Foam Armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinaryCode

Jr Member
Is it possible to use foam to make armor, or is it just way too hard and delicate to even try it? Because I'm thinking of making a Mjolnir Mark VI (From halo 2 and 3) helmet using foam.

I'm not very experienced in armor making (I made an assault rifle out of cardboard with the same method as the pepakura's folding way and an SMG by taping together 5 drawn layers). But other than that, I'm as noob as it gets when it comes to this stuff.

So, if it is possible to make armor using foam, can someone tell me how, or even better, give me a link to Foam tutorials? 'Cause I couldn't find any. I did find a lot of molding and pepakura tutorials, but none of them were for using foam.

Thanks for your support.

PS: I'm posting this topic here because I don't really see how it would fit elsewere.

I suppose you could,but are you planning to resin it or strengthen it in any way? Because after a while, the foam will just crumble away from use.

RadioaciveMicrobe said:
I suppose you could,but are you planning to resin it or strengthen it in any way? Because after a while, the foam will just crumble away from use.

I don't think so, It's not like I'm going to go out and run around with it, i'll just wear it rarely. And If it did get damaged, I would probably be able to repair it pretty fast.

But anyways, has anyone done this? Is there anything that I can look at to get started here?

Last edited by a moderator:
it is possible i was thinking about doing it but you need experience with CAD programs..you can either buy a CNC Router or build one...a CNC Router is pretty much a computer that directs a router to specific points. The foam is sturdy but expense and the CNC Routers can be made under 250 bucks. Check out this site:

http://buildyourcnc.com/default.aspx

and these guys inspired me to use the CNC but id rather use the PEP files and use fiberglass....the detail is FREAKIN AMAZING!!!

http://www.legendaryarmor.com/

I hope this helps some

Robbie Social

BinaryCode said:
I don't think so, It's not like I'm going to go out and run around with it, i'll just wear it rarely. And If it did get damaged, I would probably be able to repair it pretty fast.

But anyways, has anyone done this? Is there anything that I can look at to get started here?
you can do it but u would have to put a coat of tape or something on it because the paint will eat away the foam if u use spray paint.

Robbie Social said:
it is possible i was thinking about doing it but you need experience with CAD programs..you can either buy a CNC Router or build one...a CNC Router is pretty much a computer that directs a router to specific points. The foam is sturdy but expense and the CNC Routers can be made under 250 bucks. Check out this site:

http://buildyourcnc.com/default.aspx

and these guys inspired me to use the CNC but id rather use the PEP files and use fiberglass....the detail is FREAKIN AMAZING!!!

http://www.legendaryarmor.com/

I hope this helps some

Robbie Social

Thanks for trying to help, but I don't really have 250$ or the knowledge/skills to make my own CNC router, I was looking for a more manual way to make the helmet.

And thanks dozver, I'll keep that in mind.

Darkslitter said:
What kind of foam are you using insulation, squishy stuff, craft foam? If you have a picture that would help alot.

The hard, solid style. You know, the kind that comes out of boxes when you purchase an electronic device from a store, it comes on the sides of the item to protect it.

Looks pretty much like this (Found it from google):
9.JPG

Smooth-on has a variety of rugged space-filling foams that may handle well to a mold. I know that many batman costumers create their amazing costumes with foam latex, oven baked within a fiberglass mold. Perhaps a MC costume created in foam will allow for excellent range of motion as well as durability.

Ixius

And perhaps it already does ;).

Styrofoam will not work folks. You'll need a type of urethane foam. Find the one that will work for you. Great Stuff is cheap but there are a lot better and more expensive alternatives at smooth-on like Ixius said.

Foam isnt the best idea since when it comes time to smoothen and harden it, you in the end will end up using the same products you'd use if you made armor parts with pepakura.

There's also no way to really "perfectly" scale the pieces to all be accurate on your body when doing it free handed. But with pep, all pieces are scaled to your size and will fit as long as you scaled them properly.

the only thing styrofoam is good for is hitting each other with.... no. i have made some fake limbs and stuff over the years with styrofoam for horror movies and stuff... but using it to make armor would be a bad idea.

-you woiuld have to make it pretty thick for it to keep any of its strength
-it breaks pretty easily
-you cant put that much detail into it
-and as its been said, you would still have to cover it with some kind of hardening agent. witch would likely eat threw it...

you could use it carve a manikin of yourself, to put your armor on while working... thats about all it would be good for.

Sigma-LS said:
And perhaps it already does ;).

Styrofoam will not work folks.
Will work perfect, if you do steam expansion of raw styrofoam in aluminium mold :)
But way expensive. Except mass production of course.

Do NOT use packing foam. Go to a singe shop and get 5 lb or 10 lb We use 5 lb

Carve it with a hot knife, then Hard coat it. Look up set making.

Foam is a standard on most sets.

Rob

Use craft foam, it is very easy to cut and shape, and spray it a couple times wih "plasti-dip" spray, it will soak i up like a sponge, and harden it. This should work pretty well, but i still reccomend a pep helmet

Alright, so I basically started on the top part of the helmet, and I have to say, you guys are too pessimistic. It started out looking fine and now it has small bumps on it caused by the white bubbles that can be fixed with an overlayer of tape. The tape would not only make the whole thing stronger, but it would make it smoother as well. (I'm not so sure if spray paint will stick on it though)

But the biggest problem about foam is something that you guys haven't listed- the mess. It makes an incredibly large amount of mess with little white bubbles that will stick to anything and everything. I tried carving it on newspapers and I still managed to get it all over the place. And I don't have a good spacy garage to work in since there's a car in there most of the time and the wind outside would blow the stuff away, so I can't work in the yard either.

So basically, I'll have to put this project on hold until I find a nice, comfortable place to work in that I wouldn't be scared of messing up with the foam.

Sorry I'm late to this thread but I have ALOT of experience with styrofoam liek the kind that your useing. My dad and I build entire floats out of it for Fantasy Fest where I live, example:

610x.jpg

This was our float for 06' And the entire thing is made of styrofoam.

If you have specific questions, dont hesitate to ask me. I saw that you metntioned the white balls that flake off... that can be taken car of. Use a really sharp filet knife to slice away at the styrofoam, it makes the job really smooth and less mess (though you will never eliminate the mess this foam makes lol). And the knife will make it much easier to sculpt.

I hope this helps you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back