Frozensnot's Mark VI w/ duel SMG's + MA5D (HD pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Frozensnot's Mark VI w/ duel SMG's (HD pic heavy)

That's pretty good stuff, and an impressive build for your vacuum-forming table. I'm definitely curious to see how the process moves along with your tinting, and what the results will be.

Very impressive for your first time building and using this thing. I'm looking forward to see how good they look when you're done with them.

View attachment 17400

That's pretty good stuff, and an impressive build for your vacuum-forming table. I'm definitely curious to see how the process moves along with your tinting, and what the results will be.

Very impressive for your first time building and using this thing. I'm looking forward to see how good they look when you're done with them.
Thank you! Unfortunately I have some bad news. The dye I'm using isn't tinting the plastic as well as I thought. On top of that, the two visors I tried to dye are pretty warped. There is still hope though. The dye I used was just a general powder dye. Next time I'm going to be using dye specifically for plastic and synthetic materiels like "rit dye more". I should have went with the rit dye more first but this is a good learning experience. I just hope I can get it right next time or I may need to purchase more plastic to form.

Update: I just ordered some more dye but they will not arrive until next monday. I guess in the meantime I'll install the electronics in my helmet.

Attachments

• First attemp at dyeing RESIZED.jpg
    First attemp at dyeing RESIZED.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 218

It seems decently clear, it depends on how much you spray down. I remember it being too clear for me so I had to lay down a layer of frosted glass spay to diffuse the light

UPDATE TIME

A lot of testing has gone by since the last update. From my previous attempts at dyeing a visor, I used regular powder rit dye with little to no success. This time around I used Rit DyeMore with pretty decent success. I wish I had taken pictures of how good the color came out. The only bad thing that came about the dyeing process was warping the visor on accident. I was trying to find the right time to leave the visor in the dye and how hot the water should be. I found the right temperature and time only after the visor had warped.

My orange Rit DyeMore failed to arrive today for unknown reasons so I went ahead and tried a blue dye that arrived the day before. I'll have to re-order the orange dye when my final move is complete unfortunately.

One thing that did arrive in the mail I have been dying to try is Krylon Looking Glass Spray Paint. The results? It's not that bad. It provides a nice reflection but the vision isn't the greatest. I think with lighter and lesser coats, I can find a balance between good reflection and optimal vision.

DSCN1514%20RESIZED_zpsmvnnq9wv.jpg

DSCN1513%20RESIZED_zpsdf2plkmt.jpg

DSCN1515%20RESIZED_zpspwrmvorw.jpg

It's really hard to take a clear picture inside a helmet. If I were to make a comparison between the actual vision and this picture; I would say that the actual vision is a little better.

DSCN1518%20RESIZED_zpspdudqyy8.jpg

I'm not planning on using this visor since it was pretty much a test. But if push comes to shove, I may have to end up using it for the midnight release of Halo 5 and Haloween.

On another note, I have started to install the lights but I ran into a problem. I'm not exactly sure but I think one of the soldering joints has failed on me preventing to turn on the lights. It was really odd because the lights worked when I installed the lense holders and planted the wire into the helmet with hot glue. Hot glue doesn't seem like the likely perpetrator. I may end up cutting some of the joints and re-soldering the wires. Hopefully it will work. If it doesn't, I'll have to make another circuit of lights.

Anyways,
Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited by a moderator:

That blue visor looks amazing! Is that krylon glass paint semi translucent?

That blue visor looks amazing! Is that krylon glass paint semi translucent?
The can doesn't say anything about translucence but let's test that. To test that out I put my hand in the helmet and behind the visor while taking a couple of pictures with the flash on. When I take a picture with flash, the visor gives off a mirror effect.

When I shine a light straight into the visor, it is semi translucent. While it does block out some light, I was still able to see most of the outline of my hand.

So I guess it is semi translucent with a focused light. But it will work fine for a camera with their flash on.

Thanks for the info! It looks really great in your pics, so I might have to check it out for one of my next builds.

UPDATE TIME

Now that I my move is complete I can continue my build. Last night I tried out the transparent paint that Spacemeat recommended earlier in this thread. It's this stuff. The color came out nice and the mirror finish also looks good on the plastic. The only major downside is I can't hardly see anything looking through the piece of plastic. While this spray paint may look great for display purposes, it lacks in the department of visibility. Even with a light coat of the orange paint distorts the view. But hey, let's get to the pics to show what I'm talking about.

The color came out pretty nicely. It's the perfect shade of orange I wanted.
DSCN1522 HD RESIZED.jpg

DSCN1523 HD RESIZED.jpg

Now comes the fun part. This shot has the orange paint and a light coat of the mirror finish. This is the same piece of plastic that is in the helmet. The mirror finish is not nearly as heavy as the blue visor I will show in a little bit.

DSCN1531 RESIZED.jpg

This is the blue visor which was dyed and has a heavy coat of the mirror finish spray paint. Compared to the other visor, visibility from this visor is noticeably better.

DSCN1529 HD RESIZED.jpg

This is the piece of plastic with a light coat of the orange paint. While the visibility is okay, if I add a layer of mirror finish paint the visibility will decrease substantially.

DSCN1530 RESIZED.jpg

It appears that I'm back to dyeing the visors which is alright. I'll just have to order some orange dye and a large pot.

Until the next update, thanks for stopping by!

DSCN1522 HD RESIZED.jpg

DSCN1523 HD RESIZED.jpg

DSCN1531 RESIZED.jpg

DSCN1529 HD RESIZED.jpg

DSCN1530 RESIZED.jpg

That's some incredibly good work. I may have to call on you for my own visor at some point!

Thank you Chernobyl! I'd be happy to help when you get around to your visor. The visors next time around will look pretty snazzy in orange...and possibly blue :).

UPDATE TIME

My orange dye finally came in the mail yesterday and I went to work right away. Through the span of several hours which included testing out plastic and the color the dye left; I was able to come out with a pretty dang good looking visor. All that was done last night and today I put the mirror effect onto the visor. I painted the visor with small layers and came out with the right amount of mirror finish. The visibility isn't bad either. Let's get onto the photos.

I apologize if I didn't take pictures of the process of me dyeing my visors. This is the video I based my dyeing from. While I wasn't dyeing some nearly as big they were, the application remains the same. I may add how I do it if I decide on making a blue visor.

This is the color I ended up with when I mixed the brown and orange dye from rit dyemore. It was about a 1:4 ratio.

DSCN1539 RESIZED.jpg

Comparing the two visors and the colors, I'm having a hard time picking between which color I want to end up using. I still have one more visor that is untouched.

DSCN1574 RESIZED.jpg

The visibility isn't that bad. I'm overall pleased with the results considering the mirror finish paint only costed like $8. It's a great DIY kind of item to have around.

DSCN1572 RESIZED.jpg

I even took a selfie :). I haven't installed the visor yet so it was a little loose.

DSCN1569 RESIZED.jpg

I plan on installing the visor within the next couple of days. I might be able to accomplish that task tonight but we will see.

Thanks for stopping by!

DSCN1539 RESIZED.jpg

DSCN1574 RESIZED.jpg

DSCN1572 RESIZED.jpg

DSCN1569 RESIZED.jpg

Loving the info I'm getting on dyeing visors! It's really useful, thank you so much :)

Loving the info I'm getting on dyeing visors! It's really useful, thank you so much :)
Your welcome! I'm glad I was able to relay some good information.

Mounting the visor into my helmet is almost complete. All that is left is to trim away some caulk and paint it up.

How has your heater set up held up so far? Any obvious problems or concerns?

i just very lightly sprayed my visor gold and i can see pretty good out.

How has your heater set up held up so far? Any obvious problems or concerns?
So far I have only used my heater in one run, which consisted of about an hour. As far as I can tell, my heater set has worked pretty well. I get a nice even heat distribution with the box around it. I know that some reviewers on amazon mentioned something about the draw string (it activates the heater) eventually fraying out. I haven't ran into that problem yet so I'm extra careful that I don't pull the string too hard. Other than that, I think it will last for a good while before it quits on me.
i just very lightly sprayed my visor gold and i can see pretty good out.
What kind of spray paint did you use? Does the paint give off a mirror effect to prevent others from seeing your face in the helmet?

ya but it was too hard to see so there is line with no paint.

- - - Updated - - -

IMAG0097.jpg

like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back