Fox W's Iron Man Mkiii Build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxw

Jr Member
Greetings.

Well i've made enough progress that I feel confident to start a thread. Plus i have something to show.

I started on this, March 27th, with the possibly insane goal of having it ready to go for May 7th.

I've not pepped the helmet (pic attached) and will be layering on resin all day sunday.

A couple of points to note before anyone points out the obvious, no my cuts arn't the best or is the folding, I suffered nerve damage to my right arm years ago while doing electrical work, so I got a bit of a shake when I try to be steady, makes cutting a B*&#!@. Also I won't be using fiberglass As I have a very strong reaction to its fumes (even skin contact is irritating).

I do though am a user of smooth-on products to I will likely 'glass the interior then apply several coats on the outter surface which will then be sanded smooth, so the helmet will be solid yet very lightweight.

26906_421226766130_582536130_5737618_4640206_n.jpg

looks pretty dood for someone that gets shaky because of nerve damage i think your doing a great job, the 5 week thing is going to be a challenge though, i hope you get it done.

I never get tired of seeing Iron Man builds, I really love them. Finishing the suit by the 7th is indeed a daunting task but i really hope you can do it. Your helmet looks really clean as far as i can tell. Great job man

Well I just modified the pep for dungbeetle's helmet to make it not so tight. The earpieces are always to tight and if i scale it up, the rest is 2 big. So I took out the extra rims in the helmet's ears and once i get some ink 4 my printer, I'll be able to try it out. If it works out, I'll post the unfold.

Helmet looks good, great start long road ahead. ;)

Fox w said:
Also I won't be using fiberglass As I have a very strong reaction to its fumes (even skin contact is irritating).

I do though am a user of smooth-on products to I will likely 'glass the interior then apply several coats on the outter surface which will then be sanded smooth, so the helmet will be solid yet very lightweight.

Yep same with me, I can't stand working with fiberglass. But it's cheap and easy, if you use the right gear you don't even come into contact with either the material or fumes. :) I react really bad to it, arms will swell and bleed if I'm not careful.

Just so you know it will not be any lighter and will not be quit as strong with the smooth-on products. I know I've test it out, it's fine for this but no lighter and not as strong. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
really Fin? My last costume (storm trooper) was done With smooth-on And lasted like 10 years of paintball. I've never had issues with tensile strength, granted I also use specific SO resins Designed to be used to cast production parts, the usual common SO 300 yeah, that stuff doesn't have the highest tensile strength, course it's also like 1/2 the price of the stuff i use so. but to be honest, I'm not overly worried about the strength, then at this kind of thickness Should stand up to the few wearings it'll see. no paint ball for this costume.

But I am curious Fin, Would you happen to have a hand & foot peps, as those the only files i've not yet seen (and i've gone thru carnages and supes's threads)

Never said it wasn't strong just not as strong as Glass, and way more $$. But whatever floats your boat. :)

Both of those files are in the threads you refer to. Boot files in the Cammillo files and the had file is in Carnages thread.

Fox w said:
really Fin? My last costume (storm trooper) was done With smooth-on And lasted like 10 years of paintball. I've never had issues with tensile strength, granted I also use specific SO resins Designed to be used to cast production parts, the usual common SO 300 yeah, that stuff doesn't have the highest tensile strength, course it's also like 1/2 the price of the stuff i use so. but to be honest, I'm not overly worried about the strength, then at this kind of thickness Should stand up to the few wearings it'll see. no paint ball for this costume.

But I am curious Fin, Would you happen to have a hand & foot peps, as those the only files i've not yet seen (and i've gone thru carnages and supes's threads)

sorry Fin, I must of Mis-read what you ment. and mmm I have the Cammillo file but well, it's dreadfull, it's workable but it's basically just a block.

and yeah, the high tensile stuff is pricier then "glass" but i have a stock pile of it as my "night" job is making replacement parts for toys and other stuff (from doorknobs to you bascially name it), so i have a stockpile of it that's already basically been paid for (ie bought, used enough to pay for it).

But thanks, I'll go double check Carnages thread

Fox w said:
sorry Fin, I must of Mis-read what you ment. and mmm I have the Cammillo file but well, it's dreadfull, it's workable but it's basically just a block.

and yeah, the high tensile stuff is pricier then "glass" but i have a stock pile of it as my "night" job is making replacement parts for toys and other stuff (from doorknobs to you bascially name it), so i have a stockpile of it that's already basically been paid for (ie bought, used enough to pay for it).

But thanks, I'll go double check Carnages thread

Well if you don't like the Cammillo boots I can't help ya out. :) The ones I'm doing are the Cammillo, posted what they look like peped and primed in my thread. They should be molded and cast hopefully by next weekend along with my helmet, just picked up all the supplies today. :)

I'll make sure to take a look. I just find them well, very simple and basic.

but that's okay, found that carnage as uploaded some med def boots, yay

Yes, i'm not only crazy to try n finish this in 5 weeks, but i'm also going for accuracy.

Fox w said:
I'll make sure to take a look. I just find them well, very simple and basic.

but that's okay, found that carnage as uploaded some med def boots, yay

Yes, i'm not only crazy to try n finish this in 5 weeks, but i'm also going for accuracy.

That's great, I hope you can do it. :) But you should know the Med Feet are almost exact to the cammillo files once build but they are hard to scale proper as the rest of the files are. :)

Hey, thanks for the heads up Fin. It's nice to know people still care :D

Seriously though, yeah I noticed they are still fairly similar with the cam files. (it's feet, only so much you can do really with shape).

Well I resined up the head, gave it a layer of primer just to look for warping, nothing major. Closest issue that might be a issue is while scaled right, (fits like a dream), unlike you Fin, I'm using dung beetles original helmet file, so the neck cap at the back with the ears is driving me nuts on how to deal with it.

I'm thinking as i don't have time to rebuild using the new DB helmet, that I might set it up that the ears and neck plates will be 1 piece. with a strap that sits on my head and a latch on the back.

reason: you put on the neck guard first, then slip the rest on, hooking it onto the guard, so the 2 parts don't shift from movement.

any thoughts on this?

Also recent shot in post 1 update

ps. Fin, thankfully scaling is something i'm used too between anime costumes of mecha ie gundams and TF's and building my own toys from scratch, it's something i've gotten used to over the years, thank god. plus ratios were the one thing i paid attention to in class outside algebra. And who says we'd ever use what we learned in HS match class :D (granted it's more true to say what would be still remember of it 10-20 years later)

"unlike you Fin, I'm using dung beetles original helmet file"

Finhead did use DB's original helmet file, so this statement should be "LIKE you fin, I'm using dung beetles original helmet file"

Progress looks good though buddy. As for rebuilding using the new helmet, i'd say dont bother. The older helmet IMO is much more accurate and looks better.

Also, Having the ears connected to your neck piece would greatly restrict the movement of your head. The helmet would move while the ears part would not, resulting in a strange looking motion. You also wouldn't be able to lean your head back.. And tilting your head forward would result in a separation of the ears from the main body of the helmet. I think your best bet is to attach the ear piece with a set of high powered magnets so that the piece just clips in nice and flush with the rest of the helmet.

Yes like Dub said I used Dungs first more accurate helmet, you can easily tell by the eye's. ;) I just added what I need and took out what I wanted as well.

As far as scaling goes, that's great I never said you couldn't scale. ;) What I said was the boot file from Carnage will fit odd because like most of the model once you scale it to fit in length it's too skinny. Or if you get the width right it's way big, nothing to do with scaling just not made to ware really. So you'll have to modify it after you build it or before you cut it out, nothing to do with being able to scale it. Just wanted to give you heads up on that is all.

Fin: lol okay sorry, yeah got to be that edmi accent vs my ontario one lol, that is TOTALLY not what i read from your post.

Okay knowing what that issue is, i'll prolly pop it into my 3d program, Fix those issues before peping it.

and yeah, sorry, just the back screams Dungs new version, though you two are right, the original IS more accurate.

DUb: lol ya, I didn't explain myself well. I ment the ears part, and as so far, i've Yet to find a source locally of the magnets (the one place that did sell em went under), so trying to figure out a way it can "clip" in and be solid, but easy to remove to get it off.

And to both of you guys, I REALLY appriciate the comments and any all critiques, comments, hints are welcome. This my first time working with pep so (it didn't exist 15 yrs ago in my world view so i had to do it all the hard way)

Fox w said:
Fin: lol okay sorry, yeah got to be that edmi accent vs my ontario one lol, that is TOTALLY not what i read from your post.

Okay knowing what that issue is, i'll prolly pop it into my 3d program, Fix those issues before peping it.

and yeah, sorry, just the back screams Dungs new version, though you two are right, the original IS more accurate.

DUb: lol ya, I didn't explain myself well. I ment the ears part, and as so far, i've Yet to find a source locally of the magnets (the one place that did sell em went under), so trying to figure out a way it can "clip" in and be solid, but easy to remove to get it off.

And to both of you guys, I REALLY appriciate the comments and any all critiques, comments, hints are welcome. This my first time working with pep so (it didn't exist 15 yrs ago in my world view so i had to do it all the hard way)

Yeah my first build for any kind of prop/armor as well, never even heard the word pep till a month and a half ago. :)

Is there a Lee Valley close to you? If there is then that's your ticket. ;)

thanks fellas.

Fin: fraid not, Lee Vally never migrated to ontario as no listings for em.

Dub: thanks for the link brother.

lol, why why the heck didn't that come up when i tried to google Lee valley, Yeah TO is still in Ontario, least till they declare themselves their own province lol.

thanks dude. alas I'm sorta locked to in town which don't help much, less you can order n ship from that site, i'll have to look into it, thanks

okay ya can get it off the site, but by ground only meaning depending where it's coming from.. prolly Won't get it in time.

Maybe i can find someone with one local who could get the 50 i need and just express em (all on my dime of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back