foam thickness for helmet build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie117

Hi guys , hope your doing all well. Well guys am looking for a specific thickness for helmet builds made out of foam. Some say they use 10mm others say 5mm or 6mm some use norm floor mats others use plastazote. Can somebody point me in tbe right direction on wich is the best mm to use for helmet builds??? And if someone knows an online store that sells them and actually ships to puerto rico???

The thinner it is, the easier it is to cut, and shape. 6mm sounds useful, 10mm may be too thick. It would depend on the helmet type, and also what finishing material you were going to use on it I suppose.

Thanks blue. The helmet i want to give it a shot is war machine the hd one from dubean. Is youst that bondo au aint my thing and everytime i see lil tyrants build i get motivated cause her foam helmet is pure awesome.

Not only that ive seen the dark knight rises bane mask in foam!!! Ive seen the shredder helmet am building in foam ive seen gundam helmets watever you name it on foam

Well, for a War Machine build, I would use a combination of 6mm and 10mm. The reason being, is that there are several recessed areas or raised points. Using the two thicknesses of foam will give you the illusion of depth. You can always "double layer" the thicker parts with an additional layer of 6mm if you need to. Just glue that extra layer ontop of the first, for the thicker parts. Before you begin though, I suggest you really study the model. Try to plan out the type of foams you need to complete this build before you even start cutting. It will save you a lot of frustration.

I try and use the same thickness foam, and just recess it into whatever hole needs filled. I think both my helmets were 8.. My chest is closer to 10and was more difficult to work with. Its what i have, so i will use it, but i like the thinner stuff overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back