Fred 104 build

Jocko03

I have been on and off working on this build for a while, but ramping back up. Hoping posting on here and some stuff on social media will keep me moving forward on it. I’ll try to keep it pic heavy. Helmet is 3d printed, rest of the suit will be foam.

I started with the torso. I made the thruster pack removable and attach with magnets. I have the shins 90% done, boots are started and will be attached to these ridiculous jimmy buffet boat shoes that I found, and I started one of the thighs. This is where I lost steam. Like for 10 months I didn’t do anything. Took a while to find a good printable helmet file, but ended up purchasing a file from Rogue Workshop.

I split the helmet in half in mesh mixer, sliced it, and away we go. Easy peasy right? Nope. First run on the front, I had 2 layer shifts which also caused massive support failure. I figured I would let it play out, and it ended up printing fine. I split it at the shifts and re glued, problem solved. Connect the front and back, and shifts at the last second before the glue cures, so now I have a ridge to deal with. Sand, fill, prime, sand, fill, prime. Got the helmet looking good. Time for some paint! I get my silver base layer on, and forget to move it off my janky pvc stand. The stand blew over and broke it to pieces. New breaks, not on the layer shifts or original seam. I got real frustrated but I added some alignment holes and reprinted it. Everything lined up very nicely and didn’t shift now. I PLA welded it from the inside, then started the sand, prime, fill loop again. I now have my base coat of silver done and the hunt for the best color begins.

I bought a bunch of blues and teals to test out on the broken helmet. I tried to learn to airbrush, but clogged it and have to figure out how to get it all the way apart to fully clean it. So, I decided to test them ye olde fashioned way with a paint brush. I numbered the paint caps, and the painted spots on the helmet so I can tell them apart. I think 1, 2, or 7 but wouldn’t mind some input.
IMG_7143.jpeg
IMG_7144.jpeg
IMG_8477.jpeg
IMG_8789.jpeg
IMG_8787.jpeg
IMG_8790.jpeg
IMG_8788.jpeg
IMG_8786.jpeg
IMG_8532.jpeg
IMG_8539.jpeg
IMG_8541.jpeg
IMG_8538.jpeg
IMG_8599.jpeg
IMG_8601.jpeg
IMG_8602.jpeg
IMG_8604.jpeg
IMG_8605.jpeg
IMG_8606.jpeg
IMG_8782.jpeg
IMG_8783.jpeg
IMG_8784.jpeg
IMG_8785.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8777.jpeg
    IMG_8777.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 55
I have been on and off working on this build for a while, but ramping back up. Hoping posting on here and some stuff on social media will keep me moving forward on it. I’ll try to keep it pic heavy. Helmet is 3d printed, rest of the suit will be foam.

I started with the torso. I made the thruster pack removable and attach with magnets. I have the shins 90% done, boots are started and will be attached to these ridiculous jimmy buffet boat shoes that I found, and I started one of the thighs. This is where I lost steam. Like for 10 months I didn’t do anything. Took a while to find a good printable helmet file, but ended up purchasing a file from Rogue Workshop.

I split the helmet in half in mesh mixer, sliced it, and away we go. Easy peasy right? Nope. First run on the front, I had 2 layer shifts which also caused massive support failure. I figured I would let it play out, and it ended up printing fine. I split it at the shifts and re glued, problem solved. Connect the front and back, and shifts at the last second before the glue cures, so now I have a ridge to deal with. Sand, fill, prime, sand, fill, prime. Got the helmet looking good. Time for some paint! I get my silver base layer on, and forget to move it off my janky pvc stand. The stand blew over and broke it to pieces. New breaks, not on the layer shifts or original seam. I got real frustrated but I added some alignment holes and reprinted it. Everything lined up very nicely and didn’t shift now. I PLA welded it from the inside, then started the sand, prime, fill loop again. I now have my base coat of silver done and the hunt for the best color begins.

I bought a bunch of blues and teals to test out on the broken helmet. I tried to learn to airbrush, but clogged it and have to figure out how to get it all the way apart to fully clean it. So, I decided to test them ye olde fashioned way with a paint brush. I numbered the paint caps, and the painted spots on the helmet so I can tell them apart. I think 1, 2, or 7 but wouldn’t mind some input. View attachment 336758View attachment 336759View attachment 336760View attachment 336761View attachment 336762View attachment 336763View attachment 336764View attachment 336765View attachment 336766View attachment 336767View attachment 336768View attachment 336769View attachment 336770View attachment 336771View attachment 336772View attachment 336773View attachment 336774View attachment 336775View attachment 336777View attachment 336778View attachment 336779View attachment 336780
Everything looks incredible! Kudos on repairing the helmet. It looks seamless; can’t even tell there were printing issues.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Everything looks incredible! Kudos on repairing the helmet. It looks seamless; can’t even tell there were printing issues.

Looking forward to seeing more.
Thanks, it definitely made it a harder hit when all that work went down the drain when it fell. But it will still serve a purpose

looks GREAT so far!! Really phenomenal foam work!
Can you post a picture of paint test 1 2 and 7 along with a reference picture to help me compare?

It has been slow going due to work and helping the kids with their Halloween costumes. Also, my project ADD doesn’t help, but here we go. My printed DMR was coming along great, but one of my kids knocker it over and snapped the barrel. Epoxying a steel rod in tonight, then I’ll be back on that. Printed my visor buck and got the first sanding run done. I’ll filler primer it tomorrow. And I got my spine started. I tried to figure out how to use the under suit files I found in the armory, but not having any luck. So I’ll make what I can find files for. Trying to stay focused. Thanks for looking
IMG_8909.jpeg
IMG_8908.jpeg
IMG_8911.jpeg

This looks awesome and the DMR looks great! I wish you luck and I’m really curious. How are you exactly building the spine? Is it just going to be foam with faux leather? Or is it just going to be foam? I’m really just curious what process you are going through with that.

Update, kinda. Life has exploded, but I finished the DMR and did some vac formed visors. Have to dye Fred’s more than I did, then I will try my hand at spray chroming them. Megacon got me really ready to dive back into this, and though my time is way more limited than it was, that’s what late nights are for. Also, sadly, the DMR got a bit thrashed, but should be fixable.
IMG_9352.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9355.jpeg
    IMG_9355.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9348.jpeg
    IMG_9348.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
This looks awesome and the DMR looks great! I wish you luck and I’m really curious. How are you exactly building the spine? Is it just going to be foam with faux leather? Or is it just going to be foam? I’m really just curious what process you are going through with that.
Not too sure, trying to figure the best way to do the undersuit in general. When I open the files I have they look like a giant acid trip.

First thigh is done. Need to clean a few things up, but fairly happy with it. Made it with an inner and outer layer, and not sure if I want to do it that way again, or single outer layer only using thicker foam. Might try the second that way.
IMG_9618.jpeg

IMG_9619.jpeg
IMG_9620.jpeg
IMG_9622.jpeg

Took some pictures with it on, and I’m pretty sure I need to scale it down. Seems a bit bulky.
IMG_9627.jpeg
IMG_9628.jpeg
IMG_9630.jpeg
IMG_9631.jpeg
IMG_9632.jpeg

Also been getting ready to do the active shooting headphone install in the helmet. Spent some time trying to figure out where to put the mics and I think I’m going to try to hide them in the square recesses on each side. Also, found a strange defect in the cheek that I don’t remember, so it looks like I’ll be sanding it back down a bit.
IMG_9568.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9628.jpeg
    IMG_9628.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9627.jpeg
    IMG_9627.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 12
Well, after thinking on it over the course of the day, and looking at more reference, and the pictures I took last night, I am not thrilled with the scaling of the thigh or the shins. I kept looking at how I had it scaled in Armorsmith and thought some of the avatars proportions looked a bit large compared to me, and unfortunately somehow the measurements aren't mine. Great... I re measured and re input the correct measurements, and oh boy was it different. The larger pieces on the right were the old scale, and the smaller is the new scale. I'm bummed about having to re do the shins and thigh that I already did, but I think this will look way better with the new, hopefully correct size and will be worth it.

Screenshot 2024-02-16 230810.png
Screenshot 2024-02-16 230120.png
Screenshot 2024-02-16 230128.png
Screenshot 2024-02-16 225411.png
Screenshot 2024-02-16 230101.png

New shin sized, and made. I feel happy with the scale. I have it set up with Velcro to get in and out, but not thrilled with the gap the Velcro leaves. Might play with some magnets to see if I can tighten it up. Let me know what you think
IMG_9648.jpeg
IMG_9649.jpeg

IMG_9644.jpeg
IMG_9645.jpeg
IMG_9647.jpeg

Old next to new

IMG_9650.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9646.jpeg
    IMG_9646.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
Update, kinda. Life has exploded, but I finished the DMR and did some vac formed visors. Have to dye Fred’s more than I did, then I will try my hand at spray chroming them. Megacon got me really ready to dive back into this, and though my time is way more limited than it was, that’s what late nights are for. Also, sadly, the DMR got a bit thrashed, but should be fixable.
View attachment 341759
This really makes me want to do a DMR

AAHHHHHH I hate it when the scaling is off!!! That's the worst man.
Glad you didn't stop though and you re-made them. Foam work looks great!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back