Foam Armoring

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you should start filling the seams with plasti-dip or hog mog after you detail with a dremel. So switch fill the seams and detail with a dremel around. And an ODST would be possible, not an easy start, but possible. Its better that you start experimenting with the foam before you make a suit, otherwise your final product may not be what you were expecting. A hot knife would probably be your best bet for cutting the mat, a razor blade works just as fine, but the mat eats up blades like crazy! Besides that, it looks like you got everything else in order. In my opinion, I think strapping would be best in any case, wheather the material is comfortable or not, it all depends on the adjustment and how you want the suit to fit on you as the final prduct. Hope this helps and hope everything comes out great for you! :)

And you should start filling the seams with plasti-dip or hog mog after you detail with a dremel. So switch fill the seams and detail with a dremel around. And an ODST would be possible, not an easy start, but possible. Its better that you start experimenting with the foam before you make a suit, otherwise your final product may not be what you were expecting. A hot knife would probably be your best bet for cutting the mat, a razor blade works just as fine, but the mat eats up blades like crazy! Besides that, it looks like you got everything else in order. In my opinion, I think strapping would be best in any case, wheather the material is comfortable or not, it all depends on the adjustment and how you want the suit to fit on you as the final prduct. Hope this helps and hope everything comes out great for you! :)

You might actually want to do your dremel detailing before you start gluing and bending... might make it a little easier :p

This won't be my first suit so I should be good lol My first suit failed once I got to fiber glassing though and that's why I want ot use the foam instead lol. And thank you both for the advice! It shall both come in handy I think it shall come out close to perfect if not perfect x3

So in conclusion I:
- Get the mats
- figure out templates
- draw templates and cut
- detail
- glue together
- fill the seems with plasti-dip
- paint
- strap
- trick out

Awesome. and when I start, I'll video it to help other people out as well. Just to make it a little easier lol

One more question I have though, is can you vacuum form this stuff??? xD

Bingo! And wheather its your first suit or not, you should still experiment and practice with the foam before you get to work. I myself have built nearly 30 suits, but each time I use or discover a new material, I do experimentations with it before I get to the real deal. After all, better safe than sorry right!? =P

Bingo! And wheather its your first suit or not, you should still experiment and practice with the foam before you get to work. I myself have built nearly 30 suits, but each time I use or discover a new material, I do experimentations with it before I get to the real deal. After all, better safe than sorry right!? =P

Right ^_^ and so I shall!! Once I find me some mats first. . . No Harbor Freights in my area T-T Would Wal-Mart, Target, or BJ's sell these mats? Or would a hard ware or automotive store have these?? I want to start this weekend when I get my paycheck :3 lol

for anyone who is interested, you can smooth out the edges where the foam connects to each other with 1/4 in. masking tape and two coats of plasti-dip

That's pretty epic dude!! Keep up the good work!

And what could replace a hot knife? I managed to get the pads (only place I could find them was Lowe's for $20 a pack of 4 >.>) but I really am not sure on how to cut them. . . I do have a box cutter but I hear that the blades will get killed on it lol So are there any tutorials on how to cut these foam pads besides cutting them like paper???

And what could replace a hot knife? I managed to get the pads (only place I could find them was Lowe's for $20 a pack of 4 >.>) but I really am not sure on how to cut them. . . I do have a box cutter but I hear that the blades will get killed on it lol So are there any tutorials on how to cut these foam pads besides cutting them like paper???
Band saw. It's been mentioned before and I cannot recommend it enough. Cuts almost perfect edges like butter. A quick pass on the belt sander and you'd have perfectly smooth edges.

Band saw. It's been mentioned before and I cannot recommend it enough. Cuts almost perfect edges like butter. A quick pass on the belt sander and you'd have perfectly smooth edges.

That would do perfectly 'cause I think I have one :D So thank you all once again ^_^ lol

Ben Streeper, you are a god among men! I love your videos. Hope you are well soon. One of these days Im gonna have to drive to Texas just to buy you a beer, lol

That would do perfectly 'cause I think I have one :D So thank you all once again ^_^ lol

I would have to second that on the bandsaw.... I am not making armor with my foam... yet.... but you can see what I am
working on here:

Ma5C Sliced Foam - First Attempt

I used the bandsaw ALOT cutting out the core EVA foam and also for doing some of the detail stuff.... still have a TON of things to finish....

Cujo3131

Haha! Then Diet Coke it shall be! I was hooked on that crap for almost 2 years. I had to go through basic training to rehabilitate myself. I feel for you man.

And thank you again for this series of vids, I found this just in time to stop me from pepping an entire suit, lol. Going to the store tonight to nab some foam.

I would have to second that on the bandsaw.... I am not making armor with my foam... yet.... but you can see what I am
working on here:

Ma5C Sliced Foam - First Attempt

I used the bandsaw ALOT cutting out the core EVA foam and also for doing some of the detail stuff.... still have a TON of things to finish....

Cujo3131

That's all with a band saw??? Dude that's epic!!!! Band saw it shall be then!

Actually though, I found someone selling a wood burner kit. And one of the attachments is like an x-acto knife blade. Does anyone have any experiences with these or think they would work as well as a hot knife??

do you think a scroll saw would work or does it have to be a band saw, i have both but it is a bit harder for me to get the band saw working, so i prefere scroll saw.

do you think a scroll saw would work or does it have to be a band saw, i have both but it is a bit harder for me to get the band saw working, so i prefere scroll saw.

Depends really on what you're trying to cut. I've found that in my exacto kit, the scalpul tip I have. So far has cut my entire shin 2 handplates and one boot and istill just as sharp as i started. Hot knife is great too you can get those at hobbyshops.
Saws just really make alot of dust and and a big mess imo, now an electric knife, like a kitchenaid handheld meat carver, works great!
Cuts the foam like meat with almost 0 mess.

Hope this was helpful to ya bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back