Flying Squirrel Helm, Scaling Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agenator

So I just completed folding and glueing FS's hd mark VI helmet (pep) and realized, oops, it doesn't fit on my head! So now I need to figure out how to get it too fit onto my head. The height/depth if fine and the length (from mouth piece to back of the helmet) are perfect. But its too narrow for my fat head to fit inside. Is there anyway to only scale up just the width? If not then how can I scale the whole thing up to fit my head? Is there any formula?
Ive tried searching the forums, etc. but to no avail (although I'm not terribly good at searching so I may not have searched for the righ6t stuff). Anway thanks in advance for your help.

Agenator said:
So I just completed folding and glueing FS's hd mark VI helmet (pep) and realized, oops, it doesn't fit on my head! So now I need to figure out how to get it too fit onto my head. The height/depth if fine and the length (from mouth piece to back of the helmet) are perfect. But its too narrow for my fat head to fit inside. Is there anyway to only scale up just the width? If not then how can I scale the whole thing up to fit my head? Is there any formula?
Ive tried searching the forums, etc. but to no avail (although I'm not terribly good at searching so I may not have searched for the righ6t stuff). Anway thanks in advance for your help.
Hello I do believe that the answer to your question is here: http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1804 next time do a little more research on your question. Also you can ask a Q and A Team member through a PM. MODS PLEASE LOCK

Last edited by a moderator:
Agenator said:

It definitely sounds like you didn't trim the opening.

The helmets are meant for you to cut the opening for yourself to fit you. Not everyone's head is the same... Most of that bottom part will be cut as to get your head to fit. Just don't cut to much.

Also you will see a small edge or lip. If so you can use that as a guide like to follow as a cutting line. Cut that edge and see how it is.

I have the same question, how to I scale this helm, I the current scale says the following:

I tried the formula from halo costume wiki but it made the helm too big, this is the formula that I found in that site:
1. Find out your height in inches.
2. Divide your height by 86. xx / 86 = x.xxxxx
3. Take the number you found in step 2, and multiply it by 31.9.
4. Go to Pepakura Designer, open the helmet, and go to the "scale by specifying value".
5. Enter the number you found in step 3 in the assembled height box. This is the height of the helmet in centimeters.

I'm 6feet tall and I weight 170 pounds, can anyone tell me which values should I use to properly scale flyingsquirl's HD helm?

Actually, FS has a text doc with his helm that recommends you measure from your chin to the top of your head in centimeters then add a couple more for padding and glass. That goes in as the assembled height.

tlither said:
Actually, FS has a text doc with his helm that recommends you measure from your chin to the top of your head in centimeters then add a couple more for padding and glass. That goes in as the assembled height.

were do I get that text document? It wasn't were I downloaded the pep file :unsure:

It is in the thread with all of Squirl's pep files. I don't think he would mind so here it is:

"The best way to scale the helmet is to get a ruler with cm on it, mesure from the bottom of your chin to the top of your head making sure to keep the ruler perpendicular and being sure it's in cm (it's what pep uses) take this measurement and add a few cm for padding and such and input it into the assembled height part in the scaling. most people get a measurement between 25 and 27.5 but its not unusual to get it some where around 24-32cm. "

Flying_Squirl

tlither said:
It is in the thread with all of Squirl's pep files. I don't think he would mind so here it is:

"The best way to scale the helmet is to get a ruler with cm on it, mesure from the bottom of your chin to the top of your head making sure to keep the ruler perpendicular and being sure it's in cm (it's what pep uses) take this measurement and add a few cm for padding and such and input it into the assembled height part in the scaling. most people get a measurement between 25 and 27.5 but its not unusual to get it some where around 24-32cm. "

Flying_Squirl

thanks for the help, now I understood how to scale on pepakura, now I need to buy some card stockpaper and ink for my printer

I suppose that for the chest piece I can do the same, because the file I've got its pretty big

Body measurements work pretty well. You can also print out one of the support struts (that goes across the chest) and scale it to the right length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back