Foam build, but with plastic sheets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pescadero

After a long break from my Marine build I started my long planned ODST armor first

As a base I use the amazing Andrew DFT templates und tutorials but without Eva. I build it with 3 mm plastic sheets. These are easy to handle. You can cut them with hobby cutters and they are thermo active.

I started with the shoulders (don't ask why... Just for a test I think )

I cut the sheets just like in Andrews tutorials with the templates (they are worth it!). Then I cut nearly 45 ° on the parts that I want to bend, heat them up and bend it.

full

full

Glued the edges with super glue and use filler on it.

full

The lines I cut ca. 1mm with a cutter, heat them up a little and draw them deeper with a screwdriver.

full

For some edges I use a Dremel

full

That is a very interesting material to be using. It is hard to judge at this point since you are starting with the shoulders but, how is the weight of the material? Does the plastic sheet come in different thickness? You mentioned that a box cutter can be used to cut, how easy are the cuts? Does it dull blades as much as foam does?
The most important question is.... were did you get this material???
Sorry for all the questions but, this is a material I am interested to try. Maybe make a prob weapon with it.

That is a very interesting material to be using. It is hard to judge at this point since you are starting with the shoulders but, how is the weight of the material? Does the plastic sheet come in different thickness? You mentioned that a box cutter can be used to cut, how easy are the cuts? Does it dull blades as much as foam does?
Sorry for all the questions but, this is a material I am interested to try. Maybe make a prob weapon with it.

You can get it here in every Hardware store but only in 3 mm. If you need thickness you have to order it online (I some spare material in 10 mm from a friend so I can use them for thicker things on chest plate).
In Germany its called "Hartschaumplastik", technically its PVC.
It does dull blades but it take way longer than foam (think I need 1 blade for complete armor )

I used it often before. With 10 mm sheets (and 1-3 mm for details ) you can build easy weapons. With dremel you can really smooth edges and round them.

Not sorry, I'm happy if I can help

If it is PVC you gotta be careful about heating it. It can release some really bad gas because well the C in in PVC is Chloride.

But the material is great to use and if you're concerned about weight there is a version of PVC is expanded and is kinda similar to foam board, except its just expanded PVC.

The build looks very promising so far! Keep us updated!

At a plastics supplier in Canada look for either "PVC sheeting" or "Styrene". Sintra could also fit the bill but based on the photos that Pescadero posted I'd rule that one out because of the surface texture.

At Industrial Plastics and Paints which is local to me they have this stuff in large sheets all the way up to 4'x8' but you can get larger if you put in special orders.

If it is PVC you gotta be careful about heating it. It can release some really bad gas because well the C in in PVC is Chloride.

But the material is great to use and if you're concerned about weight there is a version of PVC is expanded and is kinda similar to foam board, except its just expanded PVC.

The build looks very promising so far! Keep us updated!

I cant find any warnings on this product. Perhaps it is another one?
You don't need to heat it up very much. Do it carefully or it will deform (is it the correct wird?)
Yes its expanded.

I will update you untill the bitter end on this ...

Sad I
At a plastics supplier in Canada look for either "PVC sheeting" or "Styrene". Sintra could also fit the bill but based on the photos that Pescadero posted I'd rule that one out because of the surface texture.

At Industrial Plastics and Paints which is local to me they have this stuff in large sheets all the way up to 4'x8' but you can get larger if you put in special orders.

Sad but I can't find a good technical sheet and only in german. But I keep my eyes open to inform you.

This methode is really easy and fast. I love it...

Yes, I know, the upper part comes inside. Perhaps I have to separate it or build a new one...

full

This one and half of the second one for now....

Holy crap, I love how this is turning out! I can't wait to see you make more progress on this build especially with the painting and weathering.

The sintra sheet gives it a harder look with more defined edges than I've seen of some foam builds, and it looks like it's easier to finish and paint as well. If you can, it might be worth it to look at some other glues or adhesives in the future, especially for some of us who live where it's a bit hotter. Maybe a resin would work? Hot glue has a tendency of melting when exposed to the heat, and I'm not 100% confident in how it sticks to sintra from experience with my Mandalorian armor. How do you plan on handling the under suit?

Edit: I forgot to mention, this is also a lot cheaper than foam as well. You can get 4x8 foot sheets of this stuff from Home Depot or Lowes for $20.

Last edited:
Holy crap, I love how this is turning out! I can't wait to see you make more progress on this build especially with the painting and weathering.

The sintra sheet gives it a harder look with more defined edges than I've seen of some foam builds, and it looks like it's easier to finish and paint as well. If you can, it might be worth it to look at some other glues or adhesives in the future, especially for some of us who live where it's a bit hotter. Maybe a resin would work? Hot glue has a tendency of melting when exposed to the heat, and I'm not 100% confident in how it sticks to sintra from experience with my Mandalorian armor. How do you plan on handling the under suit?

Edit: I forgot to mention, this is also a lot cheaper than foam as well. You can get 4x8 foot sheets of this stuff from Home Depot or Lowes for $20.

Thanks a lot
I use at moment super glue, contact cement and hot glue. But I think about an glasfibre and resin from the inside to strengthen the glued edges.
You have right, hot glue and sun heat are not good friends. I was at Comic Con in Tunisia (btw it was a amazing feeling and atmosphere there...) and I had fear that all of my costume falls down hot glue is fast and easy to use, but can cause this problems. Best is use it for first glue to work on further and give it strength later.

For undersuit I have black tactical shirt and trousers. Maybe later I go for a better undersuit.

It is really cheaper. For the whole armor (without helmet) I need perhaps 3,5 sheets I guess. Thats only 42€ for the armor, without strapping and paint. Sounds good to me

Thanks a lot
I use at moment super glue, contact cement and hot glue. But I think about an glasfibre and resin from the inside to strengthen the glued edges.
You have right, hot glue and sun heat are not good friends. I was at Comic Con in Tunisia (btw it was a amazing feeling and atmosphere there...) and I had fear that all of my costume falls down hot glue is fast and easy to use, but can cause this problems. Best is use it for first glue to work on further and give it strength later.

For undersuit I have black tactical shirt and trousers. Maybe later I go for a better undersuit.

It is really cheaper. For the whole armor (without helmet) I need perhaps 3,5 sheets I guess. Thats only 42€ for the armor, without strapping and paint. Sounds good to me

This price point puts delightfully terrible ides ain my head for my next build. You guys are all bad influences and my wallet curses you.

Also, it uses the same exact tools as foam building. I haven't attempted something more complex like this with sintra, but it's really easy to work with and uses the same tools. Heat gun, utility knife, etc. I'm having a hard time choosing not to do this for my next build, or at least parts of it. I already have the stuff taking up space in my garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back