Foam ODST Build *HELP ME*

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRansom

Ok, I am fresh off my first half decent helmet (operator) and then I stumbled across the foam method. I have thus far built only the odst chest for myself, and a Recon chest from H3 for my little brother. Here I am, ready to continue the suit, when I realized that I am feeling pretty crappy about the foam method, because I feel like it looks horrid. However, I do not have the money to fiberglass and bondo anything. This is especially true of the helmet. Should I try and foam build all the little details (im doing recon by the way) or pep it? And If I do pep it, can I harden the inside with great stuff and then cut/sand that down later?
Sorry for the long paragraph. Basic breakdown-
-What thickness of foam?
-Is a helmet worth attempting with foam?
-Can great stuff be used as a cheap resin alternative?
Thanks in advance.
By the way, here is the chest for my ODST build:
DSCN4490.jpg
[/IMG]

It depends on you if you want to make a helmet out of foam I made the Reach Recon out of foam and have
realy enjoyed it as for faom thickness most everybody I have seen around hear use puzzle mats from lowes or
walmart

It looks like you are using an unmodified pep file. Anytime you use a pep file. Some minor alterations may be needed. Don't get discouraged. You are on the right track.

As to another method of hardening. I don't use fiberglass or resin. I use Smooth Cast. I brush on an outer layer. Then I slush cast the inside of the helmet with about 3-4 coats of Smooth cast 320. It is nice and hard when I am done.

It is a good start but it seems you did not spend time researching this method enough. There are some good tutorias to get you started. With foam you need to plan ahead. Look for my YouTube channel for a quick tutorial.

There is really no need to harden foam. If you build it correctly, it can be really strong and sturdy.

And in regards to Smoothcast, if you cannot afford resin or fiberglass you won't likely can afford Smoothcast.

Thanks for the advice- still unanswered questions----
What thickness of foam do I need?
and I know I do not have to harden foam. But If I were to build a helmet out of pepakura, could I just spray Great Stuff in there and then sand/cut it down?

Also, What do you mean by modifying the pepfile? If you mean, printing it and then making a pattern, I did that. The whole middle piece is one solid part, with the two sides being seperated. Sooo....please continue help, BTW I made the middle part (the one with the ring) probobly going to make the two side flaps tonight and tommorow. Thanks

What thickness of foam do I need?
and I know I do not have to harden foam. But If I were to build a helmet out of pepakura, could I just spray Great Stuff in there and then sand/cut it down?

Also, What do you mean by modifying the pepfile? If you mean, printing it and then making a pattern, I did that. The whole middle piece is one solid part, with the two sides being seperated. Sooo....please continue help, BTW I made the middle part (the one with the ring) probobly going to make the two side flaps tonight and tomorrow. Thanks

Most foam builds use EVA foam mats which are roughly 1/2 inches thick, but thinner foam can be used if the piece needs to be bent at a more extreme angle.

You do NOT want to use great stuff to harden a helmet. The way it expands, it expands in all directions which would cause some major problems in the helmet (i.e. bulges, warping, etc). It is possible making a helmet from foam, although it would take some careful planning to do so. You could go the traditional resin and fiberglass/rondo method or use smooth cast 320 like Drakon mentioned.

Straight pep files, usually are not too foam friendly. They may need to be modified in order to be used with foam to maximize there efficiency.

you should check out dracks foam helmet. its possible to make a foam helmet and make it look rad, but to me it seems the method is too new to have a full opinion on it. personally speaking of course. 405th.com/showthread.php/35911-MK-VI-Foam-Build

What thickness of foam do I need? Also, What do you mean by modifying the pepfile? If you mean, printing it and then making a pattern, I did that. The whole middle piece is one solid part, with the two sides being seperated. Sooo....please continue help Thanks

Help is what we are here for. Printing the pep and making a template is good. But you will need to leave out some of the pieces. And some you have to connect. The best thing I can tell you is to check out L3X's thread http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/33480-L3X-s-File-Database

Although he doesn't have an ODST he does have some EXCELLENT Reach files that he modded for foam. Use those as a guide so you can see what i am talking about. As for the thickness of the foam. Most everyone is using the 1/2in floor mats. However I have seen some other types of armor that use 6mm or 1/4in thickness that yield AMAZING results. That is what I plan on using.

And finally. You can get a trail kit of the Smooth Cast 320 for around $25. It is enough to get you 3 or 4 good size helms made. If you buy the gallon kit, that can get a bit pricey. Around $85. So I would recommend the trial kit. Just to get used to using it. Oh well I hope that helps. Looking forward to seeing your progress. :)
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/33480-L3X-s-File-Database

Thanks for the info, ill probobly do the Reach files once my ODST is done, by that time, ill have a lot more cash on hand. Then again, this is taking longer than expected. Being a junior with 3 ap classes, staying active in church, prepping for Eagle Scout award in March, playing Theseus in "A Midsummer Night's Dream", and today went to the regional forensics competition for the first time. WHEW! I am happy to still have time for costuming at all! I hope to finish the torso/back tonight, ill post pics when I am done.

The JFO looks great! I saw on the knee that you did something to round it by making an angle. Is that sanded or a cut? Thank goodness, because my bits look a bit like yours!

Here is an update on progress. I am wearing what will probably be the undersuit, along with my operator helmet. Also please note that the front is only painted gold because all the different original colors were annoying to look at.

DSCN4501.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN4500.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN4499.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN4498.jpg
[/IMG]

changed my mind- im going to do custom reach armor in lieu of odst, due 2 the predone files. thanks for the heads up Drakon. I may also have a special fully custom build as well...but atm i lack the experience. more on tht later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back