foam helmet suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmseneki

Hi guys , well i bought today craft foam , eva foam (thicker one ) plasti dip, krylon paint, cardstock and cutting tools such as x acto knife and blades and finally the heatgun. Also the glue gun and glue sticks too lol. The problem here is that where i live is like a 2 hour drive to find bondo or resin, and as i read in some forums its quite messy and expensixe and toxic. So ive decides i wanted to give foam a shot because i saw RoxyRoos gungnir helmet and as i was reading it was made out of foam. It didnt look like foam at all , i was shocked that it was made with that instead of pep. So thats what motivated me to do a helmet out of foam, and i know shes like a pro at that but i want to try with a helmet that is not complicated like halo helmets. Something more less complex, like something not so circular and with lots of curves. A helmet that can be done straight forward, i have a few that look foam friendly but i wanted to know what you guys think. I will post some names of the helmets i got and based on your foam experience you guys choose and i start to build . I dont want to get to armor yet since i am new to foam so thats why i want to start with the helmet since its the most annoying and dificult part. Ok here are some helmets i got that are foam friendly.

300 leonidas spartan helmet

tmnt 1990 shredders movie helmet

army of two salem mask ( the one that looks more like salem because theres two ) either way their easy but ones more game accurate than the other one

gladiator maximus helmet ( only problem are the spikes on top of the helmet ,not sure how am i going to do that if this helmet is chosen by you guys.

hellboy kronens mask

Thats youst about it. Atleast for me they look foam friendly. Let me know guys so i can have the hang of it and once i complete atleast 2 difrent foam friendly helmets, i wanna try with a reach carter helmet or reach pilot helmet, not sure but one of them will be made. But forn now i want to go with something "simple". I understand that a foam helmet will never look as awesomely detailed like pep but ive seen foam helmets that really kick butt. I think if i get the hang of it and keep trying , i will pull it off. So yeah guys let me know or if you have a difrent helmet in mind that would be more simple then the ones i said here then feel free to say wich one. I might have it in my collection lol. Also if i choose one helmet that i paid for the file, please dont ask me to give it to you, what i can do is put the link and name of the person i bought it from since they desearve major credit for making them and i know its hard work and they desearve the money so be gratefull you got halo helmets and armor for free. I will let you know if the helmet you guys choose or i end up choosing is for free or paid so i dont get my inbox full of msjs asking for paid pep files.

Emmsy

I would suggest Leonidas 300 Spartan Helmet. The reason behind this choice is, to me, that it seems the simplest out of that list. Also it's a helmet that consists of all the aspects of using foam, for example it has curves, cuts, and making templates out of cardboard or cardstock should be simple, if you plan on using homemade templates. Also if you can afford it, look into getting a Soldering Pen, most automtoive or craft shops have them. Its alot easier to cut with and less messy then Xacto knives.

I would suggest Leonidas 300 Spartan Helmet. The reason behind this choice is, to me, that it seems the simplest out of that list. Also it's a helmet that consists of all the aspects of using foam, for example it has curves, cuts, and making templates out of cardboard or cardstock should be simple, if you plan on using homemade templates. Also if you can afford it, look into getting a Soldering Pen, most automtoive or craft shops have them. Its alot easier to cut with and less messy then Xacto knives.

When you say "soldering pen", are you talking about the same type of soldering pen used to solder wires and connections? Or is there another specifically for craft that your talking about?

When you say "soldering pen", are you talking about the same type of soldering pen used to solder wires and connections? Or is there another specifically for craft that your talking about?

Some soldering irons allow you to remove the nib and put in a blade. They have a screw on the side of the nib holder. I bought one that appeared you could do this but the nib was connected inside by a wire so when I pulled it out I basically broke the soldering iron. Thankfully it was a really cheap one.
You can also get hot knives or wood burning tools that do the same. The wood burning tools come with various attachments so you can not only cut foam with them but also burn in detailing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back