packs and got it married to the front with some velcro.
Need to work out some little extensions for the rib parts.
Test fit in the morning before camp...stay tuned...

20180815_233916.jpg

20180815_233906.jpg

20180815_233854.jpg

I love what I'm seeing. This chest piece looks fantastic! I canxt wait to see it painted.

It's been a while since I posted, busy summer and vacation. Back to the build and I've been picking away at pieces.
Thigh, forearms, jet packs and biceps were all done free hand from pictures of the chief.
Need to do the boots and cod pieces, small detailing and voila, build is done .

He's going to get his helmet and his Boomco assault rifle this weekend for his birthday .

Then on to paint...phew, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
20180907_225014.jpg
20180907_225055.jpg

This is the exact stuff I used. Super Glue Ultra Liquid Control | LePage®

I was using Angelegend as a reference, he uses the Loctite Professional 5 second glue on his armours, with hot glue reinforcement. "its bonds on a molecular level with the eva". I've found that it holds extremely tight, and sets quickly. So far so good...we'll see how it holds up when a 6yo plays with it.

I used Angelegend as reference too, but cannot get the same loctite over here so I use an alternative called Everbuild Industrial Grade superglue, works a treat and have used it on all my builds, reinforcing the back of the seams with hot glue, not had any problems with it seams popping and the only thing that popped was a buckle holding front ankle piece on one of my boots ;)

I used Angelegend as reference too, but cannot get the same loctite over here so I use an alternative called Everbuild Industrial Grade superglue, works a treat and have used it on all my builds, reinforcing the back of the seams with hot glue, not had any problems with it seams popping and the only thing that popped was a buckle holding front ankle piece on one of my boots ;)

I started using Gorilla Glue, since it came in a larger container for less money. Excellent stuff .lots of controller and doesn't dry too quickly.

Cheers on your build and "welcome back faithful" .

Nearly done construction and on to painting .
I've seen it suggested to use Plastdip first to seal the foam prior to spray paint.
Anyone have a different opinion on this? Different product?
Any suggestions on paint brand? Trying to find a rattle can that's close to the colour of the helmet I bought (see above)

Nearly done construction and on to painting .
I've seen it suggested to use Plastdip first to seal the foam prior to spray paint.
Anyone have a different opinion on this? Different product?
Any suggestions on paint brand? Trying to find a rattle can that's close to the colour of the helmet I bought (see above)

PlastiDip in Canada is highway robbery so I'd say save your money and use a different product. FlexiDip and LeakSeal are the two Rustoleum rubberized sprays that are similar to PlastiDip but are usually half the price locally. Both have similar applications of warm the can a little in a bucket of water for a finer spray application but FlexiDip is a finer spray naturally and doesn't tend to get the orange peel texture if applied too heavy. Avoid the white versions though, they aren't quite as smooth.

If you can find Frog Juice I've heard it's magical.

If you want to go a bit cheaper you can use any PVA glue watered down with water to create a shell.

If you want to go more expensive try some Smooth-On Epsilon Pro.

Basically it's whatever works for you and whatever fits your budget. The whole point of coating after heat sealing the foam is to prevent the spray paint from cracking and flaking when the foam flexes.

If you go to the Red Moon Cosplay Solutions website. They have a product called FlexiPaint (think its from the UK). It needs to be mixed with water at 5:1 and you can brush it on. I don't know if this stuff can be used through a spray gun.
Also no fumes so, it can be applied indoors.
An 8oz bottle goes for $11.99 and 16oz $22.99. they have a couple of other sizes but, I don't think you're going to need that much.
I have used both PlastiDip and FlexiDip in the past and I wanted to try this stuff as an alternative.
I got the 16 oz bottle and was able to seal my ODST suit (as seen in profile pic) and an AR with 2 coats each. I still have plenty of product left for my next project that I am working on.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Being in Windsor allows me the convenience of shopping in the US .
Plastdip is $6/can and found Rustoleum spray paint for less than $3/can.
Bought 2 Plastdip and 3 Rustoleum for $23US....about $30CDN.
Amazing how much inflation is applied to CDN retail prices!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back