Fred 104 build

Wait im a bit confused how you got the texture. You heated the foam, then pressed the texture in manually with like a piece of metal or something? Or did you have a hex grid that you could press it all at the same time. That is quite interesting

Wait im a bit confused how you got the texture. You heated the foam, then pressed the texture in manually with like a piece of metal or something? Or did you have a hex grid that you could press it all at the same time. That is quite interesting
So, I found this honeycomb organizer, shrunk, copied, and overlapped it to make it bigger. Heated the foam, then pressed this on. Could have used more pressure to make the hex more pronounced, but I think it’s good enough.

IMG_0027.jpegIMG_0028.jpegIMG_0029.jpeg

Supposed to be doing some painting this weekend, so I wanted to start on the helmet headset mod that CrimsonViper97 made an awesome write up on beforehand. I would link it, but I don’t know how lol. It was stressful putting holes in the helmet I spent so much time on, but it will be worth it. I used the black grates from over the external mics to keep the look clean. Extended a few wires, and added disconnects to the ear pieces for those just incase situations. I’ll get it installed after I get it painted.
IMG_0026.jpegIMG_0031.jpegIMG_0034.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpeg
    IMG_0026.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 24
So, I found this honeycomb organizer, shrunk, copied, and overlapped it to make it bigger. Heated the foam, then pressed this on. Could have used more pressure to make the hex more pronounced, but I think it’s good enough.
This is super smart. I'll have to remember this when I go to build a gen2 spartan.

View attachment 345795View attachment 345796View attachment 345797

Supposed to be doing some painting this weekend, so I wanted to start on the helmet headset mod that CrimsonViper97 made an awesome write up on beforehand. I would link it, but I don’t know how lol. It was stressful putting holes in the helmet I spent so much time on, but it will be worth it. I used the black grates from over the external mics to keep the look clean. Extended a few wires, and added disconnects to the ear pieces for those just incase situations. I’ll get it installed after I get it painted.
View attachment 345798View attachment 345799View attachment 345800
Ahhhh I see now. Very clever how you got the texture
The hearing system is game changer! I absolutely LOVE mine (I followed that same tutorial) and I would never go back to not having hearing assist

Undersuit/muscles made! I still have to attach them to the skin suit, but man oh man, I am loving how these turned out. I’ll add the magnets to them and the skin suit tomorrow.
IMG_0056.jpeg
IMG_0057.jpeg
IMG_0058.jpeg
IMG_0059.jpeg

Update! It’s the next day. Well, technically the same but this post was started a 1am, but whatever. Got the base coat of blue laid down at my friends shop today. It’s looking so good. Have to adult a bit, but will hopefully have time to do some masking for the extra colors tonight.

IMG_0065.jpeg
IMG_0071.jpeg
IMG_0074.jpeg
IMG_0078.jpeg
IMG_0080.jpeg
IMG_0081.jpeg
IMG_0075.jpeg
IMG_0062.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0062.jpeg
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0064.jpeg
    IMG_0064.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0063.jpeg
    IMG_0063.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0061.jpeg
    IMG_0061.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0079.jpeg
    IMG_0079.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
That paint job looks fantastic!

Are you planning on trying to bring this build to C2E2?

Also another side note, are those bluetech glasses?

That paint job looks fantastic!

Are you planning on trying to bring this build to C2E2?

Also another side note, are those bluetech glasses?
I am pushing hard to have it done for C2E2, yeah, I should be done in time. I keep remembering extra things that need to be done, but I am staying positive with it. Yes, they are blue light filter, Prizm Gaming lenses from Oakley.

I am probably going to re do the neck seal in fabric for flexibility and breathability, sewing skills are questionable though, so who knows how that will turn out.

I cant remember if I said it before, but I'm digging the new paint scheme on your MKVII too JTF4

Man, I am fairly concerned. Our test pieces that we painted passed the flex test with no issue, but i just flexed one of the hips and it cracked when flexed out, and wrinkled when flexed in. it looks like surface cracks, and they are fairly small. Just bummed i guess. I'm still going to finish it, and wear it, just not sure how it’s going to hold up. And maybe I’m just being hyper critical and paranoid. Who knows!

IMG_0107.jpeg
IMG_0108.jpeg

I think I want to make my neck seal from fabric. Yaya Han has a sweet hex pattern fabric, but it appears to be sold out everywhere, so I’ll probably do just black and try to add some details.

Dude, don't worry about cracks like that. They won't take away from the look of your armour at all. You may notice them, but other's wont. My armour is absolutely covered in wrinkles and cracks just like that. They don't show up in photos, and you can't see them in person unless you're a few feet from the armour and actively looking for them. Especially with a but of weathering they'll be completely invisible.

Dude, don't worry about cracks like that. They won't take away from the look of your armour at all. You may notice them, but other's wont. My armour is absolutely covered in wrinkles and cracks just like that. They don't show up in photos, and you can't see them in person unless you're a few feet from the armour and actively looking for them. Especially with a but of weathering they'll be completely invisible.
Its funny, because this is what I normally tell people too. It was just crushing to have it seem to fail. I'm sure it will be OK, and I am still pressing on.

Oooooooohhhhh baby, I can’t put into words how stoked I am with how the helmet turned out. Lots of tape was harmed in the making of this paint job. Pulled paint off in a few small spots, but I’ll just weather them, and nobody will know. Still need to add a few small things, but couldn’t wait to post it. Got the thighs done too. Have to clean up a bit from when the paint bled past the tape I started with, but shouldn’t be hard. I had to do the same thing with the helmet.
IMG_0128.jpeg
IMG_0126.jpeg
IMG_0127.jpeg

My bad... posted late onto this and was still reading the section about you abb piece LOL. This build is looking amazing mate and I wouldn't stress to much about the cracks. I feel your pain as this happened to me, but like N8TEBB said, fans will hardly notice it when the see your overall progress.

Now for my abb piece advice, I'd suggest attaching it with buckles and nylon webbing, then u can clipped it in to the suit without anyone seeing the buckles. And it will make movement and transport easier, especially if you make the straps long enough to adjust them.

Last edited:
This is looking fantastic. Don't fret about the cracks - they won't be visible to anyone more than a couple of feet away, and they're not drawing attention to themselves.

Paranoid about using clear coat on the helmet before weathering. I don’t know how to go about it without dulling the metallic, but I’m also scared of pulling paint off during weathering. Soooo, I decided to pull some visors. First one I made I did a single run in orange, so it’s still fairly light. Realized recently that Fred’s visor is way more of a gold than the orange gold of chief. That’s why I pulled another one, I’ll do them both with yellow dye and see how the slight bit of orange affects it. But, turns out I do t have yellow dye, so it will wait till tomorrow ish. Other buck was for my MKIV
IMG_0137.jpeg
IMG_0138.jpeg

Adulting got in the way of any real progress, but made some visors. I might try air brushing a hex pattern on the outsides too. Haven’t decided yet. I think I like the bottom one better, but can’t decide. It was one I started to dye orange a while back, and changed my mind. Both went through the yellow dye twice, then spaz stix mirror chrome. Still a lot of stuff to do. Gloves, finish painting, weathering, install helmet electronics, pad and fit helmet, figure strapping/attachment points, fix my DMR.
IMG_0145.jpeg

Adulting got in the way of any real progress, but made some visors. I might try air brushing a hex pattern on the outsides too. Haven’t decided yet. I think I like the bottom one better, but can’t decide. It was one I started to dye orange a while back, and changed my mind. Both went through the yellow dye twice, then spaz stix mirror chrome. Still a lot of stuff to do. Gloves, finish painting, weathering, install helmet electronics, pad and fit helmet, figure strapping/attachment points, fix my DMR.
There are some shots where it's more a cool yellow (top) but it's dependent on lighting. Personally I like it with a little more orange and I think it'll pop more against the teal/light blues of your armor.

Had a bit of paint bleed past the tape on a few pieces. Got what I could cleaned up, but I’ll hide my crimes with weathering. All in all, I love how all of this turned out. Still need to weather, but worst case I’ll just be a shiney. Grinding away to be done in time for C2E2. I leave Thursday… lots more tape was harmed in the making of this paint job
IMG_0154.jpeg
IMG_0155.jpeg
IMG_0157.jpeg
IMG_0156.jpeg
IMG_0158.jpeg
IMG_0159.jpeg
IMG_0160.jpeg
IMG_0161.jpeg
IMG_0162.jpeg
IMG_0163.jpeg
IMG_0164.jpeg
IMG_0165.jpeg
IMG_0166.jpeg
IMG_0167.jpeg
IMG_0168.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back