Foam armour help ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelepone

Ok so I finished my war machine shoulder bell, forearm and bicep using a set of 10mm EVA foam boards. However, when I spread PVA over them to be painted, I had to spread 5 layers of undiluted glue for it to soak in. Is this normal? Since I just ran out of 10mm EVA foam boards, I'm considering changing to smaller thickness EVA foam, but I'm afraid the change will cause the other arm set to look awkwardly small due to the sudden thickness change.

Also, I finished a war machine vest and back set using the fiberglass method earlier on before switching to building the armor with foam later on. Is it possible to use the fiberglass vest and back together with the foam armour? I dont want to have wasted my time and money on the fiberglassed pieces.

my understanding is that it takes several coats to get the foam sealed, never done it myself but all the videos I've watched on the subjuect confirm this. I wouldn't change thickness of foam mid build, or like you said you will get an awkward size difference. As for mix and match between fiberglassed parts and foam parts, why not? If it fits wear it.

I recommend using Plasti-Dip. All you need is two light coat. Don't spray to thick or it will start melting the foam.

And as for having fiberglass and foam pieces together, a lot of people use this method. The foam creates a barrier between the wearer and the hard fiberglass piece, which makes wearing armor much comfortable.

Here is a video I posted on painting EVA foam.

Last edited by a moderator:
I try spray paint directly on foam and it worked fine but you need to heat seal your foam really good before paint and use automotive spray paint. Here are the pictures of my stuffs after 2 days convention and I was wearing it for 6 hour each day. One thing that I don't know how long the paint will stay on.
e7b96b6d.jpg

bde42ee5.jpg

I try spray paint directly on foam and it worked fine but you need to heat seal your foam really good before paint and use automotive spray paint. Here are the pictures of my stuffs after 2 days convention and I was wearing it for 6 hour each day. One thing that I don't know how long the paint will stay on.
e7b96b6d.jpg

bde42ee5.jpg
Hahah ur space marine armour is fking awesome... unfortunately I dont have heat sealing... lol.

Hair dryer might do the trick or put a few layers of modpodge on before you paint will work too. As for the thickness of foam you should stay with the same size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back