foam brush for fiberglass/resin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rocknrollcows said:
hey, i just finished up peping my suit. i was wondering if useing foam brushes were ok?
i read somewhere it was better.

They're great until the resin begins to set.
Then....well...they're not so great. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a whole bunch of cheapo brushes.. I went through does real quick after they got stiff. Probably about 7 or 8 of them..

I get 2 uses out of a foam brush when resining, I reccomend them, then use regular paintbrushes with hairs for painting on the silver.

what he said.

look for them at the local dollar store.

i got a pack of 10 or so for a dollar.
they start falling apart after one round of resin (sponge bits everywhere) so use a new one. you can afford it. and it's not fun having concrete hard sponge bits on your armor.

When I first started out fiberglassing, I used a foam brush. The resin actually ate the foam part right off the brush and I was left holding a stick o_O

Rockandrollcows,

I use cheap brushes myself and to prolong it just a bit longer, I soaked the brush with acetone after use. Mind you, you'll have to soak it and clean it off with a rag. That means straight after use, keep 'washing' it in a small container and drying/cleaning' it off with a rag. It'll keep the bristles soft enough for reuse again.

Point to note, DO NOT leave it in the acetone container as it will harden up. Trust me, I made that mistake and had a nice brush sculpture after. :)

Hope this helps...if you need more info, LMK.

Stay safe,

Tim.

I use a cheap bristol brush for coated the first layer or two, works great. Then, I use fiberglass jelly and apply by hand using latex gloves, this way you can sculpt the piece alil more will less waste and sanding.

Bondo is evil......

DoC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back